How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-10-2010
front row

**Btw, To Any acne scar/red mark sufferers:

I had horrrendoussss acne scars since the beginning of this year, and I felt so insecure about it, I felt like they would never go away, then a couple of days ago i realized..hey wait a second...they are all gone! It was like magic! (however its not without a lot of time and effort) Here's my advice. Exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate. I use a product called Ocean Salt from LUSH about once a week. Sometimes i use a glycolic cleanser from mario badescu. and the number one product i think helped me the most was a topical prescription called Ziana. I was using it mainly to clear up my pimples, and its pretty decent, but i realized ever since i started using it it totally cleared up my scars. You must be patient though, as they will NOT clear up overnight. But with time and a little effort, they DO go away.

PS: acne.org is a great site if you want reviews on products. i actually looked up ziana on there and quite a few ppl said it cleared up their scars, and my dermatologist said the same thing!

02-11-2010
scenester

the best thing i ever did for my acne was go on the pill. my skin has been perfect ever since. that along with a gentle cleanser and a good moisturiser has helped me tremendously.

front row

Right now, my dermatologist has me on Acanya gel during the day and Tazorac gel at night. It makes me so dry, constantly! I feel dry all the time, and I've only just started this. Tuesday was my first day with the Acanya, I think.

Has anyone been on either one of these and can give me some advice for the dry skin? I'm using Cetaphil moisturizer on top of the gels, but that just makes me look really shiny, while my skin still feels dry. :/

04-11-2010
rising star

^ I haven't taken them before and I don't know if it will work with this, but i've been taking hyaluronic acid supplements recently, they are supposed to help prevent moisture loss in your skin and they've made mine less dry. If you take them and drink lots of water, it could help.. And when you cleanse your skin, use a cleansing milk or lotion instead of water.

04-11-2010
front row

Okay thanks, I'll look into that!

I think the problem is that the moisturizers I've used in the past don't actually moisturize. They only make me appear "moisturized" and I end up having to wipe it off with tissue and it feels like I'm just wiping off slob and grime, yuck.

I need something that will moisturize me without leaving me shiny and greasy. A moisturizer for oilier skin.

04-11-2010
V.I.P.

Has anyone tried the clinique dark spot treatment? I've seen a few ads on tv and was wondering how well they clear up acne scars

front row

^^^I have, didnt really do much, maybe a tiny bit but barely noticeable if so

05-11-2010
V.I.P.

^ thank you but oh what a bummer!

front row

I've tried EVERYTHING and my skin is been getting worse and worse every year.
I started having acne 3 years ago and I recently decided that I needed a healthier diet, so I started eating fruit everyday, drinking a lot of water and my skin is soooooooo different now, it's way better!

Even though many doctors say it has nothing to do with what you eat, I can clearly say that to me, it has A LOT to do with what I eat.

V.I.P.

doctors are full of ****. what you eat does affect your skin. i break out when i eat cheese.

on another note, ive been using vichy normaderm and its really calmed down my skin and gets rids of break outs fast.

22-11-2010
V.I.P.

^This may be true for some people but there are plenty of healthy vegetarians out there with acne.

23-11-2010
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailme. View Post
doctors are full of ****. what you eat does affect your skin. i break out when i eat cheese.

on another note, ive been using vichy normaderm and its really calmed down my skin and gets rids of break outs fast.
You may be having an allergic reaction not acne.

23-11-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulyss View Post
^This may be true for some people but there are plenty of healthy vegetarians out there with acne.
((raises hand))

But I do think that if I didn't eat healthy/clean that my skin would be even WORSE.
Right now the only real "offender" would be my caffiene intake and not gonna give up my mornin' joe. But otherwise I'm no dairy/meat/chocolate/fast food/pesticides...blahblahblah

"...insanity is thinking that you need something you don't have. The mere fact that you exist right now without that which you think you need is proof that you don't need it."-Byron Katie (<-DOESNT APPLY to SHOES) TheFitChick.com *~* TWITTER me
23-11-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppyAzura View Post
You may be having an allergic reaction not acne.
how can you tell?

30-11-2010
scenester

I think everyone's body is different and will respond to different treatments accordingly.

In my personal experience, using gentle products (Evan Healy is a great range), avoiding sugar, keeping a perspective on stress, and adequete rest and water helped me.

However, I'd say the greatest change in my skin happened after I stopped being vegan after 3 1/2 years. Concidentally, that period of my life was also the start of my skin going haywire. My physician was able to show me that my hormones were way off and since I've introducted fish and meat into my diet and my levels have corrected themselves without medication. This may work for some.

My point is my body wasn't happy with being vegan and I ate healthful then (organic fruits, vegetables, and limited processed foods) as I do now. The difference is my skin looks much healthier and seldom suffers breakouts. Would I rather be vegan? Yes, I think it's ethically and environmentally a wonderful thing to do but I'd rather not experience the health problems or skin woes I developed.

As far as allergies, I've been tested for food allergies and find it best to avoid certain foods, but moderate amounts don't seem to affect my skin. I'm allergic to chocolate and while I don't notice any connection to breakouts with eating it my face will become flushed and red after one chocolate too many. It's worse with the dark chocolate with the higher cocoa content which I hate because that's the healthiest kind overall. I do think the best way to determine if something you're eating is affecting your skin is to eliminate it for 6 weeks and see if there's improvement. Also, pay attention to how your body responds overall to what you've eaten. Gluten gives me stomach pains and I tend to break out after simple carbs and starches, so that may be connected

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, acne, thread