How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-11-2006
slightly dizzy

^ I guess it varies between countries...? Here in Stockholm there are loads of sushi places (and some nice "real" Japanese restaurants as well) along with Thai, Indian, Korean and so on.

21-11-2006
ele
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tott
^ I guess it varies between countries...? Here in Stockholm there are loads of sushi places (and some nice "real" Japanese restaurants as well) along with Thai, Indian, Korean and so on.
Yeah in Australia there is LOADS everywhere, but i can barely find anything in Europe - but i think its on its way .. i hope so anyway

21-11-2006
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ele
Yeah in Australia there is LOADS everywhere, but i can barely find anything in Europe - but i think its on its way .. i hope so anyway
I'm in Australia too and I always go to the 'Sushi Train':p

22-11-2006
fashion elite

well, I come from HK, and i have Chinese meal most of the time in my life, so i can tell all of you what is it about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi
I think this is directly related to their diets: fish almost daily, vegetable oils, fruits, legumes/nuts/seeds, vegetables, tea, and lots of rice, noodles, breads, and other grains. They typically eat meat and sweets rarely, and drink alcholic beverages moderately. I think this sounds like a very healthy way to eat, and I'd like to try to incorporate more of these foods into my diet. I think another trick is that Asians don't eat a lot of processed foods. Their food also has low saturated and total fat.
YEs, I do have fish or chicken every single day and a lot of vegetable.. but we have a lot of MEAT too!!! we always perserved sasauges in winter time and it is really really high in fat,,,imagine: there are about 60% of fat in a sausage!!

I guess Asian diet is generally healthier because it doesn't use much salt or oil in cooking.. Chinese meals use Stir-frying, steaming, boiling all the time,, these kind of cooking method use very little oil only ..but in western meal, they always use cooking method like deep-frying, shallow-frying, even the snacks like cookie or cakes make use of lots of fat!!

it is not always true that we don't eat a lot of processed food,, i mean my father has instant noodles every lunch,, we have fast food for like once a week,we eat a lot of processed food like sasuages or ham and canned food sometimes!!

having Asian diet doesn't mean that you will have good skin, it helps a little only.. some of my friend eat healthy and try to aviod fatty food, she still has a lot of acne on her face.. whereas some of them who have fast food all the time managed to have baby skin!!!

i hope all these will help all of you guys to know more about Asian diet..

22-11-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaInLondon
Skin is definately related in a large part to diet. I don't know what the nordic people eat but they all have gorgeous skin. Anyway Indian and Chinese food can be far too greasy. The old ladies in those countries lose their hair like men almost. Japanese is the way to go obviously. I am not sure white rice is ideal though.
What do you mean by nordic people (Scandinavia etc)? In Scandinavia I think the thing that is important in the food is the quality, everything is very natural and unprocessed (in vegetables, fruits...). In a lot countries those things have gotten a little bit polluted.

scenester

yes i agree that eating asian doesnt neccesarily give you good skin. but i think japanese is definately the most healthy of asian food, and many japanese people have such nice skin and are slim, as a result of their genetics and also from eating lots of fish which is high in omega 3 which is good for your skin, and also antioxidants from seaweed(which generally many european countries don't eat)and miso and tofu etc. they also tend to eat smaller portions regularly, and also drink lots of sake and green tea (which speeds up your metabolism). but this isnt the case with everyone.

also with other asian indian foods are generally high in fat and spices/chili etc which tend to aggravate skin conditions more, while the chinese takeaway/resturant food you can usually get is generally loaded with fat and sodium. however i know as a fact that the traditional chinese meals (i spent some time in the chinese country) is generally composed of lots of steamed leafy green vegies, rice, tofu, and the occassional piece of meat or fish. most of the time the dishes are steamed, which cooks with the absence of a lot of oil, so it is generally healthier. so i guess there are many aspects that come into it...

22-11-2006
fashion icon

I eat brown rice instead of white. You can get it at the Asian supermarket and it tastes the same as white rice. Brown rice is full of fibre...

24-11-2006
backstage pass

like what Hipkitten said, i don't think it's about what we eat (because we do have a lot of unhealthy foods too), but rather about portion size.

whenever travelling abroad to western countries i've found that the portion sizes are easily 1.5 times that of what you would normally find here in asia. that has to account for quite a number of calories

fashion insider

I can't eat japanese food because nearly everything has meat or fish in it :/

24-11-2006
rising star

I don't know if this would be much help but between my mother and I, there are tremendous differences in our appearances. She grew up in China, I was born and raised here. She rode her bicycle close to daily and walked a lot, I...was driven to a school that was a few blocks away. She eats small meals and doesn't really like things too bold in flavor (if she absolutely must, then she'll add a bit of soy sauce, otherwise she'll leave things as is). She eats in small amounts but she snacks once or twice a day on crackers or cookies. My mum is in her early fifties and she does not have a single wrinkle, and on top of that, if she had been a bit taller, she'd have supermodel legs. Since she's had me in America, she does not exercise nor does she work. She stays at home and lives the life of a housewife.

Then you have me. I work out about four times a week and my legs look nowhere as slim as my mum's. I'm a vegetarian but I eat all sorts of things, Chinese or not, while my mum's tastes are very limited. Sometimes I forget to eat, sometimes I eat all my meals in one sitting. I walk a good deal more than my mom and go out of my way to exercise. But then again, when I was a kid, I was chubby as hell. Never exercised, and gorged myself on junk food. Now that I'm in college, I've slimmed down a lot but still not as impossibly slim as my mum is (and she puts no effort into this!)

I don't really know if this is the "Asian diet" but this is what dinner looks like at my house: white jasmine rice, either boiled or stir fried Chinese cabbage of some sort, steamed fish, some meat stir fried with a bit of oil, and maybe a hard boiled egg once or twice a week. Although recently, my mum has been getting into the habit of putting more protein in our meals. She's been pairing tofu with edamame.

25-11-2006
This is the Renaissance

Quote:
Originally Posted by misssakura
I can't eat japanese food because nearly everything has meat or fish in it :/
Not so! I eat sushi all the time - but only vegetables. And often, but not always, miso soup is vegan. I also get vegetarian udon with a veggie soup stock. Yum!

Once I was in Tokyo and my friend wanted a cheese pizza. So we went to the market and they had something like two different kinds of cheese. Two tiny blocks of generic cheese and that was it. I couldn't believe it! When I asked my Japanese friends they just said "ewww, cheese is disgusting!"

So maybe it's the lack of cheese? Ha!

25-11-2006
fashion insider

I'm well aware of sushi and miso I just don't consider them to constitute the majority of a Japanese diet I can cook a bit at home but going out is a big nono, I've checked with all my local restaurants and they have no vegetarian options.

My sister has really bad skin now..but she used to have gorgeous skin until she was about 21/22. I think part of the problem was that she ate junk food and picked at her skin as well as using too many products. She over tans too. She eats a load of salads and healthy things now but her skin will never recover (or at least I don't think so).

My friend Bevan eats Japanese food all the time and his skin is amazing...lord I don't know its so hard

25-11-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astatine
like what Hipkitten said, i don't think it's about what we eat (because we do have a lot of unhealthy foods too), but rather about portion size.

whenever travelling abroad to western countries i've found that the portion sizes are easily 1.5 times that of what you would normally find here in asia. that has to account for quite a number of calories
Agreed - One portion can last me lunch and dinner. (I'm Asian too)

I think it's not necessarily the Asian diet that's healthy. As pointed out, we can have pretty unhealthy and processed food as well.

Eating with chopsticks does not slow down the process of eating :p ... if you're good with chopsticks.

Rice is fine is moderate proportions. Personally I favour brown rice for it's fibre content and texture. The rice use to make the Japanese maki is more glutinuous and is more filling. A typical meal for me consists of a bowl of rice (about how much you would hold in your palm), a piece of chicken breast steamed with ginger, shallots and chilli and some stirfried veggies. I do have meat at every meal but it's not the main course like on most western menus.

I guzzle water because it's hot and humid here so Asians need to hydrate ourselves more. Also because of the humidity levels, our skins don't get dry so easily. However, it's hot hence making us more prone to breakouts.

25-11-2006
This is the Renaissance

Honestly, a lot of it is probably just genetics and culture. My Japanese mother has never worried about her weight. She has always been slim. I have never once heard her say the word diet. I, on the other hand, living in American culture, am constantly thinking about diets or dieting!

Also, much like in Europe and the UK, most urban Japanese people walk a lot. My mother has always avoided the sun as well. I know tanning is more acceptable for young Japanese women these days, but in certain circles pale skin is very desirable (think of all the skin-whitening products).

And finally, at least in Japan, they have really amazing plastic surgeons!

25-11-2006
fashion icon

^ Same in Korea. If you have sun-kissed skin, it makes you look like a commoner because in the olden days it makes you look like a farmer who has been working out in the sun all day. My Korean family are very traditional so no sun bathing for them...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
asian, diet