How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-10-2009
clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonaka View Post
ALL of them???
Well, apparently not your cousin? I was a bit curious reading your comment about how Norwegians never have smooth skin...I actually think Scandinavians have some of the best skin in Europe. Rosy colors...not greyish, rarely blotchy. Of course, these are just general terms.

It all depends....while light skin can be beautiful every flaw can also be seen very readily.

I am a sucker for Asian food. Especially Malaysian and Korean. The only food that is as delicious is French food. And if you can avoid the Westernized taste enhancers I agree it is probably really healthy too.

18-10-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lite_Brite View Post
I think there is a strong tendency to want to romanticize, or in some cases even fetishize, certain other cultures. Idealizing one diet is fairly illogical as virtually every culture has developed healthy and delicious cuisine.

With the world as it is today, people in globalized nations have access to produce that long ago would have had to been brought thousands of miles by boat, so we can often enjoy a wider variety and therefore more nutritious diet.

American culture just generally places a lower (I would say too low, but that's subjective) emphasis on home-cooking, partly because we are perhaps some of the most over-worked people in the world, working far from home. Maybe it's partly incidental too. It's possible to be very healthy and eat foods not outside the norm of food typically grown and sold in the US.

In the end I think it's wise to take cues from the knowledge we can share about cooking from around the world instead of trying to pull off living off of raw salmon when one lives in Kansas.
I think this is a very important and very overlooked point with regard for the American diet. Europe tends to view us as lazy gluttons (in many cases, it's true), but we also work far far more hours than our European counterparts, often times with at least an hour commute (and no vacation!) That understandably affects one's enthusiasm for cooking.

18-10-2009
THE STRANGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by g212142 View Post
I'm hungry reading this thread , but isn't the mediterranean diet the one with the most benefits (using olive oil and all)?
Asians use olive oil as well In fact we're very picky about this stuff and we make darn sure we use extra virgin olive oil!

18-10-2009
trendsetter

^Yes there's olive oil in China but it's also really expensive and most of what we have here isn't even extra virgin or of good quality. I'm sure it's different elsewhere in Asia where you have more access to western products.

19-10-2009
THE STRANGER

^Really? I lived in China for 8 years before and never had any problems with that.

19-10-2009
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by michyed View Post
Asians use olive oil as well In fact we're very picky about this stuff and we make darn sure we use extra virgin olive oil!
I never knew that, the more you know . I just remember a study by a guy named Dr Willett (i think that's his name) that showcased this, that's all

12-01-2011
V.I.P.

Does anyone have any recommendations for English language Japanese Cookbooks? I'd like one as authentic as possible.

13-01-2011
V.I.P.

Someone ( I can't remember who) told me that you can get bad skin if you eat a lot of spicy food..I don't know if it's true or not, but a lot of ppl had bad skin in Seoul and Korean food is really spicy
What do you guys think?

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulyss View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations for English language Japanese Cookbooks? I'd like one as authentic as possible.
I only have one Japanese cookbook, but I'm not even sure I can call it that since it's more of a diet book..The Japanese Diet, I haven't even read it so I don't know if it's any good, but I like the idea of eating miso soup for breakfast

You could always try youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/cookingwithdog

oh! darling

My mother is a full South Korean woman. She was is 48 years old. She looks at least 35. Despite most of her family members, she has never smoked or touched any alcohol. She eats lots of sodium-filled foods mostly from a typical Korean diet and Ramen noodles.

She doesn't exercise or drinks any milk, yet doctors always tell her to keep doing what she's doing. her skin is beautiful -pores a bit big but no crime.

A lot of it comes from being Korean. I got my father's genes so my skin isn't like porcelain, but she certainly have my brother and me some of the "better" genes.

V.I.P.

Hahaha I love that she doesn't drink milk Norwegian ppl are crazy milk drinking ppl

oh! darling

Asians like her just can't handle dairy. She'll have cheese occasionally, but I have never seen her down any dairy.

She eats a lot of spicy foods as well: kimchi and lots of chili pepper seasoning. Everyday she has rice. She always calls me, "Holly, make me some rice so I can eat when I get home." Oh Ma, how I love thee.

V.I.P.

What kind of rice does she/you eat?

oh! darling

She has sticky white rice.

I once bought a bag of jasmine rice thinking it was her brand, but it wasn't the same. I washed it and used the same recipe (2 cups of rice, 3 cups of water), and it came out too dry using jasmine.

V.I.P.

I've only seen sushi rice here and most ppl use jasmine rice. In Korea my "family" used black rice which is much healthier than the white one, or at least so I'm told. All my Korean friends here in Norway have great skin..they're all adopted so it's not the Asian diet

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
asian, diet