How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-10-2009
rising star

The Caffeine Thread
Being an on/off insomniac and self admitted caffeine junkie, this is really near and dear to my heart. I used to drink 4-5 Mt Dews per day, which are loaded with caffeine plus other sodas like cola and maybe some tea here and there. I also like coffee and some energy drinks. It had noticeable effects on my ability to sleep, and I think sometimes made me grouchy for no reason.

I've been able to tone it down some over the past couple of years and I can definitely feel some positive results, but I still love my drinks.

What is your relationship with caffeine?

18-10-2009
THE STRANGER

I drink a liter of green tea everyday. Last year was a stressful year, I was sleep-deprived while juggling a zillion AP courses, extra curriculars and MUN conferences all over the world... I think I had at least a million cups of coffee a day

18-10-2009
backstage pass

I drink about 2 cups of coffee a day with the occasional cup of tea =)

tfs star

It doesn't take a lot of coffee if it's strong enough for me to feel anxious for hours because of it. Therefore I haven't had any for a while. It's bad enough feeling anxious for an actual reason which at least I know I can diminish if I do some exercise. I mostly stick to tea. I don't want to know what I'd be like if I had as much coffee as some people do.

18-10-2009
front row

I am a huge caffeine junkie as well! It's not uncommon for me to drink 6+ cups of coffee each day. Especially during winter when it gets dark and frigid so early, I tend to self-medicate with coffee.

18-10-2009
backstage pass

Sugar free RedBull is my bestie.

18-10-2009
rising star

Last year when I was doing my college finals I lived off triple espressos, black coffee and sugar-free Red Bull.

Apart from that, I have maybe one cup of coffee a month, a cup of tea about once or twice a week (one of which is usually green tea), maybe one hot chocolate a week and coke or any other pop about four or five times a year.

Really, I tend to stick to water. Sometimes I have a bit of fruit juice (watered down), milk or smoothies, and the occasional naughty milkshake. I rarely drink alcohol but I'm a plain old tap water girl at heart! I don't see the point in sugary or caffeine-loaded drinks - mainly because i love food so i'd rather save my calories for food rather than waste them on drinks when I can drink calorie-free water!

18-10-2009
rock-chic

I really love my coffee & drink several cups per day. When I get up, I can't function until I've had my big mug of coffee. I don't tend to drink caffeinated soft drinks during the day, but sometimes drink vodka & cola when I am out on a night.

rising star

Love caffeine, can't live without it. It makes me a better person in the mornings. I usually only have 1-2 coffees a day though (sometimes up to 4-5 in times of need) and lattes at that. I like espresso too. No sugar. I got my coffee machine serviced a few months ago and since then have been in coffee heaven. I find that coffee wakes me up in the mornings but it also relaxes me at night.

I also drink tea (usually black but I don't mind green/herbal). Cola is an addiction I am once again attempting to curb. I haven't touched V/Red Bull since my uni days

19-10-2009
trendsetter

I'm addicted to coffee, but I'm trying to cut down on it, so I'm drinking like 100 cups of ersatz a day now

Last edited by northernsky; 19-10-2009 at 12:09 AM.
19-10-2009
rising star

I stopped drinking coffee cause it was giving me dysentery, i dont understand how americans drink that much coffee

20-10-2009
doldrums

I rarely consume caffeine. Friend or foe? I'm not sure.

20-10-2009
trendsetter

Both. For school it is not just a friend, it is indispensable. I don't really ever have exams, just a constantly heavy workload of lots of projects. So I rely on coffee to keep me going and not fall asleep at reasonable hours when I still have so much work to do. Which leaves me sleep-deprived and needing more caffeine the next day but it is necessary. My doctor told me to cut back but I don't think that I can stop drinking it and still get all my work done. Definitely friend for school work.

But definitely a foe for my health. So bad for your skin and your body! But I guess there are worse things I could be using. That is what I keep telling myself.

rising star

To the friend or foe question, I would agree and say BOTH. It just depends on what time of day, the mood, the amount, etc. etc...

Geometric Discharge

I'm saying foe now... I have really stopped enjoying drinking coffee - it's just become like a medicine and I'm not into things dictating me.. so I'm weaning myself off it and onto like, fruit juice, water or just nothing.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
caffeine, foe, friend