How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-11-2007
oh! darling

Wal-Mart
Don't laugh

I adore Wal-Mart! Such variety and such low prices! I love starring at the lobster tank the most.

I work at a military grocery store, and the prices there are usually 30% lower than average grocerty stores.

That's a big fat lie because Gatorade is $1 at the Air Force Academy while at Wal-Mart, it's just 87 cents!

Sweet.

The clothing selection is but food-wise, I worship Wal-Mart.

Anyone else care to fess up about their love of the Wal?

(Yeah, it's taking over America but I can't control that...
except that I do by buying their products,
but where else can I buy fresh pomegrante
and a pamphlet that shows me how to enjoy that pomegrante? )

01-11-2007
the crying of humanity

Wal-Mart has great deals, especially on my favorite brand of yogurt. Now if only it weren't so crowded every time I visit.

Meg
inspired contemplation

Maybe in the states it's different but I find their food selection abysmal but i prefer eating from local suppliers anyway. I just can't imagine anything produced on that mass of a scale can taste good. Same goes for the clothing (except not in regards to taste!)

01-11-2007
stories everywhere

mmm... no. i hate walmart. i never ever ever shop there.

girl who fell to earth

the only thing i really buy from wal-mart are feminine products

and toothpaste...
and lotion..
and shampoo/conditioner..

haven't been there in a long time though..

i never actually go near the clothing..
always bypass it completely..

i used to buy CDs and DVDs there as well..
good prices..

but the stores themselves can often be very... dingy i guess is the word..

front row

Ohhh god I have such disdain for Walmart. Its dirty and dingy, terrible service and nothing is ever in stock. If I need toothpaste or a DVD/CD I go to Target, which is amazing.

02-11-2007
the crying of humanity

^ That must just be your local Wal-Mart(s), because the locations around me are always stocked with any item I'm looking for.

rising star

i used to love wal-mart as much as the next person, but i recommend anyone to pick up "The Wal-Mart Effect" and think about why their prices are so low. it's a real eye-opener.

03-11-2007
living in the sprawl

^ I agree with you there too_chic, Wal-Mart, in my own humble opinion... is the epitome of an evil corporate giant! Haven't shopped there in 2 years...

y-piece,
and tu
rned into a castle for some towering queen
03-11-2007
oh! darling

My Economics professor said that if you invested just $1,000 when Wal-Mart first started in 1976-78, you would have over $6M today!

That's how much Wal-Mart has grown. Impressive.

Over 32M in the US are living in poverty, so I can see why Wal-Mart would attract so many of the poorer citizens. They'll get a break anywhere they can.

Quote:
That must just be your local Wal-Mart(s), because the locations around me are always stocked with any item I'm looking for.
Agreed, seanut. The Wal-Marts I go to are always stocked, but some of them don't have the same items at each location. I always need yogurt bunny treats for my bunnies, but my closest location doesn't carry it.

Zen
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_levante View Post
My Economics professor said that if you invested just $1,000 when Wal-Mart first started in 1976-78, you would have over $6M today!

That's how much Wal-Mart has grown. Impressive.

Over 32M in the US are living in poverty, so I can see why Wal-Mart would attract so many of the poorer citizens. They'll get a break anywhere they can.

Agreed, seanut. The Wal-Marts I go to are always stocked, but some of them don't have the same items at each location. I always need yogurt bunny treats for my bunnies, but my closest location doesn't carry it.
That is what Wal-Mart has wanted for years. Let's make sure that our store is the only store those low income families can shop at.

2 Years ago, my friend Jennifer told me that Wal-Mart offered her father sum of money so that wal-mart can tear it down to build their business there. Several other family mom and pop stores were offered the same money. People declined the money just like Jennifer's dad. But some how wal-mart magaged to kick these mom and pop stores to the curve. (no doubt money was all that it took to pay the county mayor) I feel that was wrong. Jen's dad had that business for 23 years. He had no plans for retirement anytime. But Wal-Mart made sure he did. Wal-Mart sucks. I don't care how cheap their food, clothing, and toys are, but all their business pratices are discusting.

Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGzHBtoVvpc

03-11-2007
Press escape to continue.

Call me radical - I can't bear to enter a Wal-Mart, and I never have. It's right up there with fast food in my opinion. Ewwwwwww.

tfs star

yeah I worked there for two summers when I was in high school. I will never ever give them my money again. The way they treat their employees is deplorable. I was lucky since it was just a summer job, but for the people that need that job to live, it's terrible. One of the most awful things that they do is they keep people just under on hours so they don't have to pay them benefits but they are still basically working full time.

rising star

Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all a wal-mart fan. But I wonder just how much of the reason people hate them is due to their success. Because I'm almost certain a lot of corporations are like that... It's just the nature of what success has come to be. Most major corporations, in order to secure profits, take advantage of people in some part of the world. Especially true for the retail industry. Just think about all our clothing and where it's made...

03-11-2007
Zen
V.I.P.

^ Believe me, there are plenty of BIG companies people dislike because they are at the top, but WAL MART is disliked by so many because of their business practices, and various other prejudice and racist practices as well. Target isn't mentioned as much because they don't have that kind of a reputation.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
walmart