How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-12-2007
backstage pass

I'm suspecting I might be sensitive to gluten. I discovered it when I tried to eat less carbs and excluded bread, pasta etc for a while - suddenly I was a lot less bloated. So a South Beach-ish diet could work for those who have less severe problems. (Not giving weight loss-adivce here, it just seems to be good for other things as well...)

21-01-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMagAddict View Post
I don't have celiac but Meg is right about Gluten Free Girl...she's fantastic...just the way she lives her life should be inspiration for all...whether you're celiac or not. She also has a new book out.

I have Celiac too. My Sister took me to her restaurant last month and it was simply amazing. She also picked up a copy of her book and it's a great read!

From what I've found you can go to the following grocery stores and ask for a Gluten Free product list from their concierge's desk:

Whole Foods
Trader Joe's

Also, PF Chang's has a dedicated Gluten Free menu (you have to ask for it) so does the Z Tejas chain

http://www.pfchangs.com/
http://www.ztejas.com/

As someone else mentioned, The Gluten Free Forums are a great place to find local gluten free places to buy food and eat. It's a bit unorganized but if you spend the time looking for places local to you, it's worth the time and effort.

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/

Last edited by dolemite; 21-01-2008 at 01:48 PM.
30-01-2008
V.I.P.

Doesn't someone on this forum have a theory that Audrey Hepburn had it?

18-02-2008
backstage pass

this is frustrating...i'm trying to help some people find some cookbooks with recipes that don't use gluten or soy but they all have the same old thing in them...

05-04-2008
scenester

Thank you so much mango tango for starting this thread. Both my sisters and grandmother have celiac, and I've just gone on a celiac diet to see if I might have it as well. It would be quite a trial if I had it, because I am also allergic to peanuts, soy and most beans. I am also lactose intolerant, alot of people with celiac are lactose intolerant anyway. It's amazing how much soy is used in everything, it's in most candybars and it's protien is used in fastfood chains. Annoying.

scenester

www.pamelasproducts.com this is a good company with lots of really tasty gluten and wheat free products. We buy it alot for my sister and I really can't tell it's wheat, milk and glutten free. You've got to taste it to believe it.

tfs star

I bought gluten-free pizza base for the first time.
It was delicious!:p

23-08-2008
windowshopping

I have celiac disease and originally it was a huge pain as I am a TERRIBLE cook and can't bother to motivate myself. However, it's getting better! I've discovered that quinoa pasta runs circles around plain old rice pasta (firmer, doesn't turn to mush etc)...even my boyfriend swears by it.

Glutino products haven't disappointed me yet. Their pancake mix tastes like the flour-full kind.

Kinnickinnick is a great line, I'm not huge on their bagels because they tend to disintegrate, so far I've pretty much stuck with Glutino and a brand that I can only find on Cape Cod

El Peto has all purpose gf flour mixes that are an AWESOME substitute... I use them when baking cookies, cupcakes and such. They come in a box and the things I bake really turn out quite nicely!

As my boyfriend likes to say, the only thing you musn't even BOTHER with is gluten free white bread. Everything else can be worked around.

I could go on for pages about this... especially since no one else I know has celiac so it gets quite boring.

Oh! And if you have a Whole Foods, their bakery line has REALLY YUMMY chocolate chip cookies!

23-08-2008
rising star

I'm gluton intolerant as well as lactose(butter and cheese especially) and soy intolerant. It needless to say, can limit my diet quite a bit, especially when traveling I've found though that I deal alright with couscous, which is sort of odd I guess, and that there are an amazing amount of products out there that use rice instead of wheat. It is awfully frustrating though shopping sometimes and seeing everything in an aisle having wheat in it. Thank goodness for decent organic-centered stores. Right now for breads I use an organic locally produced Spelt bread, and buy something called 'knutty rice cereal' in bulk from a health food store as well as spelt flour for when I want to bake something like cookies or pancakes as a treat now and then. A lot of it means learning how to include more vegetables and fruits into your diet, which I actually should do anyway, and I like doing it, I just hardly ever remember when I go shopping other than Mangos because those are delicious to have now and then. :p

One of the plus sides I think, is that it sort of forces you to learn how to be a bit creative with your meals, because there are so many things out there that have all these things. And it IS yes really frustrating sometimes when having to explain my allergies, it seems very misunderstood, like people really don't have any idea of just how badly it can affect you when allergic to this stuff.

24-08-2008
backstage pass

Your welcome someone90! I was recently told about this book with awesome gluten free desserts. But I haven't bought the book yet so I can't actually guarantee anything. I think it's soy free too, but I'm not sure. It might be just some of the recipes. It's called Gluten-Free & Wheat-Free Gourmet Desserts.

http://www.suretalent-books.com/index.aspx

25-08-2008
front row

I've been gluten free for almost three years, free from soy for about a year and free from grains (for the most part) for size months and I never felt better. My skin is almost clear, weight is down and I have so much more energy. It took a while, but I donít even miss it anymore. I was never tested Celiac because by the time I decided to get tested, I havenít had gluten in two years and my doctor told me it was pointless at this point since I would have eat gluten in order for the test to be accurate.

Gluten gives me very painful gas, bloated belly, acne and psoriasis.

25-08-2008
backstage pass

^^ I know what you mean. My worst symptoms are excessive gas, bloating, and irregular bowel movements. I get constipated and then have diarreah. When I ate gluten this happened at least once a week. It was like a delayed reaction...

On a happier note, I found the most amazing baguette yesterday! It's made by Against the Grain Gourmet (http://www.againstthegraingourmet.com) and tastes so much better than a regular baguette. All of their products (and their facility) are gluten, wheat, soy, rice, peanut, tree-nut, yeast, corn, trans fat, and sugar free. They also are free of preservatives, artificial flavors, and 'you can pronouce and recognize every ingredient we use'. The base ingredients contain tapioca starch, canola oil, and salt. The products do contain dairy. The milk comes from a local dairy and contains no BHT, rBGH, or preservatives. They also 'use shell eggs from humanely treated hens that are never treated with antibiotics or hormones'. I bought mine at Wegmans. Try it!

25-08-2008
front row

^^

Wow! Thanks for the link. I normally get mine from Grindstone Bakery (they have both regular and gluten-free) but I would like something a bit softer once in a while.

I hear you. When I'm exposed, I can hardly button my pants.

25-08-2008
windowshopping

I was diagnosed with celiac disease two years ago. I miss beer, but find gluten-free products just as tasty as the original ones. They are ghastly expensive though, so the $340/month in financial support is very welcome. I wish the bakeries and restaurants here would expand their range of products. When I visited NY last year almost everything was available as gluten/yeast/soy/what-ever-you-wish free, while eating out here can be a hassle.

26-08-2008
backstage pass

baRose, I've never heard of Grindstone. Thanks for sharing b/c it looks good.

ceur, I'm underage so I obviously can't drink beer, but my dad said sake (rice beer) is a great substitute. I don't know where you live (and I'm assuming you live in the U.S.) but restaurants such as P.F. Changs, Outback Steakhouse, Bonefish Grill, Uno Chicago Grill, Carrabba's Italina Grill, Chili's Grill and Bar, and Romano's Macaroni Grill offer gluten-free options (you may have to ask the manager at some of these).

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
celiac, disease, gluten, intolerance