How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-08-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloearth View Post
This is such a great thread. I was wondering though if anyone has any suggestions for fading or diminishing post-acne marks?
Those few named above are a good way to start, I suppose. But remember to pick-up your samples for testing first!
I've been persistant with both Effaclar Duo and K, only to find out the formula just doesn't do the magic on my skin, K broke me out like crazy.
There's also Uriage Hyseac line that offers similar types of products, however I'm not sure if it contains more percentage of the AHAs then Avene or the ones by LRP (it's never mentioned in the ingredients part, but supposedly around 6%), nevertheless high UV protection is needed during the day. *That higher procentagee won't guarantee a product will work better - only faster.

As for overall whitening and more even complexion there's Dépiderm Citywhite fluid, also by Uriage, I'd personally love to get some more details on that... anyone?

12-08-2012
V.I.P.

I know that everyone's skin is different but I've recently discovered a regime that has cured 90% of my acne (an improvement like nothing else I've used, except maybe BC pills and prescription topicals - which I wish to avoid for health reasons)...

I use the following:

-Grandma's Acne Control Bar Soap (morning and nightly)
-A scrub using only baking soda and water (can be left on as a mask too)
-Apple Cider Vinegar toner (I use it on a cottonball and rinse the cottonball very quickly under the water faucet b/c it's very important to dilute the vinegar slightly so it doesn't burn).
-I moisturize my eye area and any dry spots with Acure's Argan Oil.
-Once a week I'll use Aztec Healing Clay mask (this requires vinegar as well).

I've also started using Alima mineral makeup which has dramatically reduced my acne. Together all of these elements have nearly eliminated my acne - I hope this info is helpful.

13-08-2012
trendsetter

Fabulyss, can you please post the ingredients list of Grandma's Acne Control Bar Soap? I don't find it anywhere.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)
13-08-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinadaze View Post
Fabulyss, can you please post the ingredients list of Grandma's Acne Control Bar Soap? I don't find it anywhere.
It actually doesn't say on the packaging but I know it's very few ingredients. I've read on the internet that the acne bar is composed of lard, water, lye, aloe and oatmeal; they also have a regular cleansing bar supposedly made of just lard, water, and lye. Apparently lye is alkaline which helps reduce acne. It removes my mineral makeup with ease too.

That said, all the steps in my regime are of equal importance in preventing my acne (that's just me though).

14-08-2012
trendsetter

Thank you! I contacted some online stores if they would ship it to my country, because I can't buy it nowhere here.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)
15-08-2012
fashion insider

Has anyone been on accutane and had trouble with the after effects?

17-08-2012
V.I.P.

my snap of a small story from marie claire about enlarged pores and how they can become clogged in the summertime.

scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaultier_Bandit View Post
Has anyone been on accutane and had trouble with the after effects?
I was on accutane for about 6-7 months and the only after effects I've had are drier, more sensitive skin that is prone to flushing/redness, I guess like mild rosacea. It can be really annoying for sure, sometimes I wonder if it's worse than the acne or not as it also affects my self esteem; but it can be controlled with gentle skincare etc.

21-08-2012
windowshopping

I had acne when I was younger and the biggest recommendation I can give is to drink water!!! Lots of it. Give up soda and other sugary drinks. My teenage years were one of the worse experiences of my life because I was constantly ridiculed. Water was the ONLY solution to my acne.

I recently broke out like crazy and started panicking because the thought of living those acne days again terrifies me. I bought new products and spent a TON on monthly facials. The facials helped but after a few days, i broke out again. In the end, I went back to water and forced myself to drink 5 bottles a day. My face cleared up in ONE week.

What also helped with clearing up my acne is tanning (outside, not the booths). I know this isnt the best solution since sun exposure has so many negative effects but it IS a great quick fix. It also made my skin smoother. I know, I know....not really an ideal solution but acne can make u desperate...especially when kids r so cruel!

I hope this helps some of u. Seriously...go.drink.water.

21-08-2012
front row

Any solutions for papular acne? I have a little on the sides of my forehead from wearing hats during hot weather. It's not the worst thing ever; much of it isn't even visible unless one looks very close; but it's insanely frustrating because I have had very little success in actually getting rid of it.

scenester

I had very good results with popular products such as Mario Badescu and Sudocrem but in the end they all stop working and they also tend to cause new problems.

Since this winter I've been using lemon juice and it's still works and it doesn't give me new blemishes. For me the best thing is that it takes care of almost all my skin issues.
I never had dry skin but after hitting 30 I got some dryness and fine lines winter time and even though I somewhat accept ageing, the idea of having the skin of a teenager mixed with a touch of granny is pretty depressing. In my case lemon juice does reduce lines.

I can't really say how it works but it feels like it gets rid of dead skin so that pores aren't as clogged. It could also have something to do with pH.

Don't think it would work for everyone but it has around 270 reviews on Makeupalley with 4.4 of 5.0 so lots of people like it.

Last edited by Rova; 22-08-2012 at 08:48 AM.
22-08-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega Magnus View Post
Any solutions for papular acne? I have a little on the sides of my forehead from wearing hats during hot weather. It's not the worst thing ever; much of it isn't even visible unless one looks very close; but it's insanely frustrating because I have had very little success in actually getting rid of it.
just call your doctor and ask for a prescription over the phone for a retinol product like trenitonin or differin. they cost about 10$ for a generic version. 80$ without insurance.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
just call your doctor and ask for a prescription over the phone for a retinol product like trenitonin or differin. they cost about 10$ for a generic version. 80$ without insurance.
It's not very serious. I'd prefer not to use prescription strength stuff like that. How about tea tree oil? Any thoughts on it?

23-08-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega Magnus View Post
It's not very serious. I'd prefer not to use prescription strength stuff like that. How about tea tree oil? Any thoughts on it?
Lucy's advice on topical retinoids is a sound one, because those products are among first choice in any acne guidelines.
What's not very serious is trying to fight acne with over the counter stuff. Which don't work, ruin skin in long run and only wastes money. It takes more than one active ingredient (of which drug store products never contain even 1/10 of the effective concentration, if they even have managed to get the useful stuff in at all) to solve the problem, and acne is a multi-vector issue, so it's a one size doesn't all situation. One person gets away with using benzoyl peroxide/clindamycin gel, others need excessive diet changes or even isotretinoin prescription. So a dermatologist would be best place to start.
If you think tea tree oil is worth a try, then make sure the product contains at least 5% of Melaleuca alternifolia oil. You still require some effective keratolytic product, tea tree oil is only a natural antibiotic and mild anti-inflammatory agent (it's a bit of a natural anti-histamine in that regard), but it doen't clear out pores or exfoliates skin.

Last edited by rayoflight; 23-08-2012 at 03:43 PM.
23-08-2012
front row

^I've been using cheap over the counter acne products even since I hit puberty seven years ago, usually with massive success. I would very rarely get acne at all, and the only reason I got acne recently was because of food reactions, hormones, not keeping my face clean enough, and foolishly over-treating and worsening said hormonal issues. Since fixing those problems, I have had no issues other than the mild papular stuff on my forehead. My face regimen is this:

Night:
Thoroughly cleanse face with Sea Breeze Actives 1% salicylic acid astringent.
Apply Clean & Clear Advantage Acne Control moisturizer. (I don't really like this stuff, but it works tolerably.)
Apply Clearasil 2% salicylic acid gel to forehead and jaw. (Paranoid about hormonal acne there.)
Finish with Clearasil 10% benzoyl peroxide cream.

Morning:
Thoroughly rinse off all night treatments with cold water.
Apply Clearasil salicylic acid gel and benzoyl peroxide cream to jaw and forehead.

Any opinions? It works really well for me if I'm careful and make sure to do everything properly. My only real problems are redness, (Caused by all of the stuff I use, I know.) some oiliness, and the need for an exfoliation agent. I'm going to try rosewater for the redness if I can ever find any, and I have a Neutrogena Wave cleanser brush thingie with exfoliation pads that I was going to try tonight. The oiliness could possibly be solved by the Neutrogena cleanser lucy92 mentioned, but I've been afraid to try the bottle I have because it is a 2% salicylic acid concentration, although my skin's favorable reaction to the Clearasil gel makes me feel better about trying it.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, acne, thread