How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-12-2007
fashion icon

i work at urban...its a pretty bomb discount if you pick and choose some good pieces out...

02-01-2008
trendsetter

I don't hate the store. I just find it way overpriced, and I tend to always get disappointed in the clothes. The shoes are fine.

02-01-2008
tfs star

I like UO... They kind of have to be "trendy" don't they to live up to their claim to urbanity.
I also adore their book collection

scenester

Well, you don't have the store here yet (holland) but im an absolute fan of the two times I was there. I went there when i was in NY and i absolutly loved the store!

x

06-01-2008
All that Glitters is Gold

I've always liked the store for decent quality cheap and simple items but when I heard about them stealing graphic designers ideas/designs without crediting them (I think a lot of this has to do with what people said about the CEO of the company) I got turned off and haven't been there in years. I still have everything I've bought from there though and the tanks/t shirts are still some of my favorites.

windowshopping

UO also gets more flack for being kind of, "a la carte", as in, people without a clue who want to look urban or like a hipster go there and slavishly buy into the "lifestyle" that the company totes. Its more of a store for people who want to buy style instead of putting it together themselves for cheaper--most of the stuff sold there is meant to look like it was $5 from a thrift store, and it is true that someone with a good eye could put themselves together with a similar but more original look for less. In that way the store's message is hypocritical--paying yuppie prices for the "hipster lifestyle" crap with the goal to look poor and artistic. I understand that there are other stores that suffer from the same image, such as American Apparel, but typically the things sold at urban are more expensive, and more of a "watered down" or slightly out of date take on current hipster trends, whereas AA is more unidentifiable if you wish it to be.

09-01-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterhours View Post
UO also gets more flack for being kind of, "a la carte", as in, people without a clue who want to look urban or like a hipster go there and slavishly buy into the "lifestyle" that the company totes. Its more of a store for people who want to buy style instead of putting it together themselves for cheaper--most of the stuff sold there is meant to look like it was $5 from a thrift store, and it is true that someone with a good eye could put themselves together with a similar but more original look for less. In that way the store's message is hypocritical--paying yuppie prices for the "hipster lifestyle" crap with the goal to look poor and artistic. I understand that there are other stores that suffer from the same image, such as American Apparel, but typically the things sold at urban are more expensive, and more of a "watered down" or slightly out of date take on current hipster trends, whereas AA is more unidentifiable if you wish it to be.
To me this post describes best what's wrong with the company.

11-01-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppycakes View Post
I don't hate the store. I just find it way overpriced, and I tend to always get disappointed in the clothes. The shoes are fine.
true true!

barack the vote

I've really been pleasantly suprised by Urban lately. Usually it's always a hit or miss going there. I went in recently and I was shocked to see that they had a ton of stuff I would wear.

22-03-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Do you live in Nebraska?
We have an Urban Outfitters here...

I like UO, but I'm very picky about what I buy there. I almost never get anything that isn't on sale. I like the plain v-neck basics that are like 2 for $25. Sometimes the "Kimchi and Blue" line that they carry has some cute things, too. I got a skirt there awhile back (like 3 years ago) that I really love.

23-03-2008
girl who fell to earth

i just ordered a whole bunch of stuff from urban last night...
i went a little overboard with things i don't really need but i'm excited to receive everything..

i would post pics of the things i ordered but i can't seem to get the photos off of the website..

25-03-2008
fashion icon

i love UO but i must say some of items are indeed not too good in quality. i like the selection on UK UO better at times but it's ridiciously overpriced

rising star

I like UO. Yeah it's obnoxiously trendy but I love to mix their basics with other brands, and I really try to avoid obviously Urban items. My style tends to be a little more structured and clean cut so it's a nice way to mix things up. Also, as mentioned above, Kimchi and Blue has some nice pieces.

06-04-2008
rising star

hi, I'm going to New York next week and I was wondering which urban outfitters store would be best for me to visit. Which store has the biggest selection? Any advice would be much appreciated. THANKS!!!

11-04-2008
girl who fell to earth

^^try posting in the New York shopping thread..
you might get some answers in there

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
outfitters, urban