How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-04-2004
scenester

i would just wash it then wear it, who really cares as long as the armpits dont smell bad or anything

25-04-2004
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally posted by banana@Apr 23rd, 2004 - 3:25 pm
I guess there must be better vintage boutiques in Toronto. Most of the ones I've been to are so overpriced and questionable whether or not the pieces are really vintage.
I have the issue of price a lot, actually. If you go to a vintage store, the clothes may be beautiful but tend to cost the same as or more than what you find at ordinary stores. If you're getting something special the pricing can be overlooked, but buying an entire wardrobe there would be absurd. Purple, I'm so jealous of your vintage dresses, for example, because you always say that they were $8 or so. Here, they would probably be upwards of $50 (at least). Thrift stores can be different, but strictly vintage stores can be a problem.

I don't really mind the 'previously worn' thing except with certain items. I mean, I would obviously never buy underwear used , but certain items can feel odd used, too, even clean. I think it depends on the store, but it has to feel clean.

As for the story idea, I agree that it's nice to wonder about the people who wore the things before you, especially nice things like fancy dresses. Even if I don't buy the evening things (the nice ones and the truly dreadful ones ), it's fun to imagine what sort of event they went to, etc.

26-04-2004
Fierce Flava

Quote:
Originally posted by purplelucrezia@Apr 23rd, 2004 - 11:22 am
Actually, this is going to sounds strange, but I kind of like the idea of someone having worn it before me. Gives the item a bit of history, I think. I always like wondering what they wore it for and how it ended up where it was.
Same here..sometimes when I wear it I try to imagine who the person was and where they wear it etc...I think its kinda fun playing guessing games...like playing dress up with some else's clothes.

Jairip, I'm from LA too. If you don't have too much patience for junk thrift/vintage stores why won't you try Squaresville or Jet Rag..I always seem to find some kool things there...Also Jet Rag has a Sunday dollar bin parking lot sale and I find some great accessories there. I'm a vintage person, just ask me if you ever need some stores in LA.

26-04-2004
front row

If I'm lucky that trench will still be there.

I wonder if the dry cleaners have a "new clothes" sent to spray on it just like car washers have the "new car" scent that they spray?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
vintage, wearing