How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-07-2009
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
when you go trader joes, you can ask for them a 4 page list of gluten free products. ive shopped for a friend there.
Thanks! I'm going to do that. I've never been tested for a gluten intolerance, but it runs in my family - my grandmother and aunt both have problems with it. I first started eating a gluten free diet after I read an article by a Naturopathic doctor (his name is Dr. West, I think) and it named all the different reactions that gluten can cause in people. Well, one of those reactions was acne, and at the time, I kept getting these horrible breakouts, and even though I was so careful with my skin and diet, nothing seemed to work. So I tried eating gluten free for a month and my skin cleared up immediately!

There have been times when I went back to eating wheat, I was pregnant and traveling across the country, living as a missionary, so sometimes I would go back to eating wheat just because there were so little options and I was so hungry, but acne problems always arose after that.

14-07-2009
V.I.P.

I'm surprised that there is a thread here on Celiac. I have been diagnosed with Celiac for almost 7 yrs.

14-07-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnamonGirl View Post
There have been times when I went back to eating wheat, I was pregnant and traveling across the country, living as a missionary, so sometimes I would go back to eating wheat just because there were so little options and I was so hungry, but acne problems always arose after that.
Next time you travel take some Lara Bars or Purefit bars. It is not good to cheat just because you can't find local food. I always carry one or two of them in my purse.

29-07-2009
windowshopping

True that. But have you ever been a pregnant missionary? Lol.

01-08-2009
V.I.P.

i don't have celiac but i dont seem to react well to food with gluten. mostly from watching how well i feel after rice or after bread. i agree with the "brain fog". also i can eat a bit of rice and be full but bread doesn't seem to satisfy completely. i seem to do worse on high-fibre like bran and rye as opposed to white or plain whole wheat

i'm trying to wean the bread off gradually but i get sick of rice sometimes. it gets a bit boring and monotonous.

i do very well on just meat and vegetables, my mind is so clear, but sometimes i get hungry quickly. it usually depends on the time of day. and again it gets boring XD... especially if you try to minimise sugar and other processed food too

02-08-2009
backstage pass

I haven't been diagnosed (no insurance, can't go to dr) but after eliminating certain foods and keeping track of what I ate and what symptoms I had, I'm sure I'm gluten intolerant. I'm lactose intolerant already. I had a bout of IBS a few months ago and was surprised to learn that gluten can aggravate it.
It's tough but I feel better. I've had to start making my own breads and bread items. I didn't realize that flour was in so many products that you would assume were ok! I ate some licorice one day thinking it was safe, but flour is the 3rd ingredient. That wasn't pleasant .

Gius, try potatoes if you would like a break from rice. Also, polenta and grits are safe too. I get hungry waaaay more often now that i don't eat flour and find myself eating all day long

Last edited by gius; 08-08-2009 at 03:20 PM. Reason: weight talk
05-08-2009
windowshopping

You end up eating a lot better quality food and way less junk - can't eat cookies and cake. Except when I'm at my grandmother's house. She makes gluten free brownies that are amazing!!!! (You can get the mix at Whole Foods) I can't stop eating them!

Last edited by gius; 08-08-2009 at 03:22 PM. Reason: weight talk
28-01-2010
oh! darling

Can someone tell me more about being gluten intolerant? I have a feeling I could be allergic to gluten. Packages don't label things as "Gluten Free", do they? They do put labels like CONTAINS: WHEAT, MILK AND SOY INGREDIENTS. But they never say gluten ingredients? Can anyone explain this to me? Is wheat gluten?

I bought gluten free pancake mix about a month ago. I get "The Big D" when I eat pancakes or waffles or French Toast. Now, it could be something in pancake mix or eggs, but I used eggs in the gluten free mix and I wasn't sick all day.

V.I.P.

Wheat, Barley, Malt all contain gluten. Most people also include oats because they are usually processed in the same building as wheat. Some products have the label of gluten free, but most of them do not.

30-01-2010
rising star

I'm not strictly allergic to wheat but i don't digest it well at all, which in turn affects my endometriosis symptoms (strange, i know) so i try to stay away from wheat as much as i can. I don't have a problem with oats or rye or other grains, just wheat (although i do occasionally eat some wheat, i DEFINITELY notice the difference when i don't!).

For people in the UK, I recommend the Orgran range - not only are they gluten, wheat, dairy, egg and yeast free, they are also certified organic and completely vegan. Check out their website; http://www.orgran.com - i just had the apple cinnamon pancakes for brunch, made from maize flour - delicious!!!

30-01-2010
fashion elite

I used to be allergic to wheat and I'd get hives every day for a year.It was horrible.I think was a chemical in balance though,because it went away and I have never had problems since.

02-02-2010
windowshopping

Yeah, I've found that if I stay away from wheat for a while and then eat some again, initially it won't bother me. But if I continue to eat it, it will bother me again. I talked to me aunt and she said that its the same with her. So now I just never eat it.

29-03-2010
windowshopping

I've been gluten free for a few months after finding that I have a gluten intolerance. I feel SO much better. No more horrible bloating or stomach cramps. It's been really hard for me to find affordable gluten free products, though. For example, I had a massive pancake craving the other day, but the pancake/waffle mix ranged from $7-9!! It's been wonderful for my stomach, but negative for my weight. I mostly eat Rice or Corn Chex or Cream of Rice cereal (which, incedentally, is the best thing ever). I do occasionally get Gluten Free pretzels, crackers, bread, etc., but that stuff is so damn pricey! Does anyone have any alternatives or suggestions?

windowshopping

^It's probably also worth noting that I don't do well with red meat or cheese, either. It's really, really limited my diet.

scenester

Baldrick;

You might what to try experimenting with some gluten-free recipes on your own. I know it's more expensive to start with buying everything you'll need to make things from scratch, but in the long run it's cheaper (& often tastes better!) then a lot of the "special" items that cost so much. This is what I did when I went vegan because all the extras were just blowing my budget (& I already splurge a lot of food!) Also, you may what to try weaning yourself off of these products to the point that they are a very minimal part of your diet. Fresh fruit, vegetable, greens, and quality fish/meats (if you eat those) are less expensive overall and more filling that a lot of this quick items.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
celiac, disease, gluten, intolerance