How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-11-2005
V.I.P.

Absolutely do it! I took excellent classes with Karen Stringer this summer in Cambridge... you won't be professional but aim to be good.

Igor Youskevitch started when he was 22... of course he was a gymnast before that!!!!

11-11-2005
V.I.P.

Oh I don't like workout ballet classes -they aren't as aspirational! Try finding an adult class where they will enter you in exams and in which you will actually progress... don't forget yoga is good too

11-11-2005
fashion elite

Hate those classes in which they have to test you and you have to pass an exam. So dumb, ballet is much more than a simple exam.Hate,hate,hate them, I remembered me and my teacher talked and talked about and how we hated those exams, trust me, there were 2 girls who had all their "exams" with good "grades" and had a "good" level and they weren't good at all, my teacher believes that ballet is an art and arts can never be tested or graded.

fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette
Hate those classes in which they have to test you and you have to pass an exam. So dumb, ballet is much more than a simple exam.Hate,hate,hate them, I remembered me and my teacher talked and talked about and how we hated those exams, trust me, there were 2 girls who had all their "exams" with good "grades" and had a "good" level and they weren't good at all, my teacher believes that ballet is an art and arts can never be tested or graded.
SiennainLondon...I am not looking to enroll in ballet classes were i would be tested...its pretty diffcuilt for me to that now because of my time constraint...thats why i prefer dvds..however my fear is that i may not master the exact move how will i know that i am doing it correctly..

Odette...how can i thank you? your generous tips are so great....i feel like wanting to start from now...I wanted to ask you do ballet dancers go on a specific diet...i mean to be a ballet dancer you have to be light right, so i am assuming that you have a certain form of dos and not dos when it comes to eatting..can you let us to the secerts?
Thanks again and karama

11-11-2005
fashion elite

I don't think it's a matter of being "light or ultra slim".The thing is that ballet dancers aim to "transform" their bodies into something greater and get to that point when we can understand and know every muscle of our body.Of course to do that, you need to work hard and long hours which helps to toned up. The amazing thing about ballet is that it is such an exact science and it's so well studied that you end up having a great body because you worked it properly. It's not like this football players or gym's addict(not offense!)it's a complete different body.That kid of body is supposed to make things easier and help you work when doing ballet.
As for diet, there are some natural skinny guys that and all toned and some others that need to go on a diet if they want. Please, forget about that thing of ballet teachers encouraging to loose weight, is not true!
I did go on a diet for a few months and then stopped, eat healthy food and that's ll be it(I live in Europe,so I take a healthy diet, it's my culture). As long as you look/are healthy looking. You are doing ballet because you want to,don't add that preassure on going on a diet from the very beginning.

Dos/Don'ts
1.Before going to stage don't drink or eat(I mean don'tdo it if you are to start dancing in 5 mins, insane)
3.Fruits&Water
4.Carbs are necessary too.

¡vamos Rafa!

haha i've just checked this thread ( i hadn't come since i last wrote) and i've seen odette has answered questions just as i said.. odette your a sweetie

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette
\

Well Odette, when you are a 19 year old heffer, then it is not about being good, it is about pretending you are good

Love your av by the way. It seems in recent months there has been a mass switch to Kate avatars. Can't think why

Last edited by SiennaInLondon; 12-11-2005 at 09:38 PM.
05-01-2006
rising star

I love ballet

06-01-2006
scenester

I Do Ballet..... Yyayyy Lol

fashion elite

Quote:
Well Odette, when you are a 19 year old heffer, then it is not about being good, it is about pretending you are good
That's right, I hope you understand why I hate those exams.

Dior-so you do ballet? That's great news

JEM
rising star

Hey just wanted to add my 2 cents. I used to dance quite a bit, but sadly quit this year. I'm hoping to start again in a very near future.
In any case, I took ballet, i started when i was about 7, but i knew i was never gonna become pro. I did it for posture, and for the basic steps for other dance forms. But people who see me immediaty say "you've danced", and that i owe to ballet. At one moment, I danced in a really small school, mainly as a favor to a friend, and a woman came to our class, and she had never danced in her life, and she was in her 30s. With ballet, don't expect to become like the top dancers you see ( aka stick thin) but you will definitly build some new muscles, gain posture, and feel all around good, because even though it will be hard and frustrating, if you really stick to it, you will see results, and that will be great for your body and soul. Sorry if I sound a bit melodramatic!! Have fun dancing!!!

rising star

Being slim helps with speed and agility and makes it easier for a man to lift you - which you probably won't have to worry about.

I worked as the Assistant Director of a major ballet company's school for years and they still have a wonderful adult ballet program. I highly recommend studying with a teacher over a DVD. A teacher will make sure that you don't injure yourself, that you are turning out correctly and staying in alignment which is important. Plus, learning with others is fun. Since you will be pushing your body to do things it doesn't want to do, frequency of classes makes a big difference. if you can't take regular classes, make sure you stretch everyday AND also raise up onto demi pointe while brushing your teeth, cutting vegetables, etc. You want to strengthen your calves and get the balls of your feet used to the pressure. My mother was a dancer and ran a school in our home and we welcomed people of all sizes and all goals.

A great stretch to help with turn out is to lie on your stomach and bend your knees and put your toes together - like the frog position but on your stomach. Your body weight will help stretch your inner thigh and rotate your hips which is where turnout happens. There are lot of exercises you can do with therabands too for stretching your feet also.

Best of luck and have fun all of you soon-to-be dancers!!

12-05-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcisima
I've got a question...I know this may seem a bit dumb of me to ask...but is it too late to start ballet? When I was a 6 years old I did ballet for 4 years then stopped due to an injury..I am 24 now and would like to do some ballet...but i was told that its not an intense work out and results wont be noticeable...it would be more noticeable when your younger...ie. the posture, the toned body etc...any ballet dancers here started at an older age ? any tips? good ballet videos? etc..please share
hey go for it!!
there's some good books on amazon for adult beginners.
tell us how you go =)

12-05-2006
V.I.P.

^^ lovely mommie, I love stretching exercises. After a long day at the office, stretching is a great way to unwind and release all that tension in the body. I love the "froggy" stretch too!

13-05-2006
trendsetter

I'm really glad your thinking about starting again. Definetly go for it

I started ballet when I was 7 and quit when I was 9, I regreted it and I started again from square 1. Luckily the local dance place has teen classes.

If you decide to take lessons again, make sure to look for adult classes, I'm sure they have some. And also check to make sure the class is full year, and all the prices seem reasonable.

Good luck!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
ballet