Anti-Aging In Your Early Twenties - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-11-2005
fashion insider

Claudia Schiffer said in an interview that 20 was the right age to start. So I started at age 20. I use "Nivea Anti-Aging Q10" Eye Creme and it seems to work - not a single wrinkle around my eyes.

I developed 2 "mimic wrinkles" (that nobody can escape) on my forehead, so I`ll get Botox next year - just before my 25th birthday.

I think there is no "ultimate right age to start" with anti-aging products - I think they should be started when the first signs start to show.

15-11-2005
backstage pass

I've read somewhere that 25 is the right age to start with anti-age creams etc. But I think aging and skin-needs really depend alot on your genes. Some people have really good skin even when they're 50-60 years old, while some get wrinkled in their 20's.
I guess the best is to "listen" to your own needs, and yet not to start too young, when this kind of attention to your skin is unecessary and might even do harm, since it is pushing the skin to accept certain ingredients in the creams at a pre-mature stage. (that's what I've heard anyway)
But a regular moisturiser from ca. the teen years is a good idea

tfs star

Yeah I think it's important to draw a distinction between good skin care and anti-ageing measures.

I think it is good to use a good moisturiser and SUNSCREEN from your teens,but anti-ageing products? Mid-20's,I'd say.

Young skin does not need "anti-aging"...pasting cream on top of your adolescent skin has absolutely no effect on processes which only start in your late 20's.Except maybe to cause allergies,breakouts and poverty .

I started using anti-aging products at around age 25 and I definitely don't have wrinkles,ten years later.

Then again,my mom has never used anti-aging products and she gets asked what she used all the time too...she's 65 .

You could also use the most expensive creams in the world,but nothing can help you if you insist on sun-tanning,smoking and yo-yo dieting.

15-11-2005
fashion icon

I´ve been using an eye cream by Nivea but I want to change brands, anyone have any other brands to recommend? I´ve been thinking about Neutrogena, has anyone tried an eye cream by them?

15-11-2005
Reanimated

Agree w. QuirkyCool--

It's very important to take care of your skin all through life (including daily sunscreen!), but when to start with "anti-aging" products depends very much on the products themselves. Many of these products are intended for more mature skin that is no longer producing as much oil as many younger skintypes do, and are not beneficial for people in their teens/twenties.

Retinoids (retin-a, renova, et al) are the only proven "anti-aging" treatments right now, but should not be started too early b/c the skin can become acclimated to them adn they are no longer effective.

I plan to start an anti-aging routine in about 10 years, when I am 35

16-11-2005
front row

I'm 28. I use an eye cream at night and in the morning. I also use a moisturizer with sun screen in it every day.

16-11-2005
fashion elite

I just started and I'm 18..... the sooner you start, the better...... some 15 year old models start on the stuff

16-11-2005
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasseestefanie
I just started and I'm 18..... the sooner you start, the better...... some 15 year old models start on the stuff
Actually, this is not the case at all and is kind of dangerous thinking. Most "anti-aging" products are not appropriate for young skin and potentially very harmful in the long-term- doing more damage to the skin, while trying to prevent it

As I said in my earlier post, anti-aging creams are formulated for older skin, which is usually not producing as much oil as it used to. Most fifteen year-olds or every 25 year olds, do not need to be applying thick buttery creams to their skin! They ususally have enough or too much oils and thick creams can instigate breakouts. A lighter formula is better if you are not very dry.

Preventing wrinkles and aging in the skin has A LOT to do with sun protection (80% of the skin's aging is attributed to sun damage). A good routine for teen-twenties who have normal/good skin, is good diet/exercise, gentle cleansing, adequate exfoliation, lots of h20, light moisturizing, and a great full-spectrum sunscreen- I'd say at least SPF30.

Again, many anti-aging creams contain retinol or other retinol derivitives, glycolic acids, or other AHAs. I am not saying that these are bad ingredients- quite the opposite actually. They are used to treat acne and prevent aging as they are great exfoliators- so they speed up the process of cell turnover and increase the effectiveness of other products (because the dead cells on the top layer of the skin has been removed. What is dangerous here, is a teenager who is using these creams and not wearing a sunscreen daily. SUN DAMAGE CITY! They make you very sun sensitive and can cause a lot of damage that will not show up for years.

Prescription retinoids (retina, renova,etc.) that are used to treat acne and prevent aging, are accompanied by specific instruction from a dermatologist - including the use of daily sunscreen, but many non-Rx products do not come w. these instructions or are not followed.

Last edited by paprika_hiccup; 16-11-2005 at 07:44 PM.
21-01-2006
backstage pass

Anti-Aging In Your Early Twenties
What kind of skincare should girls from 20-25 use?

I currently use pretty heavy anti-wrinkle cream because I'm paranoid, but I'm afraid that it's actually just irritating my skin. Maybe I just need to get some regular moisturizer?

22-01-2006
The mod squad

If you are young and want prevention, the best thing you can invest in is sunscreen.
Then of course there is the usual, good diet, pleanty of water and enough sleep. Stress is also a big factor in aging.
As far as anti-aging creams go, I have sensitive skin and those products are an absolute suicide for my skin, at my age ( 21 ).

You should invest in a moisturizer for your skin type with spf of course and an eye cream that moisturizes. Biotherm's aquasource is one I use and it works very well for me.
Try to find a skincare routine that suits you.

Don't get too carried away with trying to be ' perfect '. At this day and age there is so much you have to be and not be.
You're young and beautiful, you should enjoy life for what it is instead of worrying about wrinkles

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden_butterfly
You're young and beautiful, you should enjoy life for what it is instead of worrying about wrinkles
I agree!

The reason I started using wrinkle cream is because my mother is 50 but literally looks 35. She started using the best wrinkle creams she could get her hands on when she was in her early twenties and she swears that's what has kept her skin looking so great... of course, it's possible it's also genetics. So, under my mom's influence, I have great faith in wrinkle creams!

You're right, though, I probably shouldn't worry about that. Plus, I do think it's negatively effecting my skin... ingredients a little too potent.

22-01-2006
Of too many minds

Well, since my birthday is not here yet, I technically still fit into your survey age range.

I agree with everything that Golden_Butterfly has said. Besides a sensible diet and a skincare that suits you, essential sleep is definitely a must.

I remembered where I first started working and the stress just caused eyebags and fine lines to appear on my forehead and cheeks. Besides a suitable moisturizer, eye cream and sunscreen, I also invested in a firming serum from SKII (yes..I am a slave to that brand). It's called signs uplifter and I can really see the difference after about a month of usage.
Even former colleagues have remarked that my complexion looks better.

I also pamper my skin once a week with hydrating masks and exofoliation once weekly.

These are just recommendations and do be aware about what works for your skin type and what doesn't. Only that way can you build up a skincare routine that takes care of your skin most effectively.

At your age, you don't really need such rich creams..but I guess a serum would be good once you are 25 and older

{*princessimp.blogspot.com*}
22-01-2006
scenester

Mostly have a good diet and sunscreen. I've been using cold cream(ect. Noxima) for yrs. now, other things irritate my skin. It really helps my skin stay clear, smooth and healthy looking.

02-02-2006
fashion elite

I would recommend you to buy Bobbi Brown's book Beauty Evolution

"Bobbi's Essentials for your Twenties

*Sunscreen: Save your skin now! The sun damage you do in your twenties will show up in your thirties, forties and beyond.

A good cleanser: If drugstore brands aren't keeping your skin clear, see a dermatologist to get a more potent product.

Eye cream: The skin around your eyes shows signs of aging first, so keep it well hydrated and protected.

Concealer: A must-have for disguising under-eye circles the morning after a too-late night.

Stick foundation: This is the best way to cover blemishes. Just make sure the shade is an exaxt match for your skin, or you will end up drawíng more attention to the spot you are trying to hide."

02-02-2006
fashion icon

I try not to wash my face with harsh soaps and I moisturize several times a day. that's about enough for me. I hate wearing makeup.

dlg

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
antiaging, early, twenties