How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-06-2009
trendsetter

For me, 90's make-up is less is more! Very nude lips with little bit of eye liner and mascara I love the look

03-06-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gincat View Post
But it started getting a little colder as the millennium approached. More purples, and metallic colors.
I agree .

Quote:
Thanks for starting this thread! I have a special fondness for the 90's.

V.I.P.

Ok, I think i have to explain a bit my point of view about this topic.
Some of you talk about the shades, even if i agree about that brown colour...this is not the only thing i was thinking when i decided to make the thread.
This thread is based on pictures of supermodels.
I was thinking about a way to put the makeup especially: [ Strong/done eyebrows + what we call "the banana" (eyeshadow on upper eyelid, quite clear color of eyeshadow in middle of the eyelid) + eyeliner + lip pencil ]

When i look at pictures back then i often see this kind of makeup:

Click to enlarge!

myspace.com/natural_blonde_hottie

There was also other kind of makeup of course, but i mean, for me "this" makeup, this way of putting the make-up is really the makeup which represent the 90's. (And there was a period supermodels were having thin eyebrows also.)
Perhaps i'm wrong but i think this kind of look, that way to put makeup is really "90's".

So i guess i must enlarge a bit this topic to "The makeup that represent most the 90's for you".
That's better.

Post pictures to illustrate !!!!!

V.I.P.

So, for me .... when i think 90's , this is the makeup which come mainly to my mind. What i remember well.

I will post more pics later.

myspace.com/natural_blonde_hottie

Storm & Sommer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekka View Post
Ok, I think i have to explain a bit my point of view about this topic.
Some of you talk about the shades, even if i agree about that brown colour...this is not the only thing i was thinking when i decided to make the thread. This thread is based on pictures of supermodels.
I was thinking about a way to put the makeup especially: [ Strong/done eyebrows + what we call "the banana" (eyeshadow on upper eyelid, quite clear color of eyeshadow in middle of the eyelid) + eyeliner + lip pencil ]
I think we're getting what you're saying..
I mentioned contouring
Quote:
makeup that focuses on shading and accentuating features..plays with light and shadow
..and so did Gincat

Dark color in the crease of the eye to emphasis the depth..and light color on the browbone and middle of eyelid as contrast both in color but also in a play of depth..

pinterest : hanneonpin
03-06-2009
V.I.P.

Oh ok!

V.I.P.

Quote:
Dark color in the crease of the eye to emphasis the depth..and light color on the browbone and middle of eyelid as contrast both in color but also in a play of depth".
yes!!!That's right!
i understand better like that

Well, everything is ok now :p

ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

hated the lipliner...especially the horrid black one and the thin eye brows. loved the androgynous make up and the glam looks

don't look down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekka View Post
When i look at pictures back then i often see this kind of makeup:
When you look back at pictures from that time, you often see the work of the make-up artist Kevyn Aucoin, who did that picture of Naomi Campbell, first seen in an issue of Allure (that editorial was a series of supermodel shots).

Kevyn was a make-up magician, and he was into the idea of contouring as a way to take control of the shape of your face, for transformation and also for fun.

I think Kevyn worked behind-the-scenes for Vogue etc since the mid-eighties, but it was the 90's when he really rose to being known as more of a household name (if your household was mascara-mad and subscribed to Allure). And before that, he also played an important part in product creation, as his wiki entry states:

Quote:
Ultima II

In 1983, Revlon hired Kevyn Aucoin, at the age of 21, as Creative Director for their prestige Ultima II line of cosmetics. A year later, Aucoin would launch The New Nakeds (later renamed The Nakeds), a groundbreaking line that was a strong counterpoint to cosmetics available at the time. Says Linda Wells, editor of Allure magazine, of the line: "It may not seem like it, but it was a powerful moment. Before, there were makeup lines for white women and others for black women. But he worked to design makeup for all skin tones. The idea was to empower a woman by revealing her natural beauty, and not to cover her up with layers of product."[3]

The New Nakeds

The New Nakeds embraced a radically different aesthetic than the norm of the time: foundations that featured a yellow undertone, instead of pink or peach; eyeshadows, lipstick and blushes were brown-based, neutral tones that were free of the pastel, vivid, or sparkly colours cosmetics companies knew sold better.[4] Although Ultima II (and all of Revlon's beauty divisions) were in a decline at the time,[5] the New Nakeds resuscitated interest in the brand and help re-establish Ultima II as a viable competitor in the prestige arena.
The colors, textures and finishes Aucoin created in the New Nakeds would serve as the most influential direction of the latter part of the century, and visible as brands MAC, Bobbi Brown, and Laura Mercier all launched with their version of the products Aucoin created years earlier.

Kevyn Aucoin Cosmetics

Later, Aucoin would work with Japanese cosmetics giant Shiseido on their Inoui line.[6] He would later be approached by both Vincent Longo and Laura Mercier to endorse their eponymous lines, [7] but decided to launch his own brand, Kevyn Aucoin Beauty, in 2001 instead.

18-07-2009
windowshopping

The 90's were about Kevyn Aucoin and Bobbi Brown. If you can find both of their earliest books on makeup you will find a lot of the tips and tricks used on celebs and supermodels, if you so choose. Kevyn was really the supermodel go to guy though, where Bobbi was more of the celebrity makeup artist. Earth tones were big-but other go to palettes were purples and pinks.

19-07-2009
In Bloom

For me, 90's beauty equals butchered eyebrows and overdone lipliner. Really not aesthetically pleasing...

we were in love

14-08-2009
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ida View Post
For me, 90's beauty equals butchered eyebrows and overdone lipliner. Really not aesthetically pleasing...
Exactly; couldn't agree with you more.

In Bloom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUc5z...eature=channel

we were in love

11-09-2009
Riot Bug

I think the 90s were so raw and natural in a way from a music perspective...but i love how all those pictures look like you know how natural glows so models were first...wasn't that the big era of the super models? Maybe cause they weren't as big time painted and photoshopped even!! Love of those natural tones in the make up even when im a big fan of the extreme make up from the 60s and 70s ...this make up is gorgeous!!

fashion icon

linda evangelista is like the epitome of the 90's makeup "aesthetic" because she had that sort of natural plump lips arched brow thing going on and everyone seemed to try to emulate that with makeup. so gorgeous though.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
90, makeup