How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-12-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega Magnus View Post
Because of this, the horrible and long-lasting initial breakout that I've seen mentioned constantly is rather concerning. I wonder if my skin is really bad enough to justify the use of something as potent as tretinoin, and since pretty much any random pore you pick on my face can probably be drained of material at any given time, I'd likely experience said initial breakout, although the nature of my problem seems to be different and less severe than what is mentioned by reviewers in that my clogs are difficult to even define as proper acne at times. Ugh. I don't know. I can't seem to get anything to consistently work for more than a couple of months at a time anyway, so a prescription level medicine might be what I need and it would be really nice to finally control my blackheads, but it is still a difficult decision. Oh, and while the current situation is weather-induced, that does not really deter me from trying something else because I have occasional issues during the rest of the year too.
i dont really see what's stopping you from getting a prescription product. its cheaper than anything over the counter if you have insurance. if you are concerned about your skin possibly looking "worse" after you initially start it then i would suggest applying it every other night and see how that goes.

10-01-2014
backstage pass

I bought a new oil free moisturiser containing salicylic acid. I've only been using it for a few days, but it seems to have reduced redness. The only think is that it's causing whiteheads. But I'm going to keep using it and hope that this is just the purging/adjustment period, and that my skin will settle down soon. I always have this problem, but I always get so frustrated and just give up on the product after a no longer than a week, but I'm going to push on and hope my skin will settle down soon.

Do you guys believe in the 'purging period'?

V.I.P.

DON'T DRINK DAIRY GUYS. I swear it wreaks havoc on my skin. Don't drink lattes or food with cream cheese. It's not the lactose so lactose-free doesn't help; it's the hormones. Honestly it just cleared me up.

Also I've just been downing blueberries (I don't eat vegetables) and has given me a glow.

rising star

I use tretinoin and like it. On the off days when I don't use it, I like organic cold pressed avocado oil, just a little bit. My skin has done pretty well with that.

17-01-2014
V.I.P.

You can get tretinoid via amazon. I have and the stuff was solid.

23-01-2014
front row

I am desperate for helps guys . I need some quick natural treatment for my skin. I drink green tea, fresh orange juice and eat greek yogurt on a daily basis. But suddenly the acnes pop all over my forehead and now it's looking really terrible. Plus my skin is dry and starting to peel off too. I tried to avoid sweets and dairy products for 3 days already but I'm still hopeless .

26-01-2014
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by reesewu View Post
I am desperate for helps guys . I need some quick natural treatment for my skin. I drink green tea, fresh orange juice and eat greek yogurt on a daily basis. But suddenly the acnes pop all over my forehead and now it's looking really terrible. Plus my skin is dry and starting to peel off too. I tried to avoid sweets and dairy products for 3 days already but I'm still hopeless .
There is a lot more to acne than just what you eat, although that is important. As far as natural treatments go, I would recommend tea tree oil mixed into aloe vera gel. It works well for me as a treatment, although it stopped working as a preventer by itself a long time ago.

front row

Quote:
There is a lot more to acne than just what you eat, although that is important. As far as natural treatments go, I would recommend tea tree oil mixed into aloe vera gel. It works well for me as a treatment, although it stopped working as a preventer by itself a long time ago.
Thanks a lot. I think my outbreak was because I was so stressed and didn't get enough sleep because I have tons of work lately. Anyway, I bought a natural aloe vera gel from my local pharmacy and it costs only like 75 cent but works like magic.

01-02-2014
V.I.P.

I hate that i get hormonal acne around my periods. And its usually one cystic acne pimple fu€?er which is a tough one to get rid off. Always leaves behind red mark. Hate it!

04-02-2014
front row

Gonna go to my doctor on Thursday to see if I can get some tretinoin and I suppose some clindamycin as well. I'm seeing my regular doctor rather than a dermatologist because the dermatologist doesn't have an opening until April and I couldn't go then because of school anyway. I'll just tell my doctor what I want and see what he says.

front row

So does anyone who has used tretinoin and/or clindamycin have any advice on how to use it or what to expect? Also, will either one bleach clothing? I'm guessing that tretinoin won't, but I can't find any info on the type of clindamycin that doesn't contain BP.

front row

Got some Retin-A and clindamycin today. I am going to start the regimen tonight. Any thoughts on what to use on days I am not using the Retin-A? I'm guessing my tea tree oil might be a bit strong. I've heard some people use over the counter AHA on off-days.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Got some Retin-A and clindamycin today. I am going to start the regimen tonight. Any thoughts on what to use on days I am not using the Retin-A? I'm guessing my tea tree oil might be a bit strong. I've heard some people use over the counter AHA on off-days.
i would use a moisturizer without spf on the off days at night.

you should be using a moisturizer with spf on every morning.

and a gentle cleanser every morning and night without salicylic etc.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
i would use a moisturizer without spf on the off days at night.

you should be using a moisturizer with spf on every morning.

and a gentle cleanser every morning and night without salicylic etc.
I use Jason aloe vera gel both at night and in the morning. I really like it and I even came across a scientific study that claimed that tretinoin combined with aloe vera was substantially more effective than tretinoin alone. Still, it doesn't have SPF in it though. I meant to look for some type of sunscreen today, but I forgot. Any ideas on that would be helpful. As far as cleanser, I use Cerave in the morning and a generic baby shampoo/soap at night. I like the both.

V.I.P.

Quote:
As far as cleanser, I use Cerave in the morning and a generic baby shampoo/soap at night. I like the both.
Not sure why you are using baby shampoo on your skin. As the New York Times reports, a lot of baby shampoos contain questionable ingredients like formaldehyde etc. ive never heard of anyone using baby shampoo on their skin either. also even babies dont use baby shampoo every day like you do. most babies get get bathed every other day.

if your doctor didnt tell you to use the aloe vera on your skin i wouldnt use it. it will also make it more difficult to see the efficacy of your new regimin with the prescription product. if you insist on using it, i would wait 30 minutes or more after applying your prescription product to use the aloe vera in order for it to sink in.

as for a moisturizer with sunscreen i would use CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion AM it has spf 30 in it since you already like your cerave cleanser.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, acne, thread