How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-11-2006
fashion insider

Ok, i am from a chinese background, and i've also lived in Japan for almost half a decade, so i'll try to clarify some stuff about asian eating habits.

1. My family eat meat, probably daily. However, our portions are comparably small. North Americans can have a huge slab of steak in one meal, but for us we just put a bit of meat in our stir fry or eat a few slices of sausage.

2. I'm not sure about the fish daily thing. I personally don't like the asian style cooked fish and only eat fish maybe once or twice a month. I do know that the japanese eat more fish because they are an island and they have an abundance of fresh fish. Even their raw fish tastes great with some good soy sauce. (sashimi)

3. We eat rice everyday. I don't think white rice is actually good for you though, because it's very refined.

4. Whoever said asian food is too high in salt, i have to differ. Obviously if youare going to order take-out, then the food will be super high in sodium and fat (they use sooo much oil). When we cook vegetables at home, we don't use much oil at all, and we add just enough taste so that it's not bland.

5. i don't think a chopstick means eating slower... if you've been using a chopstick since you were born, then you can wolf down food no problem using the tool. Personally i think eating is a waste of time sometimes and i eat dinner in less than 10 minutes. Haha, i know i should slow down.

6. I don't think eating like an asian person will guarantee you the body or health of an asian person. Different races have different genetic make-up. Asians are natually more petite. In fact, a normal BMI for a european person can be a slightly over-weight BMI for an asian person. I've also learned that a lot of native people of north america got ill and experienced other unatural health conditions when the Europeans came to NA and introduced new foods. Like sugar.

Anyhow, hope that helped.

19-11-2006
trendsetter

My mother's best friend is Indian, so I've basically grown up on South Indian food.

This is completely different to the Westernized version of 'Asian' or 'Indian' food, hence why some may think this isn't as healthy as it sounds.

As long as you don't order Asian take-out every night thinking its how a large portion of the world eats, you'll be fine

A champagne supernova in the sky
19-11-2006
backstage pass

Haha I'm asian and i certainly don't eat like that. If I do I certainly wouldn't look like this.. lol.

I think it's not really an 'asian' diet thing. Those rules are pretty general for anyone who wants to eat healthier.

fashion insider

Every asian i've met has pretty bad skin :/

(namely chinese, korean and japanese although a few of my friends from India don't have such good skin either. Lots of acne and overly oily)

19-11-2006
fashion insider

^i'm not sure if their skin has to do with their diet, but on the plus side, oily skinned people don't get wrinkles as early.

19-11-2006
Brooklyn, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollagasper
^i'm not sure if their skin has to do with their diet, but on the plus side, oily skinned people don't get wrinkles as early.
Really? I haven't heard that before. I'm assuming that also applies to people who moisturize every day? Or am I wrong?

19-11-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlsnts
Haha I'm asian and i certainly don't eat like that. If I do I certainly wouldn't look like this.. lol.

I think it's not really an 'asian' diet thing. Those rules are pretty general for anyone who wants to eat healthier.
haha me too and several other 'asians' i know are also not skinny or healthy

20-11-2006
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi
Really? I haven't heard that before. I'm assuming that also applies to people who moisturize every day? Or am I wrong?
Definitely! Moisturizing makes your skin look good both now and in the future.

20-11-2006
V.I.P.

Skin is definately related in a large part to diet. I don't know what the nordic people eat but they all have gorgeous skin. Anyway Indian and Chinese food can be far too greasy. The old ladies in those countries lose their hair like men almost. Japanese is the way to go obviously. I am not sure white rice is ideal though.

20-11-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gius
haha me too and several other 'asians' i know are also not skinny or healthy
But do you have an authentic asian diet or is it very americanised (cos I noticed you were from Vancouver!)

20-11-2006
fashion icon

I'm half Korean and know for a fact that Korean food can be too salty. Japanese food is the healthiest of all Asian food....

20-11-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaInLondon
But do you have an authentic asian diet or is it very americanised (cos I noticed you were from Vancouver!)
Yes, very authentic. I still eat the same food as I would eat if I were there. But I feel I don't feel my best actually, so I'm starting to switch over to something called the 'paleolithic' diet :p I find it's closer to the western (or mediterranean?) diet, and by this I mean vegetables with meat and fermented food regularly...In Asia you often eat rice rice rice

I also kind of agree with eurofashionjunki, It seems like Japan has the healthiest (if you mean the traditional japanese cuisine)... with their very fresh raw fish and they have a lot of soups/stews that are filled with many interesting vegetables. But it's definitely something that takes time to get accustomed to. I still can't stomach some of the stuff The taste is just so different

21-11-2006
假装不正经

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurofashionjunki
Japanese food is the healthiest of all Asian food....
Agreed.Though might not be very tasty(IMHO), it benefits both human health and figure.

slightly dizzy

I love Japanese food and have it for lunch quite often...

ele
rising star

If only asian food would come more into Europe - especially sushi ! its so cheap and healthy !

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
asian, diet