How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-05-2006
V.I.P.

I took many years of ballet mainly for technique. My main thing was jazz & I was in a touring jazz dance company back in the 80's. I stopped dancing for nearly 10 years & have just started ballet classes again. Its the best thing Ive ever done! Dance feeds my soul & Ive been missing that creative thing in my life big time. I know I cant make a career of ballet now but I have been asked to be in a performance so that made me really happy. Just to be able to dance makes me happy. Im planning on taking modern dance too & then getting into ballroom where I know I can have a dance career for years to come as a teacher. It would be the best to have a job I love. Right now Im in the medical field & it is rewarding & all but like I said something is just missing. Just getting into class again has done so much for me. So I say GO FOR IT FOR SURE!!

Last edited by Tiffany7; 13-05-2006 at 03:39 PM.

13-05-2006
front row

Hi everyone, I'd like to put my two cents in. I've been a classically trained ballerina for the past 14 years. I dance 3 hours a night for 5 days a week, and 6 hours on Saturdays too. So I can certainly attest that ballet is/can be very intensive, but I will also say that it is AMAZING!

Whether you do it for the love of the artform or as part of a fitness program, ballet is an enjoyable way to live a healthy lifestyle. And despite what anybody says, you CAN dance at any age! I mean granted if you take your first class at age 30 or something you probably won't become a professional. But that's not what's important, because most people dance for the love and enjoyment of it- not for career aspirations. So I say definitely take ballet, or any form of dance for that matter, because you will find that you will truly grow to love it!!!

Anyone can dance, and everyone should

13-05-2006
V.I.P.

Wow I remember schedules like that. I dont think I could do more than 3 classes a week now though... I have just started dancing again so I havent quite got my stamina up yet but the more I take the more I want to take.

I completely agree... your never to old to dance!

13-05-2006
V.I.P.

I've been dancing jazz for the past 6 years and will probably start ballet next week. I've problems with my left turnout - it's not as far out as my right. Any exercises I can do to improve?

13-05-2006
fashion elite

^ Do pliés in third position then the fifth position. Grand battement can also loosen the hips. Then do a battment tendu with a demiplié in the 4th + 5th position. Good luck.

14-05-2006
V.I.P.

^ Pliés in third and fifth = ouch for me right now. :p

14-05-2006
V.I.P.

Yay I dance ballet too! It's so fun I've danced for 9 yrs. I know I'm not going to be a pro but I still want to continue cause it's such a good workout.

14-05-2006
fashion elite

You'll get there . They usually use pliés as warmup to loosen you up.

14-05-2006
front row

Wow, it's great to see that you are a dancer too! Yeah, the schedule's crazy (as you already understand) but I love it so it's worth it. And I'm glad to see you're dancing again- welcome back sweetie! Keep me posted on how your classes are going, it's so great to talk to another dancer. Talk to you soon chickie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany7
Wow I remember schedules like that. I dont think I could do more than 3 classes a week now though... I have just started dancing again so I havent quite got my stamina up yet but the more I take the more I want to take.

I completely agree... your never to old to dance!

15-05-2006
scenester

i danced ballet ever since i could remember until i was 11. I am 14 now, and, though i am glad i took a break, i truly want to start again. I think i needed a break to try out other things..but i've realized that i enjoy ballet the most and i am the best at it ha. I plan on starting classes again this summer, but even though i was very good while i was dancing, i barely exercise now and im afraid of being stuck with 8 year olds because i will not be able to keep up with any other class. Anyway, I really am going to give it a try this summer...wish me luck!

19-05-2006
V.I.P.

First adult ballet class in 1/2 an hour

Does ballet make your thighs bigger because you work the muscles so much? My thighs are already big as it is and I don't want them to get any bigger.

22-05-2006
V.I.P.

bluestar07, I think they make muscles bit leaner and so.

We had ballet show tonight, it went quite well. My group (5 ppl) were dancing solos. I was happy frog :p The story was based on the "golden egg" stuff written by some russian. We have another one tomorrow too.

I'm sooo tired.

// shouldn't this thread belong in the hair, skin bodycare section?

23-05-2006
V.I.P.

^ that's fantastic!!!! I asked my ballet teacher and she said it gets bigger if u work the wrong muscles. I don't want my quads to get any bigger.

23-05-2006
backstage pass

yay a ballet thread!!

23-05-2006
front row

I this thread. I REALLY want to sign up for a ballet class, just for fun. It's something I wanted to do when I was little but I never had the money to. My friend takes ballet and jazz, so I guess I'll ask her about where to go...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
ballet