What Do You Splurge On? - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
07-08-2004
backstage pass

Jeans, because I can wear them everyday and it can make any shirt look good. I also splurge on quality coats, because like jeans, those can also be worn often, and handbags, because they get beaten up easily, and I want classics that will last.

08-08-2004
front row

Dresses by far. I have at least 2 floor length evening gowns in my wardrobe which I haven't even worn yet.

08-08-2004
windowshopping

Coats and jackets because i always need one. Wether its in winter or not (well i wear jackets when it rains in summer) and another splurge would be accessories, especially watches , handbags and wallets. I also loove underwears, i love buying new ones

09-08-2004
ingenue

definitely jeans. I never wear them in summer, but in the winter I consider them part of my "outerwear" and spend just as much on good pair of jeans as I would a good coat. I don't spend a lot of money on clothes but jeans are the exception.

I do hoard cashmere (sweaters, scarves, etc), but I usually buy it consigned or vintage so I don't splurge on it, even though I do consider it a luxury item... :grrr:

09-08-2004
trendsetter

Handbag(luggage/vanity cases)
shoes (big feet, spends more for size and style)
my children - i have no budget when it comes to her wardrobe and accessories
designer makeup

09-08-2004
kabhi alvida

bags-i love them. I think it's really important to carry a special handbag that you love. And starbucks coffee-i think starbucks should make me a gold customer award or something!

Fierce Flava

lately I've been noticing I['ve been buying skirts in abundance..

also the thing that never changes...make up....I am a well know customer at Sephora and MAC already...

09-08-2004
rising star

Quote:
Originally posted by Sephora_Socialite@Aug 9 2004, 06:31 PM
lately I've been noticing I['ve been buying skirts in abundance..

also the thing that never changes...make up....I am a well know customer at Sephora and MAC already...
[snapback]326356[/snapback]
yeah, makeup would be one of my splurges, too.... I'm a makeup whore!! Thank goodness for my MAC employee discount or I'd be broke!

09-08-2004
& R.V.R

on a lot of crap

windowshopping

Blazers. I've always had this obsession with them. Shoes are definitely up there as well.

10-08-2004
rock-chic

Boots, boots & more boots!!
& loads of other stuff too! (lots of crap)

windowshopping

Designer jeans and handbags are the main thing i splurge on.

11-08-2004
rising star

i'll spend any amount on a nice coat, but on almost everything else i'd skip if i didn't like the price.

15-08-2004
rising star

I splurge on skirts as they're my favourite. I'm not a trouser person.

15-08-2004
Proponent of Plaid

There needs to be an "other" category! Because I almost never buy ready-to-wear clothes, but I can do some damange to my checking account in a fabric shop. I can easily go into a fabric shop looking to just buy a piece of corduroy for some new pants and come out with fabric for two pair of pants, three shirts, and some cool buttons for a someday project. Granted the $40-$70 I can spend in one trip to the fabric shop isn't a patch on what some of the rest of you spend on a shopping spree, I do manage to get quite a lot out of my fashion dollar.

My big plan is for what will be a very elegant and wonderful, but painfully expensive winter coat, probably for next winter, as it is probably going to cost me about $300-400 in materials alone.

The coat I am making is a lot like this except that it has pockets trimmed with the contrast fabric, and mine will be in a tweedy plaid in shades of moss green, olive green, dark green, tan, and black. The contrast trim will be moss green velvet and I will make a co-ordinating hat in the velvet with soutache trim, and possibly a couple of peacock tips. I will probably do some soutache braid trimming on the collar and pockets of the coat, too. I have a considerable fondness for passamenterie.

My coat will have a slipper satin lining and a Thinsulate inner lining, because winters here in Kansas City suck. Here's a back view of the same coat, but made mid-calf length.

I reckon this coat will be pretty much a long-term investment. A good coat can last for years and years, and since this is such an antique style, I won't worry about it going out of fashion, since it's already been out of fashion for about 100 years. All the sites that show versions of this coat already made offer it for between $400 and $700, so whatever I spend on materials will be a savings already on the ready-to-wear version, plus I will have the fabric and colors I want.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
splurge