carbon-monoxide poisoning - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
22-12-2004
V.I.P.

carbon-monoxide poisoning
http://www.carbon-monoxide-poisoning.com/symptoms.html

I just heard on the news where two young boys died of this. The mom had been taking the kids to the doctor for flu like symptoms. He sent them home with standard flu treatment. That night they went to bed and no one woke up till the next afternoon. The dad went to check on the kids and two of them had died during the night. I always knew about this, but I never knew the symptoms were the same as the flu. That's scary. I'm going out today to buy a detector.
I know this is not a health forum,but if someone reads this who has the symptoms it might make all the difference.

22-12-2004
Naturellement pulpeuse

Poor boys

There was a big health scare about this a while back in England. Most people I know have a little CO detector strip in their kitchen (the strip turns black if there's over a certain concentration of CO). You can buy seperate plug-in electrical ones that work like a smoke-detector too though.

22-12-2004
I love model_mom!

You start hearing many stories like these when it starts getting cold and people use their heat.

I heard a really sad story on Oprah about this guy who used his wife's car for a jump-start for his truck. Both vehicles were in the garage and once the guy got his truck started, he removed the jumper cables, closed the garage door and left for work. He was running late and forgot to turn his wife's car off. His wife usually called him at work around 3:00pm every day and when he hadn't heard from her and couldn't get in contact with her, he left to go home. When he got home, he pulled in the garage, but didn't know what had happened at first (his wife's car was off now because it had ran out of gas). When he walked up the stairs calling his wife's name, he heard nothing. As he walked down the hall, he noticed that both of his dogs were laying in front of his bedroom door - he thought that they were asleep, but they were dead and so was his wife. She had been sleeping when he left for work and died in her sleep after the carbon monoxide fumes from her running car filled the house. They said that it probably took about two hours after her husband left for the fumes to be fatal.

It was such a sad story...I felt so sorry for the man because it was a total accident and now his wife and pets are gone. He sobbed as he told the sad story.

I love model_mom!

Something I found.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is a silent killer that can be found in homes everywhere, especially in the colder months. Dr. Winnie King has advice to protect your family from this deadly gas. POISON PROTECTION
  • Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, nausea, dizziness or drowsiness. Also watch for rapid heartbeat, loss of hearing or blurry vision.
  • Often symptoms are mistaken for a heart attack or the flu.
  • If you think someone in your house has been poisoned, get them outside and to a hospital as soon as you can.
  • There is no first aid you can do. The only treatment is pure oxygen supplied by the hospital.
  • Any appliance that burns fuel—water heaters, gas stoves and clothes dryers—could cause carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • Hire someone to inspect your gas appliances every fall, right before the winter heating season.
  • Buy a carbon monoxide detector and place it near your furnace or heater. Make sure the alarm is loud.

Cinematic Vision

Thats awful, I must go and buy one of the detectors, thanks for making us aware.

22-12-2004
front row

Yeah, I had no idea! Those stories are really tragic
How does Carbon Monoxide reach a dangerous level in a house?

V.I.P.

It has something to do with your heating system messing up. You can't see the CM gas or smell it.
Winter is here for a lot of people and they are turning their furnaces on for the first time since last year. I know our furnace is an older one so I'm picking up a detector too.

25-12-2004
front row

Yikes! Where do you get the detectors from?

V.I.P.

We got ours at Target on Friday. It plugs in the wall and registers 0 unless you have a problem. So far so good.

25-12-2004
front row

I didn't know there were any detectors, and yeah it's usually something you hear a lot of during this time of the year.

29-12-2004
I love model_mom!

model_mom - you will be happy to know that I got a cm/natural gas detector from Target on Monday night. It is similar to yours.

V.I.P.

Targets going to love us for the advertising. .....and I am proud of your new purchase.

01-01-2005
V.I.P.

a young couple were i live had just moved into a new house the lady was due to give birth soon and they had a plug in heater as theyd only just moved in and hadnt got everything sorted get and couldnt afford central heating they all died of cm.

01-01-2005
backstage pass

That's so horrible. What an awful way to die! I did a scene in my theater class last year in which I was a girl whose brother had died from cm poisoning, so I really dwelled on the idea for a while. The idea of something like that happening really freaks me out.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
carbonmonoxide, poisoning