How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-04-2011
V.I.P.

yup you're right she should try the bioderma brand it usually does wonder and its dermatologist recommended

25-04-2011
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayoflight View Post
^ That's tough, considering Toleriane has just 6 or 7 ingredients+water in it.
Perhaps Avene Tolérance Extrême Cleansing Lotion? Has just 5 mostly inert ingredients+water high in silica that helps calm skin down. Tolérance Extrême is very low on fatty acid esters, perhaps your skin reacts to those. Or maybe it's the glycerin, but most cleansers, even simplest soaps have that, I think Bioderma Sensibio H20 cleansing micellar water has no glycerin and also is simple yet effective.
Interesting that you mentioned the glycerin thing. In my teens, tried during a week to clean my face with simple glycerin soap=one of the worst breakouts I ever had! My normal cleanser did not have glycerin. Tried a lot of cleansers in the past and they always broke me out and/or irritate my skin. I only used water to wash my face for years.
Just had a quick look through the ingredient list of my skincare products and, besides the toleriane cleanser, I only have a body sunscreen that contains glycerin (3rd in the ingredient list) and I don't use it on my chest or back because it breaks me out too.

Maybe I will try the highly raved bioderma. It's cheap and easy to get where I live. Thanks rayoflight and Kenysha75

27-04-2011
trendsetter

Is there any moisturizer or face wash etc designed for men that works? I need recommendations. TY.

Preferably cheap. I'm usually broke. lol

29-04-2011
V.I.P.

^I would recommend La Roche-Posay Effaclar Purifying Foaming Gel
its in my top 5 facewash

And for a moisturizer uriage emolliente or just a spray thermal spray water la roche posay

echemist.co.uk
pharma-rocade-beaute.com
.webmarchand.com

front row

To those of you with sensitive skin, I've found that washing my face once a day with a very mild cleanser vs. twice a day made a huge difference. Wash with the cleanser at night and in the morning just with water.

I'm 31 and have battled cystic acne since I was 19. I also have PCOS, which I think is the cause of my acne, which follows hormonal acne descriptions and patterns. I've finally broken down and tried the pill (Yaz), as Accutane, various topicals, oral antibiotics, and just about every natural method out there have not successfully eliminated my acne.

The first month of Yaz was acne hell (an enormous NECK acne outbreak! WTF??), but now in the 2nd month things are slowly calming down. I've heard people recommend giving it 3-5 months before you expect to see results.

If you have persistent cystic acne that doesn't seem to change despite many lifestyle changes, I would suggest getting evaluated for something like PCOS or another hormonal imbalance. That knowledge would help your dermatologist select a more appropriate acne treatment plan. I've found that the times that I've lost weight or exercised a lot my acne has improved, too, which is in line with the PCOS connection.

Hope that might help some of you!

07-05-2011
front row

Quote:
To those of you with sensitive skin, I've found that washing my face once a day with a very mild cleanser vs. twice a day made a huge difference. Wash with the cleanser at night and in the morning just with water.
Totally agree!!! Less products work wonders for your skin!

And for those of you with oily and combination skin i can recommend "Physiogel Hypoallergen A.I. Creme".

12-05-2011
windowshopping

I don't have an acne problem but my son does. I have been on a castor oil kick for two weeks. My skin has never felt better. I put it all over my face about an hour before bed. Pro active did not work on my son, so I had him do the castor oil too. It's a slow process, but his acne is getting much better. His skin looks much more vibrant too and he is getting a lot of compliments. Castor oil absorbs through the skin very well. If you do a search on it's benefits on the skin, it's quite impressive. Some women have also said that it helps eyebrows grow back in from years of over tweezing.

23-05-2011
scenester

I'm 32 years old and since I've started to use cosmetic products I became a victim of Acne... I bought so many many acne products of expensive brands, I went to doctors but nothing could help me. I think my story is different from most of yours, but since I've read that Parabens on cosmetics may cause acne and cancer, I changed my beauty routine. There are several brands with products without parabens or silicon (as Nivea Pure, some stuff from La Roche Posay, Caudalie, some products of Body Shop, etc etc etc). Acne disappeared since I stop using cosmetics and make up without parabens.
I am glad Estee Lauder has several foundations without parabens, that's one of my favorite brands in what concerns to make up. And I really dislike Clinique.

12-06-2011
less is more

I too have tried to cut back on the cleansing. Generally in the morning I'll try to do just water. While in the evening I get home and take off my make-up with a milk cleanser, and at night a proper clean with a wash/soap/scrub depending on its condition.

In past four to five years I've been so frustrated with my skin. I swear I think my skin is worse acne-wise than when I was a teenager. I'm now 23, soon to be 24. Why is this so? I'm fitter and healthier than when I was a teenager.

By no means do I get bad all over acne. It's more the odd spot in the t zone, around and on the nose and around mouth and chin (the typically oily areas of the face). I admit I have trouble stopping myself from picking at them (which I know is terrible), which makes them red etc. But I'm of the obsessive disposition and in the last 18 months I got a new bathroom with very bright lighting and large mirror, which just makes me notice all the little, tiny things even more.

The only change I can think of is that when I was sixteen I became a vegetarian (but I still eat fish). Has years of an unbalanced diet screwed my skin up? I'm not sure if I get the right amounts of protein. I think maybe stress may play a factor, as a find university so much more stressful and time-consuming than the final years of high-school.

I just recently tried out a new product which is great for my situation (occasional spots self-exacerbated by scratching): Malin + Goetz Acne Treatment. It's by far the best acne product I've ever used. You put it on at night (and can't wear it during the days because it leaves visible white marks when applied). It literally takes almost all of the power, pain and redness out of a nasty spot after only one night. For the day, I generally use a clear tea tree gel stick and tea-tree concealer stick. I'm really going to try to stick to my new vow to not pick at my skin.

About Malin + Goetz Acne Treatment:
Quote:
This treatment for problem skin synthesizes salicylic acid with active sulfur to effectively target breakouts. Balanced with organic camphor to help fight impurities, the formula incorporates zinc oxide to aid and help prevent scarring.
002124-1-malin-acnetreatment.jpg

06-07-2011
windowshopping

Laboratoires SVR Lysalpha Cicapeel did a good job on my acne scars (I mean real scars, NOT red marks). They are not complete gone, but after 5-6 months of use they look a lot better. It improved also the appearance of my big pores.

I am never putting Benzoyl peroxide on my face again...It hurts my face and I don't get good results with it...I had acne mainly on my cheeks, start putting BP there and then all my pimples moved to my neck...Nice!

Pills work for me but only while I take them, after I stop my acne comes back. I am so not looking foward to taking antibiotics during all my life...

Things that have worked to keep my acne under control:

- A good cleanser (not stripping ones like those from Neutrogena, Clean and Clear, L'oreal that I tried before);

- AHAs, BHAs, PHAs. In my teens, when I had really bad acne, the only topical treatments that ever worked for me were a Tensoderm mask and a Neostrata solution;

- Sunscreen. Most acne treatments (oral and topical) are photosensitizer, a lot of sun can agravate acne, sun can make red marks darker and they will take a longer time to go away. I have found a lot of people here (even with a high education level) think that sun is awesome for acne...
A lot of people complain that they breakout from sunscreen, but as long I remove it well and use a face sunscreen for my skin type I don't have that kind of problem. I always use a wide-brim hat when I am outdoors for a long time.

-Consistency and patience. I find that the really good stuff usually take months to produce significant results. I can see almost imediate results on my pores...but for acne I have to wait longer. I think that I usually see "results" after 3 months.

Products that I tried that were a big fail: Clean and Clear, Neutrogena, Clearasil (this gave me major breakouts), Avene cleanance gel cleanser (too harsh for me) and cleanance K (harsh, good for big pimples but gave me many tiny ones)...

09-07-2011
front row

What do y'all think of using a clay mask as a spot treatment?

14-07-2011
fashion elite

is there a good (organic) product to fight blackheads???

14-07-2011
windowshopping

I had really bad cystic acne for about 8 years. I didn't do anything about it except try to cover it up with make up for the first 7 and a half years. Then I realized that it was mostly because of hormones. Which I think all kinds of acne are to some point?
After starting yaz I really started to see improvements! and I then stopped using all things that could possibly clog pores on my face. Which also helped a lot with what was left after a couple of months! The last thing I changed was the amount of sugar I ate.. sugar really does affect your hormone levels... since I got really good results from eliminating what ever sugar I could.

I'm still not acne free but I'd say pretty much! Compared to before my skin looks perfect!

About the clay mask spot treatment... I think that depends on what kind of clay mask it is. But if it has any kind oil reducing properties.. not as in drying, because that will only make it worse, I think it sounds like a great idea

16-07-2011
-

Yaz cleared my face too!

20-07-2011
trendsetter

Have any of you had success with Bio-Oil for scar fading? I've been using it for months now with no visible results

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, acne, thread