How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-11-2006
V.I.P.

^ Yeah many Asians are obsessed with having fair pale skin .... hence the plethora of whitening products available.

26-11-2006
backstage pass

I don't think the healthy 'Asian Diet' really applies to all Asian cusine. I think the people who are considered to have the diet worthy of being modeled are those people who live places where they have less access to processed food and live off of what is natural in their setting. That is at least how I understood the idea when it was explained to me.

28-11-2006
rising star

koreans and japanese eat very healthy - relative to other cultures. although their overall weight/size/frame is mainly biological, their diets are categorized as "high carb, VERY low fat" which contributes to healthy frames. hardly anyone in these cultures are significantly overweight or obese. food at the dinner table is not oily, high in fat, processed, or any of that. a lot of the food consists of rice (brown or white, with beans, chestnuts, etc mixed in), root vegetables usually steamed or boiled in asian spices and flavoring (again, low in fat), lean meats, fish, and soups made from scratch. i think this sort of diet, in the long run, goes very far in maintaining a healthy body.

29-11-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurofashionjunki
The book 'French women don't get fat' is a rip-off. Basically the book is just saying eat every few hours but small quantities and you will stay slim....
I don't think it is a rip-off. If you eat less, eat slower, and enjoy yourself, you will inevitably lose weight. I have lost tons of weight myself simply by eating less, and eating when I am physically hungry.

29-11-2006
V.I.P.

I'm Asian and I agree with the diet. If people really want to lose weight, just adopt an Asian diet.

I'm Chinese and my family NEVER eats huge slabs of meat like steak. Duck yet, chicken yet, but never in such huge amounts as Westerners like to consume. We don't eat butter, cheese, cake, pies, none of the rich, milky stuff.

Also drink tea instead of your sugar-loaded beverages and drop the desert. I can't understand why people like eating desert after dinner. It's so uncomfortable for the stomach.

But satisfaction brought it back
29-11-2006
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillybear
I don't think it is a rip-off. If you eat less, eat slower, and enjoy yourself, you will inevitably lose weight. I have lost tons of weight myself simply by eating less, and eating when I am physically hungry.
No I meant the book is commonsense....

29-11-2006
front row

Is this what Victoria Beckham went on after giving birth? I thought I remembered something about her going on an Asian diet...

01-12-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurofashionjunki
No I meant the book is commonsense....

It may seem like common sense but when it is a common thing to sit down and eat a half pound hamburger plus french fries in like a minute its kind of a revolutionary idea

30-12-2006
backstage pass

I also posted this on the milk discussion but
This is an interesting paragraph from an interview with the Alex Jamison, girlfriend of Morgan Spurlock from Supersize me and 30 days

" Take milk, or what she calls the "dairy dilemma". The US department of agriculture's recommendation of three servings of the white stuff a day (including yogurt and cheese) is "about twice what the World Health Organisation recommends. Why is that? Why are we all of a sudden needing so much more than everybody else on the planet? I don't understand that. And we have diseases here that involve protein and calcium that they don't have in rural China; they have very little dairy in their diet there, and they have no osteoporosis. Here we're told to drink milk for healthy bones but we have more osteoporosis than anybody. There is something happening here - we're not being told the whole story."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/st...html?gusrc=rss

30-12-2006
fashion insider

I'm half Viet half Korean and since we usually got chilli in our food, it boosts metabolism as well.

30-12-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parapluie
Is this what Victoria Beckham went on after giving birth? I thought I remembered something about her going on an Asian diet...
No, actually I think she went on the "starvation diet".

31-12-2006
fashion elite

^

31-12-2006
backstage pass

lol, that's mean! anyway I wouldn't mind eating endless amount of sushi if it would help me lose weight. It's so uncommon here though & pretty expensive. I love egg-drop soup to, mmmm! Miso soup is pretty yuck.

06-01-2007
front row

I think the traditional Asian dishes tend to be more healthy than a typical western dish. That said, much of Asia today has been influenced by the west so an average Asian's (who lives in Asia) diet tends to have more meat and dairy than what appears in traditional Asian meals.

It's funny because I am from Hong Kong and it is still where a great deal of my relatives are based, yet I find myself to be much more health-conscious than them---- I'm a huge fan of Mediterranean cooking and I force it upon them whenever an opportunity presents itself. Yes, the portions over there are smaller, but they also consume high-fat foods in both Asian and Western style of cooking. It's hard to explain unless you are sitting down in a typical eatery in Hong Kong; you'll see that although you may not necessarily be consuming steaks and fries, the cooking methods are just as fat-laden.

I believe it comes down to your own sensibility. Like, I don't think incorporating too much soy products in a diet is good for everybody. This is where the ancient Chinese homeopathic stuff kicks in---- if you have a lot of 'yang' (like me), you can't eat soy all the time. My mother (who grew up and still lives in Hong Kong) tells me to eat more red meat daily!

At the end, do what makes you feel good in a balanced sort of way. Now that I'm older, I find myself gravitating towards more Chinese/Asian cooking. When my boyfriend (who has Shanghai heritage) and I cook at home, we make a lot soups with fresh vegatables, fish, light amounts of meats, and tofu (mainly for him) because we feel good eating them. I think it has to do with us growing up with that kind of diet, but we also immensely enjoy a good macaroni-and-cheese and juicy burgers! Have balance---- I believe that's what we all need at the end!

06-01-2007
V.I.P.

A lot of women and teenaged girls in Hong Kong tend to graze a lot. We have tons of street food stands, sweet shops in malls (like eating a strawberry whip for a quick and non-fattening sugar fix) and a lot of informal restaurants and cafes where you can have like little tiny dishes. Girls can easily just have three pieces of dim sum whilst walking around the streets and that would be dinner. Though there's more variety to eat in HK, I tend to find I lose a lot of weight there because I graze all the time. It's not particularly healthy but it does sort of adhere to the French Women Don't Get Fat theory - i.e. eating smaller portions of things.

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
asian, diet