How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-05-2008
fashion insider

Ayurveda: Ayurvedic - Ancient Indian Medicine and Skincare
Does anyone follow ayurvedic methods for skincare or haircare (or even body/medicinal purposes). It involves the use of various herbs and oils, and focuses on balance in one's life. Here is an article. I will post more. It's great!

http://www.ayurbalance.com/
Ayurveda for Wellness through Balance

Ayurveda literally translates to "the science of life". In ayurveda, health is defined as an active state of wellness--a state in which you truly live, not merely exist. This active state of wellness, according to the ancient texts of ayurveda, extends beyond the physical body to the mind, heart, senses and spirit. In this "zone," you experience physical vitality, mental alertness, emotional bliss, sensual balance and spiritual awareness, not just for a fleeting time, but day after day, year after year.
The ayurvedic approach to health is inclusive, extending to your daily diet, your routine, and your environment. Your needs for achieving that active state of wellness, which ayurveda calls balance, change over time. Age, environmental factors, stress levels, poor lifestyle choices and dietary excesses or deprivation can all cause imbalances in your physiology. Ayurveda offers a wide range of therapies and tools to restore balance, from dietary recommendations and ayurvedic rasayanas--herbs, fruits and spices that help maintain good health--to internal cleansing and rejuvenation treatments.
At AyurBalance, we offer you the inclusive approach to ayurveda, with authentic ayurvedic wisdom on all aspects of wellness and pure ayurvedic rasayanas for balanced, sustained herbal healing designed to keep you in the zone.
What is Ayurveda?

A system of self-care that originated in India more than 5000 years ago, Ayurveda is becoming very popular all over the world, with hundreds of healers incorporating it into their practices and thousands of people using its well-tried principles and therapies to improve their well-being.

The Vedic word ayurveda has two root words--ayu and veda. Every root word in the Vedic tradition has its own definition--thus, ayu has its own definition and so does veda. Literally and concisely, ayu means "life" and ved means "science." According to this translation, ayurveda means "the science of life." But the Vedic texts expand on these definitions to offer us a more complete understanding, and our ayurvedic expert Vaidya Rama Kant Mishra has explained some of these expanded statements.
Ayu explained
What is the real meaning of ayu or life according to the fundamental principles of ayurveda? Sharirendriya sattwa atma samyogo ayuhu, goes one verse. Sharir means physical body; indriya means senses. Sattwa refers to the combination of mind and heart--overall psychological strength, and atma means soul or spirit. When all of these--body, senses, heart, mind and spirit--are in proper balance and function in a harmonious, coordinated manner, that is true life--"the living body."
Veda explained
Veda means science: not a science that changes its theories and its findings every few years but ageless, eternal knowledge built on siddhantas, fundamental unchanging principles. Veda refers to guided knowledge: it is not just theory, but also a roadmap for how to derive practical benefit from the knowledge.
A longer definition of ayurveda
Another longer definition of ayurveda goes: ayurhitahitamvyadhe nidaanamshamanam thathaa vidyate yatra vidhwadhihi tatra ayurveda uchyate. This verse takes us to a deeper level to understand what ayurveda is.

Ayurveda provides us with a complete understanding of what is life-sustaining and what is not, not just for the physical body, but also our mind, heart, senses and spirit. This includes descriptions of the kind of diet, lifestyle and behavior that is optimal for well-being, the ideal environment, and the herbal rasayanas that are good or bad for each of these aspects of health. There is great detail on each of these modalities--what to eat, when to eat and how to eat are a part of dietary recommendations, for example. The texts also include recommendations for nurturing relationships and living as part of the human community.

If an individual does not have this knowledge or has the knowledge but does not implement the knowledge, then, say the texts, the person becomes susceptible to imbalance and disorders.

24-05-2008
fashion insider

(Continued)

What is Ayurveda? (cont'd)

When a person goes to an ayurvedic healer, the healer's first job is to find out why the person has the symptoms he or she has. Two persons can exhibit the same symptoms, but the etiological factors behind the symptoms in each case may be entirely different. The ayurvedic healer goes beyond symptoms to discover the underlying cause of the imbalance, so that there can be ultimate resolution of the imbalance, not just an appeasement of symptoms.

Nidaanam refers to both the etiological factors behind the symptoms and the diagnosis itself. The ayurvedic diagnosis is based on etiological factors. Vaidya Mishra explains it thus: "If a fire alarm begins beeping in your home, you would try to find out from where the smoke is coming. In ayurveda, healers try to do the same thing. If a person comes to a healer saying 'I have a headache,' we do an ayurvedic pulse assessment and ask careful questions to find out the real imbalance that is creating the headaches. What is the person doing in terms of his or her diet or lifestyle to create the imbalance? What is the source of the smoke? Ayurveda does address the symptoms, but it does so by addressing the cause of the symptoms, unlike modern medicine, which sometimes pulls out the battery from the alarm to stop its beeping, and destroys Nature's signaling system in the process."
Ayurveda also discusses the ways to pacify aggravated doshas or imbalances--the tools to create balance in the imbalanced body, mind, senses or spirit.

Says Vaidya Mishra: "The soul is the source of life--"jivatma"--the vibrational power of Nature in us that is indestructible. When the soul gets out of communication with the body or heart or mind or senses, disease results. When the soul is connected to the mind, body, heart and senses, it provides perfect guidance, and the result is health and well-being. Ayurveda teaches a person how one can enhance the communication between the soul and the body, heart, mind and senses, so that one can live perfectly in tune with the rhythms and laws of Nature, making no mistakes that lead to imbalances and disease."

The two objectives of Ayurveda
Ayurveda has two main objectives:
Swasthasya swaastha rakshanam, which means "keeping the healthy person healthy." Prevention is the primary and most important goal of ayurveda.

Vyadhakanam vyadhi paramokshaha, which means "for the person who does not have this knowledge of how to stay optimally healthy or does not implement the knowledge, and thus gets out of balance, ayurveda teaches that person how to get rid of the imbalance."

24-05-2008
fashion insider

http://www.ayurvediccure.com/ayurved...veda_intro.htm

24-05-2008
rising star

hey..i tried it for a few days, at least in the foods/spices/way i eat. it really made a difference (apparently im a kapha, and i was eating too many cold and rich foods, when i need heating and dry foods). i felt a lot better. which reminds me, i'd like to follow that better. i'd like to see how it's incorporated into haircare, though

24-05-2008
V.I.P.

But really, how much of this is a placebo effect?

25-05-2008
V.I.P.

nice point, fabulyss
i hear though as long as the patient believes they will get better from such and such a thing, they will

i think tFS member Leda knows about ayurveda

this is one of the quizzes available to find out which type you are
http://altmedicine.about.com/library..._ayurveda1.htm
i tried two (i lost the other url)
and they both gave me vata-kapha

& here are some guides for the types
http://ayurveda-foryou.com/clinical_...recommend.html

Last edited by gius; 25-05-2008 at 02:39 AM.
25-05-2008
V.I.P.

^Thank you very much, maybe I'll give it a try

25-05-2008
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by gius View Post
nice point, fabulyss
i hear though as long as the patient believes they will get better from such and such a thing, they will

i think tFS member Leda knows about ayurveda

this is one of the quizzes available to find out which type you are
http://altmedicine.about.com/library..._ayurveda1.htm
i tried two (i lost the other url)
and they both gave me vata-kapha

& here are some guides for the types
http://ayurveda-foryou.com/clinical_...recommend.html
Thanks for the survey! I'm Pitta type and it's scary how accurate the description is (I googled it to get a more detailed explanation). I might just have to give this a try

~Madeleine Albright
25-05-2008
V.I.P.

You're welcome hipkitten

When I did the test, I remember it was during the winter... and I just took it again last night ---I got new results, Vata type

but looking at the other types, I actually totally fit in with Vata or Vata-Kapha types especially the part about careers/jobs, which I agreed more with Maybe I switch between Vata and Kapha during the seasons... Vata apparently is very unpredictable

27-05-2008
fashion insider

Some more information

http://www.omveda.com.au/
Our philosophy is very simple " if you cannot eat it, do not put it on your skin. What is put on the skin should be filled with nourishment, naturally occurring vitamins and minerals safe enough to be taken internally." Omveda Ayurvedic beauty and skin care products are manufactured to adhere to this principal.
  • Essential Oils can be too concentrated and can irritate sensitive skin. In it's skincare products OmVeda uses pure herbs specifically selected to balance the body, mind and soul.
  • The base of our skincare products are beeswax, sunflower oil, almond oil, sesame oil, purified water. That is it.
  • All our skincare products are made to Strict Ayurvedic Medicinal Guidelines.
  • Our products are 100% natural.
  • What is good for the inside is good for the outside.
From an ayurvedic perspective there are seven dhatus or tissues. The outer layer being the skin and innermost being the blood plasma. Srotas or channels pass through the dhatus. Srotas when blocked or filled with toxins are the seat of disease or imbalance.

There are many ways to keep the body in balance. The one that is ignored the most is the skin. It is the largest organ of the body, and it is one place that we do not give much thought to from the point of view of what goes on it.

People are generally so very careful about what they eat and drink – organic food, vitamins and minerals. OmVeda ingredients are organically grown, and picked in the right season for maximum potency and effectiveness in skin care.

27-05-2008
fashion insider

http://www.pioneerthinking.com/dnl_skincare.html

Beauty and Skin Care The Maharishi Ayurveda Approach By: Nancy Lonsdorf M.D. “Every person is born perfect. Inferiority is a mistake of the mind, a cloud covering the light. Dissolve the clouds by observing a balanced life with healthy habits. Nourish your mind and body. Connect with your own inner self. Celebrate your own magnificence and your beauty will always shine through.” - Dr. Rama Kant Mishra, renowned Ayurvedic physician and dermatologist.

The Three Pillars of Beauty

Maharishi Ayurveda (MAV), the modern, consciousness-based revival of the ancient Ayurvedic medicine tradition, considers true beauty to be supported by three pillars; Outer Beauty, Inner Beauty and Lasting Beauty. Only by enhancing all three can we attain the balanced state of radiant health that makes each of us the most fulfilled and beautiful person we can be.

Outer Beauty: Roopam

The outer signs of beauty - your skin, hair and nails - are more than just superficial measures of beauty. They are direct reflections of your overall health. These outer tissues are created by the inner physiological processes involved in digestion, metabolism and proper tissue development. Outer beauty depends more on the strength of your digestion and metabolism, the quality of your diet, and the purity of your blood, than on external cleansers and conditioners you may apply.

General Recommendations for Outer Beauty
As we will discuss, the key to skin care is matching your diet and skin care routine to the specific skin type you have. Meanwhile, there are some valuable recommendations for lustrous skin, hair and nails that will be helpful to everyone, regardless of skin type.

1. Diet: Without adequate nourishment, your collagen layer thins and a kind of wasting takes place. Over time, your skin can shrivel up like a plant without water from lack of nourishment. To keep your skin plump and glowing:

A. Eat fresh, whole organic foods that are freshly prepared.

Avoid packaged, canned, frozen, processed foods and leftovers. These foods have little nutritional value and also they are often poorly digested which creates impurities that localize in the skin. The resulting buildup of toxins causes irritation and blocks circulation depriving the skin of further nourishment and natural cleansing processes.

B. Favor skin nourishing foods.

1. Leafy green vegetables contain vitamins, minerals (especially iron and calcium) and are high in antioxidant properties. They nourish the skin and protect it from premature aging.

2. Sweet juicy fruits like grapes, melons, pears, plums and stewed apples at breakfast are excellent for the skin in almost everyone.

3. Eat a wide variety of grains over different meals and try mixed grain servings at breakfast and lunch. Add amaranth, quinoa, cous cous, millet and barley to the wheat and rice you already eat.

4. Favor light, easy to digest proteins like legume soups (especially yellow split mung dhal), whole milk, paneer (cheese made from boiling milk, adding lemon and straining solids) and lassi (diluted yogurt and spice drinks).

5. Oils like ghee (clarified butter) and organic, extra virgin olive oil should be included in the diet as they lubricate, nourish and create lustre in the skin.

6. Use spices like turmeric, cumin, coriander, and black pepper to improve digestion, nourish the skin and cleanse it of impurities.

7. Avoid microwaving and boiling your vegetables. They lose as much as 85% of their antioxidant content when cooked in this way. Steaming and sautéing are best.

Caring for outer beauty through knowledge of skin type
Besides these general recommendations the key to Outer Beauty is to understand the difference in skin types so you can gain the maximum benefit from your individualized skin care regimen. MAV identifies three different skin types based on which of the three main metabolic principles (doshas)- present in everyone, but to different degrees- is most dominant in your body.

27-05-2008
fashion insider

http://www.boloji.com/ayurveda/av065.htm

Ayurvedic Skin Care:
Eating Your Way to Clear Beautiful Skin

by Shreelata Suresh

Ayurvedic healers contend that clear beautiful skin on the outside happens only when your insides are clean and toxin-free and you follow a strict daily and weekly external cleansing regimen. With these timeless beauty secrets from Ayurveda, you can keep your skin looking and feeling clear, healthy and radiant.

Your skin is like a mirror: it reflects what’s going on inside. Blemishes, eruptions, patches and sallow skin are often related to inappropriate diet or lifestyle choices that lead to accumulation of dietary toxins, called ama in Ayurveda. Following a skin-friendly diet, making sure your digestion-absorption-elimination cycle is efficient and supplementing with skin-friendly herbs help your skin look clear, radiant, healthy and youthful.

In general, choose foods that are appropriate for your constitution and the season. Eat lighter meals, space out your meals so that one meal is digested before you introduce another into your system, and choose whole fresh foods.

Here are seven simple dietary recommendations that will help keep your insides cleansed, and lead to a clear glowing complexion that will turn heads:

1. Start your day with a mug of hot water into which the juice of half of one lemon has been freshly squeezed. Lemon is anti-bacterial, promotes regular elimination and helps flush toxins from your system. If your skin tends to be oily, a second drink of lemon water in the afternoon can be helpful. Vata and Pitta skinned individuals can start the day with a handful of raisins that have been soaked in water the previous night. Raisins help promote regularity.

2. Have two or three herb/spice tea breaks during the day. Choose from fennel, mint, cumin, fresh ginger root, aniseed, cardamom, rosehips and cinnamon. Ayurvedic herbs that are known for their cleansing properties include Neem, Indian Sarsaparilla, Turmeric, Indian Madder (Manjistha) and Marshmallow Root. These herbs cleanse the blood and help support the liver in its efforts to keep your system free of toxins.

Basic Cleansing Spice Tea
1/8 tsp cumin seed (whole)
1/2 tsp fennel seed (whole)
2 fresh mint leaves (spearmint or peppermint)

Bring a large cup of pure water to a rolling boil. Add the whole spices, turn off heat, cover and steep for 5 minutes. Strain and enjoy warm or at room temperature.

Optional additions for persons with Vata skin: 1/8 tsp minced fresh ginger root or 1 tiny stick Chinese cinnamon or one green cardamom (whole) crushed lightly to break open the skin. Add a pinch of Indian Sarsaparilla or Marshmallow Root (tea-cut leaf is best, but powdered is acceptable).

Optional additions for persons with Pitta skin: 1 organic food-grade rosehip or 1/4 tsp aniseed or one green cardamom (whole) crushed lightly to break open the skin. Add one pinch of Neem or Marshmallow Root.

Optional additions for persons with Kapha skin: 1/8 tsp minced fresh ginger root or 1 tiny stick Chinese cinnamon or 1 peppercorn. Add one pinch of Neem or Indian Madder or Turmeric.
The teas are fragrant and flavorful, but if you find you need a sweetener, stir in a dash of honey for Kapha or a pinch of raw sugar for Vata or Pitta.

3. At lunch, include a portion of raw vegetable salad to your meal. If your digestive fire is very dim, you may want to wait until it is stronger, since raw foods are harder to digest and the benefit of eating the salad is only derived when your system is able to digest the assimilate the nutrients. Chop the veggies fine or grate them. Stick to high-water content vegetables that are easier to digest, such as lettuce, carrot, cucumber, daikon radish (which is revered by Ayurvedic healers for its purifying properties), fennel bulb and tops and very tender asparagus tips. These vegetables are tridoshic: they are good for all types of skin. Combine at least 3 and enjoy with a simple olive oil-lemon juice dressing.

Cruciferous vegetables, although very purifying and skin-friendly, are harder to digest and should be steamed before they are eaten. If you are an individual with Vata skin, minimize consumption of cruciferous vegetables. For Pitta and Kapha skin, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts can be steamed and dressed with an olive-oil/lemon juice dressing for a cooked lunchtime salad.

4. Dry-roasted seeds are rich in nutrients and good essential oils. They offer natural lubrication and are recommended for all types of skin (in small quantities for persons with Kapha skin). Sesame seeds, melon seeds or sunflower seeds can be dry-roasted and sprinkled on top of salads and soups for a nice crunch.

27-05-2008
fashion insider

(Continued)

http://www.boloji.com/ayurveda/av065.htm
5. Persons with a less fiery digestion can enjoy the benefits of skin-friendly vegetables by combining them in detoxifying soups. Steam-cooked cauliflower or broccoli can also pureed with a little organic rice milk to make a hearty dinnertime soup for Pitta or Kapha-skinned persons. Steam-cooked whole or cooked pureed asparagus is extremely beneficial for all types of skin.

6. Include at least one helping of a leafy green vegetable a day. Pick only the freshest greens, wash thoroughly and shred large leaved varieties into fine slivers before cooking. Persons with Kapha skin can benefit from the addition of peppery greens such as mustard, and persons with Pitta skin from the addition of a bitter green such as fenugreek or tender dandelion. Steam-cook your greens until just done and drizzle with a little olive oil or sauté them in olive oil and your choice of spices. Leafy greens help nourish, protect and detoxify the skin.

7. Stick to skin-friendly oils and avoid foods that contain trans-fats. While bad fats lead to clogged skin pores, breakouts and a sallow appearance, healthy oils can actually enhance skin health, clarity and luminescence. This is especially so if you have Vata skin, which tends to be naturally dry and rough and prone to flaking easily. Ayurvedic healers recommend ghee, which is clarified butter – butter with all the milk solids removed. Extra-virgin olive, sesame or walnut oil are other good choices. Ghee has the advantage of being able to be heated; other oils should be drizzled over cooked foods.

27-05-2008
fashion insider

what is your ayurvedic type?
http://altmedicine.about.com/library...z_ayurveda.htm

how to eat for your ayurvedic type
http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/2/a/ayurveda.htm

Ayurvedic Cleansing Method
http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/diet...anchaKarma.htm

27-05-2008
fashion insider

http://ayurveda-foryou.com/treat/doshadiet.html

Ayurvedic Diet

Diet according to Dosha

We all know that for healthy living we require a balanced diet constituted of protein, carbohydrates and fats, minerals ,vitamines etc.

Ayurveda has considered about the diet in detail. The Ayurvedic diet is one that not only nourishes the body, but also restores balance of 'Tridoshas' wich is very much essential for maintaining Health. Depending on our dosha, or constitutional type, some foods can be beneficial, and others should be avoided. These same foods may have the opposite effect on another dosha. The science of Ayurveda teaches that right diet is the foundation of healing. For maximum health and vitality, the ideal diet is one that balances our doshas.

Here we are recommending foods to balance each of the three doshas.

VATA DOSHA
The qualities of vata are cold, dry, light, hard, and rough.

VATA PACIFYING FOODS:
General : excess vata can be counterbalanced with nutritive and tissue-building foods that are warm, moist, heavy, soft and oily, as well as foods with a sweet, sour and salty taste. For example, vata pacifying foods include ghee, soft dairy products, wheat, rice, corn and [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]bananas[/COLOR][/COLOR]. A person with a vata constitution should favor foods like hot cereal with ghee, hearty soups and [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]vegetables[/COLOR][/COLOR], and whole cooked grains and chapatis. Spicy foods are generally okay for vata.
Vegetables : Asparagus, beets, carrots, cucumber, green beans, okra (bhindi), onions and garlic , radishes, sweet potatoes, turnips.
[COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Fruits[/COLOR][/COLOR] : Bananas, coconuts, dates, mangoes, melons, peaches, all sweet fruits in general.
Grains : Oats, rice and wheat

VATA AGGRAVATING FOODS:
General : Foods with the vata qualities, such as crackers, frozen [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]desserts[/COLOR][/COLOR], and large amounts of raw vegetables and salads, will aggravate vata. Also, refined foods such as white flour and sugar, have light and dry qualities and would be best avoided by people with vata constitutions.Pungent, bitter, astringent; light, dry, cold foods,stimulants like smoking, alcohol, junk food, sugar, tea (esp. long leaf teas and [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]green [COLOR=blue! important]tea[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]), brown rice.
Vegetables : Cabbage, cauliflower, celery, brinjal, leafy green vegetables, mushrooms, peas, peppers (simla mirch) potatoes, sprouts, tomatoes, zucchini (tori). If you do have these vegetables cook them in pure desi ghee or unrefined til oil. Tomatoes are best avoided except as a small addition to salads.
Fruits : Apples, pears, pomegranates.
Spices: Vatas can have almost all spices and herbs in moderation When there is aggravated Vata, the following are to be taken with caution : [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]coriander[/COLOR][/COLOR] seeds (dhaniya powder), fenugreek (methi seeds), saffron, turmeric, parsley. Avoid too much hot, dry spices such as dried chili, which will aggravate dryness.

PITTA DOSHA
Pitta's properties are hot, sharp, oily and light.

PITTA PACIFYING FOODS:
General : you can balance excess pitta with foods that are cool, dry and heavy with a mild, naturally sweet, bitter or astringent taste. For example, milk, rice, beans, steamed vegetables and fruit are good for pitta people. Mild spices like cumin, coriander and cilantro are particularly beneficial for pitta. Sweet, bitter, astringent; cold, heavy, dry. Moderation, coolness, ghee, coconut oil, [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]olive [COLOR=blue! important]oil[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR], green coriander (dhaniya), coriander seeds, cardamom, sprouts and raw foods.
Vegetables & Fruits: can eat most vegetables and fruits. Exceptions are given below.
Grains : Barley, oats, wheat, parboiled rice.

PITTA AGGRAVATING FOODS:
General : pungent and oily foods such as curry, fried foods and spicy condiments, as well as spices such as cayenne, garlic and dry ginger, should be avoided by pitta constitutions. Pungent, sour, salty, hot, light, oily. Stimulants like smoking, alcohol, coffee, pickles, vinegar, fried foods, spicy foods, fermented foods, curds, almond, corn, til, mustard oil.
Vegetables : Beets, carrots, brinjal, garlic, [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]hot [COLOR=blue! important]peppers[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR], onions, spinach, tomatoes.
Fruit : Sour and unripe fruits. If there is aggravated Pitta avoid grapefruit, papayas, peaches, bananas, apricots.
Grains : Brown rice, corn, millet, rye.

KAPHA DOSHA
The qualities of kapha dosha are cold, heavy, liquid and unctuous.

KAPHA PACIFYING FOODS:
General : To balance kapha dominance, eat smaller amounts of food and emphasize food with vata properties of light and dry. Also, foods which are dry, hot or sharp are recommended, so look for foods with pungent, bitter or astringent tastes. Examples include puffed cereals such as puffed rice or corn; small, astringent grains, such as millet, amaranth, and quinoa; and light, bitter vegetables such as leafy greens. Spices like ginger, [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]turmeric[/COLOR][/COLOR] and chili are generally good for kapha people.
Favour : Warm light food, dry food cooked without much water, minimum of butter, oil and sugar, stimulating foods (ginger, chillies, pickles), raw foods, salads, fruits.
Vegetables : Generally all vegetables are good, but if you are suffering from any kapha disorder like lung congestion, congestive asthma, sinuses, obesity, heart disease, diabetes, high cholestrol, then avoid all sweet juicy vegetables such as cucumbers, pumpkin family, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, tori, ghiya etc.

Fruits : Apples, apricots, pears, pomegranates, dried fruits in general (apricots, figs, prunes, raisins)
Lentils & Legumes : If the dosha is not aggravated all except tofu and [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]kidney [COLOR=blue! important]beans[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] are acceptable.
Spices : All are good - ginger is best for improving digestion, turmeric is excellent for drying out the mucous, chillies are excellent for removing mucous.

KAPHA AGGRAVATING FOODS :
General : Foods such as dairy products, wheat, avocados and oils have these qualities and will increase kapha in the body. Sweet, sour, salty; heavy, oily, cold. Desserts, sweets, ice cream, deep fried foods, possessiveness, miserliness, laziness.
Vegetables : all sweet juicy vegetables such as cucumbers, pumpkin family, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, tori, ghiya etc.
Fruits : All sweet juicy fruits in general.
Lentils & Legumes : Tofu and kidney beans.
Spices : excess salt.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
ancient, ayurveda, ayurvedic, indian, medicine, skincare