carbon-monoxide poisoning - the Fashion Spot
 
How to Join
22-12-2004
  1
V.I.P.
 
model_mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,263
carbon-monoxide poisoning
http://www.carbon-monoxide-poisoning.com/symptoms.html


I just heard on the news where two young boys died of this. The mom had been taking the kids to the doctor for flu like symptoms. He sent them home with standard flu treatment. That night they went to bed and no one woke up till the next afternoon. The dad went to check on the kids and two of them had died during the night. I always knew about this, but I never knew the symptoms were the same as the flu. That's scary. I'm going out today to buy a detector.
I know this is not a health forum,but if someone reads this who has the symptoms it might make all the difference.

  Reply With Quote
22-12-2004
  2
Naturellement pulpeuse
 
PrinceOfCats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The 'other' bit of the south of France
Gender: femme
Posts: 10,169
Poor boys

There was a big health scare about this a while back in England. Most people I know have a little CO detector strip in their kitchen (the strip turns black if there's over a certain concentration of CO). You can buy seperate plug-in electrical ones that work like a smoke-detector too though.

  Reply With Quote
22-12-2004
  3
I love model_mom!
 
Sloan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 3,381
You start hearing many stories like these when it starts getting cold and people use their heat.

I heard a really sad story on Oprah about this guy who used his wife's car for a jump-start for his truck. Both vehicles were in the garage and once the guy got his truck started, he removed the jumper cables, closed the garage door and left for work. He was running late and forgot to turn his wife's car off. His wife usually called him at work around 3:00pm every day and when he hadn't heard from her and couldn't get in contact with her, he left to go home. When he got home, he pulled in the garage, but didn't know what had happened at first (his wife's car was off now because it had ran out of gas). When he walked up the stairs calling his wife's name, he heard nothing. As he walked down the hall, he noticed that both of his dogs were laying in front of his bedroom door - he thought that they were asleep, but they were dead and so was his wife. She had been sleeping when he left for work and died in her sleep after the carbon monoxide fumes from her running car filled the house. They said that it probably took about two hours after her husband left for the fumes to be fatal.

It was such a sad story...I felt so sorry for the man because it was a total accident and now his wife and pets are gone. He sobbed as he told the sad story.

__________________
“We sometimes encounter people, even perfect strangers, who begin to interest us at first sight, somehow suddenly, all at once, before a word has been spoken.”
  Reply With Quote
22-12-2004
  4
I love model_mom!
 
Sloan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 3,381
Something I found.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is a silent killer that can be found in homes everywhere, especially in the colder months. Dr. Winnie King has advice to protect your family from this deadly gas. POISON PROTECTION
  • Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, nausea, dizziness or drowsiness. Also watch for rapid heartbeat, loss of hearing or blurry vision.
  • Often symptoms are mistaken for a heart attack or the flu.
  • If you think someone in your house has been poisoned, get them outside and to a hospital as soon as you can.
  • There is no first aid you can do. The only treatment is pure oxygen supplied by the hospital.
  • Any appliance that burns fuel—water heaters, gas stoves and clothes dryers—could cause carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • Hire someone to inspect your gas appliances every fall, right before the winter heating season.
  • Buy a carbon monoxide detector and place it near your furnace or heater. Make sure the alarm is loud.

__________________
“We sometimes encounter people, even perfect strangers, who begin to interest us at first sight, somehow suddenly, all at once, before a word has been spoken.”
  Reply With Quote
22-12-2004
  5
Cinematic Vision
 
boho_babe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Yorkshire, England
Gender: femme
Posts: 10,624
Thats awful, I must go and buy one of the detectors, thanks for making us aware.

  Reply With Quote
 
22-12-2004
  6
front row
 
clueless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Australia
Gender: femme
Posts: 381
Yeah, I had no idea! Those stories are really tragic
How does Carbon Monoxide reach a dangerous level in a house?

__________________
Life's not a spectator sport. If watching's all you're going to do, then you're going to watch your life go by without you.
  Reply With Quote
23-12-2004
  7
V.I.P.
 
model_mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,263
It has something to do with your heating system messing up. You can't see the CM gas or smell it.
Winter is here for a lot of people and they are turning their furnaces on for the first time since last year. I know our furnace is an older one so I'm picking up a detector too.

  Reply With Quote
25-12-2004
  8
front row
 
clueless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Australia
Gender: femme
Posts: 381
Yikes! Where do you get the detectors from?

__________________
Life's not a spectator sport. If watching's all you're going to do, then you're going to watch your life go by without you.
  Reply With Quote
25-12-2004
  9
V.I.P.
 
model_mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,263
We got ours at Target on Friday. It plugs in the wall and registers 0 unless you have a problem. So far so good.

  Reply With Quote
25-12-2004
  10
front row
 
GroovyDolce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Gender: homme
Posts: 364
I didn't know there were any detectors, and yeah it's usually something you hear a lot of during this time of the year.

  Reply With Quote
29-12-2004
  11
I love model_mom!
 
Sloan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 3,381
model_mom - you will be happy to know that I got a cm/natural gas detector from Target on Monday night. It is similar to yours.

__________________
“We sometimes encounter people, even perfect strangers, who begin to interest us at first sight, somehow suddenly, all at once, before a word has been spoken.”
  Reply With Quote
29-12-2004
  12
V.I.P.
 
model_mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,263
Targets going to love us for the advertising. .....and I am proud of your new purchase.

  Reply With Quote
01-01-2005
  13
V.I.P.
 
snowqueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Gender: femme
Posts: 6,320
a young couple were i live had just moved into a new house the lady was due to give birth soon and they had a plug in heater as theyd only just moved in and hadnt got everything sorted get and couldnt afford central heating they all died of cm.

  Reply With Quote
01-01-2005
  14
backstage pass
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 716
That's so horrible. What an awful way to die! I did a scene in my theater class last year in which I was a girl whose brother had died from cm poisoning, so I really dwelled on the idea for a while. The idea of something like that happening really freaks me out.

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
carbonmonoxide, poisoning
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 PM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2017 All rights reserved.