How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-04-2004
front row

I love buying vintage accessories. Last time I went shopping though I spotted a peach trench coat. It was so nice and it was my size. I was about to buy it when I thought to myself "someone else wore this". I don't know if it was the smell of the store but suddenly I felt as if I was paying for something someone else threw out as trash.

I buy vintage bags and accessories all the time, I don't know why I have a problem with the clothes.

Do you guys take it for a special dry cleaning before you wear it? (even if it's been already washed by the store?)

23-04-2004
no tom ford, no thanks.

i have that same issue...i just take it to the cleaners as a rule because a lot of vintage has this "smell" that's really indescribable...it's not smoke, but something just old and stale.

Adorable illusion

I agree with you Fortezza - i love buying vintage bags but to be on the safe side if you like, i must wash the vintage clothes i buy before i wear them.

23-04-2004
V.I.P.

I can't really, since most of my purchases are dresses, which tend to be pretty fragile. Actually, this is going to sounds strange, but I kind of like the idea of someone having worn it before me. Gives the item a bit of history, I think. I always like wondering what they wore it for and how it ended up where it was.

23-04-2004
backstage pass

I think the main reason why I don't own a lot of vintage is that I find that thrift stores absolutely reek! I can't spend too much time in there looking for bargains because the smell gets to me.

23-04-2004
V.I.P.

I generally don't go into thrift stores myself really. Only actual "vintage" stores. Instead of must, the majority of my clothing now smells incense instead!

23-04-2004
backstage pass

I guess there must be better vintage boutiques in Toronto. Most of the ones I've been to are so overpriced and questionable whether or not the pieces are really vintage.

23-04-2004
V.I.P.

We have that as well. I remember seeing some ugly jackets that some store was trying to pass off as vintage. Kind of funny really... I do think that you can actually find some good stuff if you dig though.

23-04-2004
windowshopping

I live in Los Angeles, and we are choked with Vintage stores. It makes you wonder where it all comes from. And really where's the line between Vintage and just plain junk. I just don't have the patience to sift thru all that crap to find one true item. If you want Vintage, just start hanging on to everything you own from, say, 16 on.. JK!

Besides, remember the old saying...If you were old enough to where it the first time around, you're too old to where it now.

Jairip

23-04-2004
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by purplelucrezia@Apr 23rd, 2004 - 8:22 pm
. Actually, this is going to sounds strange, but I kind of like the idea of someone having worn it before me. Gives the item a bit of history, I think. I always like wondering what they wore it for and how it ended up where it was.
me too

i seldom enjoy wearing vintage coats or holding vintage bags but there are always reasons for exception.
cant even think of wearing used/vintage shoes.. and i've seen some very cute around

in anycase either wash or dryclean everything before even touching it..

note that all mass distributed used/vintage clothes go through extreme temperatures for serilisation (sp?) or dry cleaning before reaching the customer.

23-04-2004
backstage pass

There is this one so called "vintage" store near my house that is basically just an overpriced salvation army. Most of the stuff are 90's vintage inspired clothing that was probably sold at the mall brand new for the same price that they are selling it used.

23-04-2004
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by purplelucrezia@Apr 23rd, 2004 - 8:44 pm
I generally don't go into thrift stores myself really. Only actual "vintage" stores. Instead of must, the majority of my clothing now smells incense instead!
i go to both and i always find amazing little things

but then i've been practicing for too long (16-25)

btw, you know, vintage 'boutiques' just raid the thrift shops,
they just find the best things between all this mess and then
they sell it five times up -or more.
most mix thrift shop finds with real 'special' vintage found in
flee markets or even vintage trade shows. and they work from there.

most 'vintage' i've seen online looks suspiciously contemporary

23-04-2004
V.I.P.

I throw it in the hamper, my mother washes it, and I wear it. For coats or suits, I get them cleaned.

23-04-2004
Proponent of Plaid

I actually like that old-attic smell.

I have no worries about whether or not somebody else wore it before I did. That's the whole point of secondhand. Hell, even a brand new dress you buy at a shop has probably had 20 different people try it on first.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by As You Like It@Apr 23rd, 2004 - 10:28 pm
I actually like that old-attic smell.

I have no worries about whether or not somebody else wore it before I did. That's the whole point of secondhand. Hell, even a brand new dress you buy at a shop has probably had 20 different people try it on first.
That's how I feel as well.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
vintage, wearing