How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-08-2012
V.I.P.

no, it was not difficult for me to start retinoids.

differin is a third generation retinoid. so its milder. (it also comes in many different formulas/gels etc)

Tretinoin (retin a) was a little more harsh. so i only used it every third night starting off. i could see that it was working - the top layer of my skin was starting to slough off. i used a facecloth or a clarisonic brush (i have a knockoff of the clarisonic) to take off the flakes.

i also moisturized twice a day.

i am also not out in the sun very often at all - so that keeps the irritation down.

29-08-2012
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
no, it was not difficult for me to start retinoids.

differin is a third generation retinoid. so its milder. (it also comes in many different formulas/gels etc)

Tretinoin (retin a) was a little more harsh. so i only used it every third night starting off. i could see that it was working - the top layer of my skin was starting to slough off. i used a facecloth or a clarisonic brush (i have a knockoff of the clarisonic) to take off the flakes.

i also moisturized twice a day.

i am also not out in the sun very often at all - so that keeps the irritation down.
Thank you.

29-08-2012
trendsetter

I don't know what to do anymore, my skin is a complete disaster this month. I didn't change my skin care routin, only been using organic rose water as a toner for two weeks (a couple of times per day) and then stopped, because I noticed strange reactions on my skin - dryness, redness, like an irritation and then clogged pores and a break out which I didn't get rid of till now; I stopped using it 4 days ago, only that I am not sure this was actually the cause.
I wanted to order Grandma's Acne Control Bar Soap which Fabulyss suggested, but they don't ship it to my country.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)
31-08-2012
V.I.P.

Aww Try the vinegar + water toner I recommended! I would love to find out if that helps you or not (I would give it at least 2 weeks of daily use). It's super cheap too.

31-08-2012
trendsetter

I can't find it anywhere, so I was thinking of making it by myself, since we have a domestic produced apple vinegar. I would check in what ratio it should be mixed.
I the meantime I would also check if Grandma's soap is available to ship to anywhere else.

Last edited by Jinadaze; 31-08-2012 at 08:03 PM.
31-08-2012
V.I.P.

Yes the toner is do-it-yourself, not manufactured! That's what makes it so cheap. Honestly I just dab a cotton ball with apple cider vinegar and very very quickly rinse it under a faucet (for one second!). Then I apply it as a toner all over my face, every night. It's definitely helped clear my skin (it also exfoliates as it's acidic).

02-09-2012
windowshopping

I tried using apple cider vinegar mixed with water as a toner too, but in my case it didn't work. It was too harsh for my skin. Now I'm making my own toner with colloidal silver water (which I buy) with a few drops of lemon essential oil or tea tree oil... I recently started writing about the cosmetics industry on my blog, it's fascinating how chemical products are today and how much damage they can actually cause. I would always recommend natural products vs. synthetic ones.

02-09-2012
front row

I really hate that my spots just won't leave me alone I'm petrified of trying any new foundation or cream anymore because my skin always reacts badly to them. I've decided I don't want to take any pills for it and neither do I want to use harsh scrubs and washes on my face as I'm scared it will leave my skin dry and damaged in the long term. I was on the clinique anti blemish regime for a good two years but it didn't make any difference other than drying my skin out. Now I just use wash my face with organic honey at night (mixed with bicarb once a week for scrubbing) and moisturise with jojoba oil in the morning. I used to use argan oil but since it finished I decided to try jojoba and it's working pretty well!

I'm waiting for my skin to calm down a bit and hopefully will start microdermabrasion for my scars etc. I hear they won't do it if you have acne? Has anyone tried it?

02-09-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffashionist View Post
I tried using apple cider vinegar mixed with water as a toner too, but in my case it didn't work. It was too harsh for my skin. Now I'm making my own toner with colloidal silver water (which I buy) with a few drops of lemon essential oil or tea tree oil... I recently started writing about the cosmetics industry on my blog, it's fascinating how chemical products are today and how much damage they can actually cause. I would always recommend natural products vs. synthetic ones.
The first time I tried apple cider vinegar, it was too harsh for my skin too; I almost gave up on it entirely b/c of that. But you can dilute it 80% or 90% to make it gentler. This was when it started working for me (I have really sensitive skin).

03-09-2012
windowshopping

I will try that. Have you tried drinking diluted apple cider vinegar too? I heard it't good beacuse it balances hormone levels.

04-09-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffashionist View Post
I will try that. Have you tried drinking diluted apple cider vinegar too? I heard it't good beacuse it balances hormone levels.
I haven't, but I'll definitely try that too! Thanks

05-09-2012
rising star

I've read somewhere that coconut oil helps acne - anyone who can confirm it?

V.I.P.

^Apparently it exasperates breakouts too ><

06-09-2012
rising star

^ that sucks.
but maybe it can be the case of getting worse before getting better?

trendsetter

Coconut oil is comedogenic, so I would not use it on acne prone skin.
Oils are a big no no for me though, even the 'light' ones, like rosehip, grape seed oil and even tee tree.

I am using apple cider vinegar for four days now and seems like it helps me. Will order Grandma's soap bar on ebay too.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, acne, thread