How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-11-2005
fashion elite

Ballet
I've got a question...I know this may seem a bit dumb of me to ask...but is it too late to start ballet? When I was a 6 years old I did ballet for 4 years then stopped due to an injury..I am 24 now and would like to do some ballet...but i was told that its not an intense work out and results wont be noticeable...it would be more noticeable when your younger...ie. the posture, the toned body etc...any ballet dancers here started at an older age ? any tips? good ballet videos? etc..please share

10-11-2005
¡vamos Rafa!

i don't know hardly anything about ballet but i may suggest you asking odette. she'll know

fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by stersita
i don't know hardly anything about ballet but i may suggest you asking odette. she'll know
Gracias who is odette? is she a TFS member?

10-11-2005
¡vamos Rafa!

yeah she is she does ballet so i think she will be able to answer your questions

fashion elite

I just wrote a PM,hope it makes it a bit more clear!

windowshopping

I would like to know the answers to her questions as well! I started a teen ballet class in September and I really like it, but I don't think I'll be able to find a class more advanced that it once I get better.

10-11-2005
stl
trendsetter

when I was 6 years old, I was submitted to Bolshoi's ballet class in Russia. I guess that's because I'm naturally thin. But I wasn't permanent resident there, so gave up. But as far as I know, it's a real hard work and it's better you start it this early. OKay, just my two cents, it was such a long time ago.

10-11-2005
V.I.P.

Well, I started ballet last year (at 16) but I mean, I know I'm never going to make a career out of it (or I'd end up in the streets, dirt poor without a job ) but I really enjoy it so I think that if you'd like to pursue ballet for fun and to tone your muscles and gain some flexibility, etc, you should go ahead and do it! I'm taking adult classes (I'm the youngest one :p, there are women who are like.. 50!? in my group!!!) and it's pretty much beginner/intermediate classes but it keeps me more active than not and I get to learn how to dance So I'm kind of biased because I love ballet, but I would say go ahead and take some classes, you don't have a lot to lose!

10-11-2005
offline.

Ballet would be great for flexibility and a calm workout, I would think.

I took ballet every since I was 4 all the way until 20... I miss it. :'(

11-11-2005
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna
Ballet would be great for flexibility and a calm workout, I would think.

I took ballet every since I was 4 all the way until 20... I miss it. :'(
Awwww Luna thats a shame...cant you go back and do ballet? 16 years of ballet wow...i bet you've got an amazing figure

So those who did ballet , would recommend dvd ballet? The classes that they conduct are for 8year olds..and i would look quite odd...besides I was thinking of doing ballet during the morning before i go to work..any tips?

11-11-2005
fashion elite

Oddette pmed with the answers of my questions...I will share them with you all, so that she doesnt have to repeat the same thing...below is a copy and paste from the pm..
Originally Posted by Dulcisima
Hi there...I posted a thread recently about Ballet http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...let-34457.html. One of the TFS members suggested that I ask you about ballet since you have an abundant of knowlegde about ballet.

The thing I would like to do some ballet dancing through a dvd video as a work out..I heard from some that its good workout and results are visible...and some others said to me results take a long time to be visible plus you would have had to start at at an earlier age. I am 24 now, and i was wondering would ballet impact my body shape and if so, is there any dvd that you recommend for me to follow?
Many thanks

Hi!
Well I now quite a lot cause I've don 12 years of ballet if France and Spain. So you are trying to learn from a DVD isn't it? Well, I don't know about it cause I want to an academy but I know quite a few good DVD's that could help you

1)Ballet Class for Beginners with David Howard VHS
2)New York City Ballet Workout 2 VHS.
3)The New York City Ballet Workout (2000)
4)The New York City Ballet Workout, Vol. 2 (2003)

Since I don't know much about your ballet experince, are you a newbie or re-starting again? You do point work too? Understand the basics concepts? Know some of our vocab like pas de chat...

U're 24, well let's face it, it's a bit late to be the star of the NY city ballet! But of course,is not late to start it as hobbie, as something you like.

Effect on your body? Yes, you'll how to stand properly, control your respiration,feet are going to suffer if you do point work and if you do it right, you be all toned. But it's hard, I promise. Some days you will so tired...people think ballet is just jumping around but I can tell is not. It's difficult plus you need to understand why we do the things we do in that way and what the aim of ballet is.

Result, you can be years think you are not doing any work and not getting any results, but one day you reliase you can do 62 changement de pieds without getting all tired and breathless. Plus, you'll se your elasticy increases and you control your body better...

Ballet is just great!

11-11-2005
fashion icon

I started ballet at age 3 and did it for 15 years.. though i still can't skip a day without dancing.
I think restart ballet at age 24 is fine until you don't think about being professional. ^^"

11-11-2005
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midori
I started ballet at age 3 and did it for 15 years.. though i still can't skip a day without dancing.
I think restart ballet at age 24 is fine until you don't think about being professional. ^^"
i dont want to take it as a profession just a work out

11-11-2005
urd
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcisima
i dont want to take it as a profession just a work out
well do what ever you want then. of course you can start now. I used to do ballet between ages of 5-19 and I was never seriously thinking I could be a pro. but it is still fun, gives you great posture and is like the best work out ever!

11-11-2005
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by urd
well do what ever you want then. of course you can start now. I used to do ballet between ages of 5-19 and I was never seriously thinking I could be a pro. but it is still fun, gives you great posture and is like the best work out ever!
I would love to have a great posture ( thats what i am suffering from now, a bad posture ) but would i have a good posture if i practised ballet as a work out? i heard that i ought to be quite young to build such posture..

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
ballet