How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

05-03-2005
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfCats
Implants aren't all the same. Probably early implants have problems that don't happen anymore with newer ones... Like ages ago you had to change the belt on the refridgerator which you don't have to do anymore.
Yes you're right. But scientific improvments have certainly been made to ensure more safety.

Now the implants are made with a stronger but thinner material with no seams. Breast implants used to have seams that would often get hard and break. Now they're just like round bags. They're no longer filled with chemicals but with distilled water and salt solution. It's harmless to the body because you're body already consists of water and some percentage of salt.

As for the mold. Mold is not toxic to the body. So if your implant ruptures and mold forms inside (which takes a while) you're chances of getting an infection are very rare because impants are often removed right away after rupture is detected.

I've only suffered from one of the risks of getting implants. My nipples are constantly "awake" if you know what I mean.

05-03-2005
backstage pass

i learned this rhyme as a kid:
"we must, we must, we must increase our bust
the bigger the better the tighter the sweater
the boys are depending on us!"

how sad! indoctrination starts early! Personally i think bondas are more important than chichis more than a mouthful is too much...

seriously though, our society has no reason to judge the practices of other cultures (like chinese foot binding, scarification, and female genital mutilation or circumcision) as long as women here are compelled to mutilate themselves in the name of some false definition of beauty.

05-03-2005
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerise
(like chinese foot binding, scarification, and female genital mutilation or circumcision) as long as women here are compelled to mutilate themselves in the name of some false definition of beauty.
I don't agree. Women who have plastic surgery by choice are far different from 8 year old girls having their genitals mutilated with a piece of sharp glass on a dirty floor.

The risks and outcomes of female genital mutilation are fare more dangerous than a pair of breast implants or a nose job.

If you read about female genital mutilation I think you would agree.

05-03-2005
backstage pass

actually i've read quite a bit about it. I'm not saying one is better or worse. I'm saying we shouldn't pass judgement on another culture. We can condemn female genital mutilation, but not without looking at the ways that we also participate in cultural practices that control and police women's bodies. We are not any better just because we have access to safer and more sanitary ways of unnecessarily mutilating our bodies.

05-03-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelineChic
I don't agree. Women who have plastic surgery by choice are far different from 8 year old girls having their genitals mutilated with a piece of sharp glass on a dirty floor.
we also need to think about the term "choice." what are the forces behind such choices? do choices truly exist within the constraints of hegemonic cultural spaces? i'll leave it at that so i don't have to write a dissertation on it....

Last edited by cerise; 05-03-2005 at 03:30 PM.

05-03-2005
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerise
We can condemn female genital mutilation, but not without looking at the ways that we also participate in cultural practices that control and police women's bodies.
You use the word "we" as if every woman is part of a culture where she is forced to "mutilate her body" with plastic surgery. That obviously is not the case because the percentage of women who get plastic surgery in our culture is still very small compared to the number of girls who are forced into FGM. The practice of plastic surgery is growing but will never reach to the point where women will be forced to "mutilate" themselves due to their culture.

You're comparing apples to oranges. Comparing little girls to adult women. Comparing a deadly practice to a relatively safe procedure. And comparing the word force to choice.

Go look up the definition of choice. Then go look into how many little girls chose to be mutilated. See if the definition fits.

05-03-2005
backstage pass

if this is your response then you missed my point on two levels. one, i'm not talking about comparing, i'm talking about judging; we shouldn't do it. and two, i know the definition of choice. i'm not convinced that all women who get plastic surgery are operating under true choices. i could point you in the direction of literature on this but that would be as condescending as you telling me to look up the definition of choice. Don't forget that people in societies who practice female genital mutilation often do not see it as such, but as a necessary cultural practice that ensures the virtue of their girls. Do i agree with it? no. would i fight on behalf of women in their culture who do not see it as necessary but as mutilation? yes? would i ignore the ways that we in western or american cultures let cultural values such as beauty influence what we as women do to our bodies? NO.

05-03-2005
backstage pass

starting to wish i left my first post in this thread with the phrase "more than a mouthful is too much."

06-03-2005
fashion elite

Flat as a board! VERY HAPPY!

06-03-2005
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelineChic

Go look up the definition of choice. Then go look into how many little girls chose to be mutilated. See if the definition fits.
i find this comment condescending, rude and unecessary...
ivy...you fall back on this supposed 'argument' far too regularly...imho..

i think a far more intelligent discussion could be had by assuming that the other party actually has some knowledge and understanding of the topic...rather than simply implying that they simply know nothing...it's really a false argument...and does not show your intelligence...but rather your arrogance...

just my point of view...

06-03-2005
Seductress in Eden

06-03-2005
V.I.P.

What I think... is that this is going off-topic.

06-03-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
i find this comment condescending, rude and unecessary...

just my point of view...
off topic of not, i have to say thank you softgrey!! now i'm going to look for a thread on asses...

06-03-2005
flaunt the imperfection

you are most welcome my dear...
btw...we deleted the a**es thread......

06-03-2005
V.I.P.

Awwww, I would've loved to read a thread about a**es.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, boobs