How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-06-2010
backstage pass

It's so strange how proactiv has both bad and good reviews!

You must have had cosmetic acne after going through all those cocktails of cosmetics! Though your choices are all high quality and organic etc

Acne is so so strange!

09-06-2010
fashion elite

i think i'm going to buy Clinique anti-blemish... i don't realy have that much acne. My main skin concern is that my skin is realy oily, i've got blackheads/comedones and my pores are too big (at the nose, forehead and chin)

do you think Anti-Blemish will help??

Last edited by KamenKutak; 09-06-2010 at 03:25 AM.
11-06-2010
front row

Okay. I drink literally nothing but water. Maybe some orange or apple juice in the morning if I'm feeling a little under the weather. But other than that, strictly water, all day.

My skin is now noticeably smoother to touch, but I don't think it's helping the breakouts. I'm using Tazorac cream on my face before bed, my doctor has prescribed Minocycline for me, and I wear a basic Neutrogena Healthy Defense SPF 45 sunscreen as a moisturizer. And to wash my face, I use Neutrogena's Fresh Foaming Cleanser.

What am I doing wrong? Is Neutrogena a little too gentle for me? Should I be using something stronger for adults, or adult men, specifically?

Last edited by hfhommes; 11-06-2010 at 07:58 PM.
11-06-2010
V.I.P.

^ Are you exfoliating?

V.I.P.

Orange Juice needs to be taken moderately or else it could be bad for you. If you have too much it can irritate your insides. Its concentrated juice therefore its high in acid in a small amount. Think about it, how often do you eat 5 oranges? Because that is approximately how many oranges it takes for a cup of OJ.

Last edited by emailme.; 11-06-2010 at 11:26 PM.
11-06-2010
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClaire View Post
^ Are you exfoliating?
Nope. Should I be?

12-06-2010
front row

I have a few pimples on my chin, which are not going away and I have PCOS so i have a feeling it is due to that. I'm on Valette BCP but i think it's making my skin bad! I saw a dermatologist and they want to put me on accutane for 8 months I think. Someone told me Accutane can affect your fertility? This worries me.

12-06-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfhommes View Post
Nope. Should I be?
Exfoliating helps remove dead skin cells. They build up even though you wash your face. You only need to exfoliate a couple times a week. For your cleanser you want to bump up to something stronger, men's skin is a lot tougher and needs stronger cleansers (read THIS it puts it better then I can) Does you SPF have oil in it? If it does you might want to switch to something without oil. I find that oily lotions/sunscreens always make me break out the next day.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamenKutak View Post
i think i'm going to buy Clinique anti-blemish... i don't realy have that much acne. My main skin concern is that my skin is realy oily, i've got blackheads/comedones and my pores are too big (at the nose, forehead and chin)

do you think Anti-Blemish will help??
I think an anti-blemish is well worth a try.
I had quite a few of blackheads and my pores were really big around the outers of my nose. I exfoliated and did a blackhead/acne astringent routine and got it under control. I have combination skin (if that helps) If you're really pale (I am) you can try hydrogen peroxide. That cut down my acne a lot. It kills the bacteria but only do it at night because sunlight is not good for it and will cause hyperpigmentation. The thing with oily skin is that if you clean and strip away the oils the skin kind of freaks out and produces more oil (and more acne) so find a really good acne moisturizer that wont make you break out when you wash your face.
Always wash with warm water it opens your pores.

Feels Like Heaven

And has anyone tried Clinique acne solutions foundation?
I am thinking about getting it since I want to kinda protect my skin even when wearing foundation (tough since I'm on therapy I rarely do so) but I notised that after wearing it my acne are in worse condition,they seem like irritated even tough my foundation never broke me out.

I went to my dermatologist yesterday and she said that my skin is much better,that all I have are little left overs from acne and some spots,but I still am afraid to wear make up because of possibility of getting worse.

12-06-2010
front row

I ate roaccutane for few months, which turned my skin to almost perfect. But the acne are back. I think I'll visit my doctor in few months, if it gets worse.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClaire View Post
Exfoliating helps remove dead skin cells. They build up even though you wash your face. You only need to exfoliate a couple times a week. For your cleanser you want to bump up to something stronger, men's skin is a lot tougher and needs stronger cleansers (read THIS it puts it better then I can) Does you SPF have oil in it? If it does you might want to switch to something without oil. I find that oily lotions/sunscreens always make me break out the next day.
Thanks!

27-06-2010
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernice View Post
I have a few pimples on my chin, which are not going away and I have PCOS so i have a feeling it is due to that. I'm on Valette BCP but i think it's making my skin bad! I saw a dermatologist and they want to put me on accutane for 8 months I think. Someone told me Accutane can affect your fertility? This worries me.
accutane (also known as roaccutane in some countries) is a fantastic medecine with a very high content of retinol (vitamin A) which basically dries out your skin when taken over long periods of time (6to9 months). I took it myself when I was 18, when I had very bad acne and I've never had horrible skin ever since. Yes, I do get one or two spots a month when my period is due but that's it.

Roaccutane MUST be prescribed and must be taken under strict supervision. Vitamin A does not dilute within the body and the excess stores in the liver, hence the reason as to why, when taking this, the patient is asked to have periodical blood tests. Equally, it can seriously dry your skin (I used la Roche posay toleriane for my face, la Roche posay lipbalm and nivea for my hands) and they will absolutely forbid you from getting pregnant as it would affect the baby. It does not, however, affect fertility.

From what you say, I wouldn't think that you need roaccutane, have you tried a decent face wash (the best is neutrogena oil free wash), a nice toner (rose water is great) and a good moisturiser - something non comedogenic like toleriane. Always remember that oily skin is severely dehydrated skin, which breaks out because the balance water v oil is heavily tilted towards the oil part. Drink lots of water and use a toner and you'll see the difference. I do and ten years on I'm quite happy.

Any questions, let me know

28-06-2010
trendsetter

I just HAVE to make a post about this. Everyone who needs to exfoliate i really recommend this product by Biore, Pore Unclogging Scrub(not sure if anyone has mentioned this product or not). I just got it about 3 days ago, and in that short span, it has done wonders for my recent breakout! I think im going to stick with this for a while and see if it continues to be a success.

29-06-2010
V.I.P.

New products always do wonders for me but skin adapts to them after a few weeks so I don't do it everyday so my skin never gets used to it.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, acne, thread