How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-10-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdK
my dior homme jeans are like 38 inches
boy that is LONG!
Baron, the balenciagas are quite long, too...but 38?? ON the other hand, at least the makers are quite generous on material. I wonder if Dior Homme and Balenciaga leave a little fabric on their jackets as well...my tailor was complaining how little the Alberta Ferretti jackets provide on the seam. One of his female customers gained a little weight, and he was not able to take the waist out at all...

Do you guys wear pants low on hips or high? Mr.caffeine always wears pants low and the butt part looks flat and baggy.I hate that, but I think wearing pants higher will make guys look like geeks...what's the best solution and fit?

29-10-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeine
Do you guys wear pants low on hips or high? Mr.caffeine always wears pants low and the butt part looks flat and baggy.I hate that, but I think wearing pants higher will make guys look like geeks...what's the best solution and fit?
That can be quite a dilemma. For me, Dior Homme jeans/pants are not-too-low and not-too-high AND fitted on the butt, which makes me very happy. No other brand has done that for me; there's always something wrong. I could never wear Helmut Lang again. *cringes*

And DH jeans tend to have a 36 inch seam, but remember...they're meant to bunch up at the ankles.

Last edited by AlexN; 29-10-2005 at 09:28 AM.
29-10-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
That's why there are pants/jeans cut to be worn on hips . I love Dior and Junya Watanabe jeans, most of them are meant to be worn on the hips and are cut appropriately.

29-10-2005
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN
That can be quite a dilemma. For me, Dior Homme jeans/pants are not-too-low and not-too-high AND fitted on the butt, which makes me very happy. No other brand has done that for me; there's always something wrong. I could never wear Helmut Lang again. *cringes*

And DH jeans tend to have a 36 inch seam, but remember...they're meant to bunch up at the ankles.
I think it can go either way with Helmut Lang pants. The skinny pair I have are made with a heavy cotton twill and the inseam is long (maybe 33 or 34) so they bunch up around the ankles and they are low-waisted (like a pair of jeans) to deal with the problem of the droopy-flat behind. I'd say the width of the cuff at the bottom is 7".

On the other hand the other pair of Helmuts I have are 100% virgin wool and they are very loose and kind of cut on the baggy side and are high-waisted with a very short inseam (almost Thom Browne style.) A totally different look altogether.

(edit: I realized I took pictures when I was thinking about selling them on eBay:

pictures taken and hosted by myself)

Last edited by Phaeton; 29-10-2005 at 04:08 PM.
29-10-2005
front row

Quote:
I think the thing is not too think in terms of wearing them at different heights at the waist, but to make sure the crotch is at the right height. Then the rise of the trousers depends on how high they sit on the hips. It makes sure they fit as they're meant to.

If they do look geeky worn like that then the solution is lower-rise trousers, not wearing the same trousers lower.

29-10-2005
V.I.P.

Thanks for the contributions guys Originally I was asking for girls' pants but now I realize how important it is to find nice pants for men. I will make him try some DH pants to see how they look. You guys really should upload some pictures with you in dress pants because in my experience, it's easier to find low rise jeans than low rise dress pants......

29-10-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Thanks for the contributions guys Originally I was asking for girls' pants but now I realize how important it is to find nice pants for men. I will make him try some DH pants to see how they look. You guys really should upload some pictures with you in dress pants because in my experience, it's easier to find low rise jeans than low rise dress pants......
Actually, IT IS much harder for a guy to find well fitting clothes, especially in the US. Unlike in Europe, in the US guys are meant to be stupid sloppy apes, and the mass market clothes are produced accordingly - bad fit, horrible fabrics and colors are an indispensible part of the socially acceptable masculinity. JFC, sometimes I really hate the country I live in .

29-10-2005
Stitch:the Hand

^Amen.

29-10-2005
V.I.P.

Double amen and karma for you, Faust.

30-10-2005
trendsetter

D Squared
D sqaured make some really nice cropped ones..... here....

30-10-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faust
Actually, IT IS much harder for a guy to find well fitting clothes, especially in the US. Unlike in Europe, in the US guys are meant to be stupid sloppy apes, and the mass market clothes are produced accordingly - bad fit, horrible fabrics and colors are an indispensible part of the socially acceptable masculinity. JFC, sometimes I really hate the country I live in .
well, you are still so nicely dressed Being living in America also makes you stand out in crowd. But I agree, the mass market products are quite blah. women's stuff is the same... besides, the sizes are bigger and bigger. You guys will never meet this kind of situation, but I, who is definitely not considered skinny among Asian girls, am not able to buy pants from any mass produced brand

30-10-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
You guys will never meet this kind of situation, but I, who is definitely not considered skinny among Asian girls, am not able to buy pants from any mass produced brand
That's my biggest problem. Even most high-end designers don't make stuff that fits me. That's why I only wear a few labels.

31-10-2005
front row

I second faust's endorsement of Raf Simons skinny pants, and the Junya Watanabe jeans for men.

Helmut Lang does (er, did ) make some very nice low-waisted cuts. I have a pair of the Low Waist Contour Fit that are one of my favorite pairs of jeans.

But in the end, paullw has it exactly right - the key is finding jeans/pants where the crotch sits properly, and then they can be as high- or low-waisted as you care for them to be.

Unfortunately, faust preaches the truth: this really is tough for men in America, since the high-street standard seems to be a baggy, longer-than-necessary rise that tends to make the whole area between the waist and the top of the thigh poof out a bit.

31-10-2005
V.I.P.

^Thanks Baron.
As part of the experiment, I ordered a pair of Miumiu pants, a pair of Costume National pants, and a pair of Balenciaga pants from Yoox. Let's see how they fit on me...

31-10-2005
front row

From what I've seen, Costume National have some nice skinny ones that look good on the runway models...we'll see how that translates to you.

We should start a pool to see which ones you pick - my bet's on the Balenciaga.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
makers, pants, skinny