How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-11-2007
backstage pass

Celiac Disease / Gluten Intolerance
I think we need a support group for those with Celiac Disease. Does anyone at TFS have Celiac Disease or a gluten intolerance? I haven't been formally diagnosed but one of my parents has CD (unfortunately it's the one I take after more) I have all the same symptoms they did when they were my age and I've cut gluten out of my diet before and feel so much better. So even if I don't have it I plan on going on a mostly gluten-free diet. Anyway, do you have any recipies or tips to share? What about those sensitive to soy? Feel free to post any information etc..

22-11-2007
fashion elite

If you have a whole foods in your area, they have a whole section of different gluten-free products. The whole foods website also has a lot of information on Celiac Disease and has a list of the different gluten-free foods each whole foods store carries.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/spec...ree/index.html

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/specialdiets/

Hope that helps

23-11-2007
backstage pass

Thanks!

23-11-2007
Meg
inspired contemplation

I only recently (like two weeks ago) decided to test out being gluten free just because of excessive tiredness, inability to concentrate, etc. for the most part I believe it's helping but I have had pasta a couple of times to see if when I do have it, it has a bad effect on me. I hope not since I love it. A great place to visit might be the gluten free girl. She has a book out and a blog and loads of recipes. google gluten free girl as I don't have the url off hand but it's a great resource! I've had a look at some gluten free products and they were a bit dry and dusty if you know what I mean. I had some rice fettucine last week (from a local place) and it was alright. For the time being I'm just cooking other things (like risotto tonight for dinner! yum!) instead of trying to find replacements. It's surprising where wheat can turn up though.

Last edited by Meg; 23-11-2007 at 06:59 PM.
23-11-2007
fashion elite

Rice bread is so good!! way better than normal bread in my opinion.

24-11-2007
windowshopping

I've got gluten intolerance! I live in Sweden. There is good alternatives here today for me. Every year there's this.. "convention" thingy where you go and there's all kinds of brands that produces glutenfree food. It was onwe TODAY actually and we bought SOOOO many stuff! many kinds of bread, cookies and other stuff. YUMMY!

24-11-2007
backstage pass

Meg, thanks for telling me about the gluten-free girl! It really stinks that wheat is in everything! (well not everything but everything I like)

21-12-2007
front row

I was just diagnosed with celiac, which was almost a relief (even though it kind of sucks-gluten is so hard to avoid!). It's a relief because I've been so tired, bloated all the time and my body has started retaining water, quite unattractively.

Tomorrow will be my first fully gluten-free day! Mango, I'm sensitive to soy as well; it gives me really bad headaches and makes me dizzy. I'm thinking about getting some cookbooks with gluten-free recipes, does anyone have any recommendations?

22-12-2007
The future is stupid

I don't have celiac but Meg is right about Gluten Free Girl...she's fantastic...just the way she lives her life should be inspiration for all...whether you're celiac or not. She also has a new book out.

22-12-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Mango, I'm sensitive to soy as well
i'm actually not sensitive to soy. thank goodness! actually, i don't even know if i have CD but i feel better not eating gluten (and my dad has it so go figure ) i'm so sorry you are though. i'll try to help you find some cookbooks that don't use soy

22-12-2007
front row

Wow, thank you! I also have leaky gut syndrome as a result of CD, so my body is basically acting like it is allergic to food right now, which is hard because I also have a CD-induced insatiable appetite! So I'm going to try and eat very plainly for a while - no processed foods, only simple, healthy stuff.

www.glutenfreeforum.com is one of the best sites I've been to so far, everyone there is so helpful and it's nice to talk to people who are in the same boat!

angeleyes, I'm so jealous! The convention sounds like fun. I'm going to add my voice to the chorus that's singing Gluten-free Girl's praises; I've just read some of her blog and she's truly inspiring

23-12-2007
fashion insider

I have a few friends who are gluten intolerant..I feel so bad for them because the idea of it is still ridiculed by many circles, and so people just aren't careful about whether there's gluten in their food. It can send them to hospital and it just pisses me off that people think it's a joke to see how they'll react to gluten, if they're faking it etc...ugh.

23-12-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
people think it's a joke
wow. i've never met people like that but i kind of know what you mean. for example, sometimes people think it's no big deal if it's just 1 piece of something. or they think it's snobby (of course these are the same people who will only buy ice cream from a certain brand etc...)

25-12-2007
fashion insider

Well most people I've met think that it just makes you a bit gassy or something, which can be true for some people but the damage it does to the innards...*shudder*

26-12-2007
front row

my mum is gluten intolerant so its a gluten free house..
shes an AWSOME cook/baker & makes heaps of cakes out of nuts.
other grains are millet, quinoa & buckwheat..u can make yummy buckwheat pancakes/crepe.
u can buy gluten free pasta in aussie supermarkets too.
for brekkie, u can make a bowl of buckwheat groats & top it with tons of fruit et voila..a vitamin/mineral bomb thats low in calories

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
celiac, disease, gluten, intolerance