How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-08-2006
windowshopping

Bikram Followers..
Hi Everyone,
I have recently started doing Bikram yoga, and it is so wonderful. My skin cleared up in a week, and my body feels so toned. My heart also races as if I am running!

Are there any others in here that do Bikram, and if so share some of your success stories !

Cheers

10-08-2006
V.I.P.

i love bikram!!!
it's so relaxing

10-08-2006
windowshopping

It is, it's the only time of day where my brain is not all scattered and I am thinking of ONE thing.

10-08-2006
scenester

my friends have done it and absolutey can not say anything bad about it- theres a student by my college so i think i am going to look into it when i go back

V.I.P.

Birkam totally makes you more alert too. I don't know about anyone else, but afterwordsm you just feel so concentrated on whatever you're doing. Plus, you feel like you're glowing.

11-08-2006
trendsetter

I dont really see the point of heating the room. I prefer ashtanga.

12-08-2006
V.I.P.

^ heating the room makes you sweat more, which cleanses your body from all those toxins. It's very medicinal

14-08-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaroqueRockstar
^ heating the room makes you sweat more, which cleanses your body from all those toxins. It's very medicinal
it also helps you perform the positions with more ease.

15-08-2006
backstage pass

id never heard of this until it was posted in the daily exercise forum...and then i found an article in an old magazine on it.i'll scan it tomorrow.and give it a go although i still dont totally get it

15-08-2006
front row

I want to try this! Did it make you lose weight/tone your body or what?

16-08-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyyyy
id never heard of this until it was posted in the daily exercise forum...and then i found an article in an old magazine on it.i'll scan it tomorrow.and give it a go although i still dont totally get it
basically it is 90 minutes of yoga, in 100+ temperatures, there are a total of 26 poses I believe. I am not sure what you don't get but, it is great for releasing stress and clearing your mind, ridding your body of toxins through a great amount of sweat, sweating in turn improves your skin, and you tone up immensely.

16-08-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxkissbangxx
I want to try this! Did it make you lose weight/tone your body or what?
It has personally done wonders for my body I am loosing a little bit of weight but toning up a lot.

16-08-2006
V.I.P.

^ you also don't have to worry about getting gross bulky muscles
it helps you loose weight, but you have to be careful because you loose a lot of water so if you don't hydrate, you could become dehydrated.

16-08-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaroqueRockstar
^ you also don't have to worry about getting gross bulky muscles
it helps you loose weight, but you have to be careful because you loose a lot of water so if you don't hydrate, you could become dehydrated.
very true! It definitely produces the lean and long look. And water is key all day before class.

21-08-2006
101st monkey airborne

Bikram yoga made me lose weight, too much weight, in fact. I became very hot and too dry, and not just during class. No matter how much water I drank before, during, and after class, I would still wake up at 2:00AM sweating hot with a terrible thirst. Although it did help with rectifying knee pain I've had (likely from the weight loss), I think doing it every day as the teachers recommended was a bit depleting for my constitution.

I'm a little too overheated, lean, and limber to begin with--a real vata/pitta type, ayurvedically. I do better with slower, cooler exercise like hatha yoga and tai chi chuan. I think those who tend to being cold, stiff-jointed, tight-muscled, and who put on weight easily really take to Bikram's yoga very well. It really revs up your metabolism and gives you a burst of energy.

My advice to anyone, though, is to not pay attention to what others' bodies are doing in the big mirror; don't try to push yourself competitively to go as deep into poses as the person next to you. "Yoga" and "competition" goes together about as much as "poetry" and "competition": somewhere, somehow, someone's going to get hurt, and it isn't gonna be pretty.

Don't mess with Bikram Choudhary, BTW. Upon patenting his yoga sequence, he was quoted as saying, "I have balls like atom bombs, two of them, 100 megatons each. Nobody f*cks with me." Which, if I were looking for a guru, would be just the exact mantra I'd want to get. Righteous!

Last edited by mellowdrama; 21-08-2006 at 11:44 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bikram, followers