How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-08-2006
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu_miu
I tried a bit on one nail today...it's weird. I kind of love it, in fact I know I love it. But is it me?! Can I get away with it....hm. Seems to me I already know I want to buy it, I guess I just want to know if everyone finds it wearable...as in, is it more than just trendy?
I've been wearing black polish on my toes (sometimes fingers) for over 5 years now. I was always getting complements on it. In fact, the night I met my (now) husband, he complemented my black polish (no, I'm not "goth"). I see the Black Satin polish an as extension of my black polish collection, rather than a trendy buy.

I finally got it put on my toes, and I love it! Has anyone else noticed it takes a lot of coats to get coverage? It seems to go on very light. The black polish (by Jessica) I was using before covered much better with one coat.

~Madeleine Albright

29-08-2006
leave me with your Borneo

in case anyone's interested, i found this little swatch over at makeupalley:

from left to right - these polishes:
OPI Black Onyx
Chanel Black Satin
OPI Black Satin
Covergirl Midnight Magic

i haven't been able to find the Black Satin, but i picked up some of the Midnight Magic today.... it is a beautiful polish but more blue-toned. the shimmer particles seem just a little larger than those in the Black Satin.

and by the way, i've heard that Black Satin is only limited edition in the US....

31-08-2006
front row

I think the chanel black satin is more beautiful, the first one is boring, and the other ones have to much glitter.

31-08-2006
front row

I love it!! Seriously, I've been waiting a long time for black polish to be in. It was only a matter of time...

03-09-2006
little soul

Well, I bought it and I love it. There doesn't seem to be a big fuss about this particular polish in the UK, it just sits on the counter like all the others. I hope it looks good on my nails, but I just like it because it's a bit different, and now you can wear it without it being 'goth'.
Looking at the other black polishes that are available, I think Black Satin is a really great black. It's deep without being stark (my hands are very pale, so I was worried about that!) and a topcoat of clear polish brings it to a really nice shine. It's stayed on really well too...a ton better than other polishes I've been using (Dior!!!).

Ok, well that's my rave! Does anyone know if it is limited edition in Europe or just US? I might have to stock up if it isn't going to be around forever!

07-09-2006
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

I've noticed a few celebs lately - Jessica Simpson and J.Lo, notably... wearing black polish. I wonder if it's Chanel? Either way, I love the look... may try it myself... thanks to cosmogirl5 for pointing the shade out to me.

07-09-2006
backstage pass

The Rimmel version is nice as well. It looks best with short, filed nails...i think

front row

i got all excited about chanel polish years ago when vamp came out since i've always been into dark nail colors ( until this summer when i did ultra bright orange and purple ), bought it and was soo disappointed, not only was the color not as dark as i expected but it chipped quicker than any polish i've ever used, so i bought brucci nail polish in i believe its called black velvet and one in black cherry and layered them to get the color i really wanted and it was perfect, long lasting and only cost $2, now that black is the craze i wore just the black velvet and everyone has been like "wow that chanel black satin looks great", so anyways i dont see spending that much $$$ on this shade when every drag queen friendly cheap makeup line has had black polish for years, i do see the slight difference in those makeupalley pics but that soft shimmer can be acheived with the proper top coat for $1, i say this and i buy designer makeup from chanel, dior, lancome, yves saint laurent, etc., but never again will i buy designer nail polish

Last edited by lalablossoms; 07-09-2006 at 10:10 PM.
07-09-2006
front row

I finally got a bottle of Chanel black satin from ebay but it's not the limited edition one . I tried the LE one at the Chanel store and I how the shimmer softens the black just a tad. And I like how the shimmer is real subtle. They were completely sold out obviously so I put my name on a waiting list... can you believe it? For nail polish!

If you gals are scoping out the limited edition (w/ shimmer) on ebay, be careful... sellers are peddling the regular black satin (no shimmer) that is sold in europe for a ridiculous amount of money. I've already fallen prey. Not that I don't like this one but the $$ I paid for what I thought I was getting (the LE one).... ouch.

Last edited by designme; 07-09-2006 at 11:15 PM.
08-09-2006
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageamour
i LOVE black nail polish. i like how it's not gothic anymore, but, trendy. it looks great on everyone
love how black nails lost their gothic dimension
but i dont think it looks great on everyone
on the contrary i'd say its not for everyone

havent tried it yet (faithfull to very dark wine.brown shades) but i plan to give it a try when the weather gets cooler

thanks for the feedback

08-09-2006
Been things & seen places

I love black nails...where did you get yours, Hip Kitten?
I want some- I love Chanel varnish

Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchide
I love black nails...where did you get yours, Hip Kitten?
I want some- I love Chanel varnish
I was lucky enough to score it at a local department store

~Madeleine Albright
08-09-2006
V.I.P.

I'm wearing Lumene's blk nail polish on my toes.. it stays put well and is easily applied too..
I'd love to try the Chanel but they sadly don't have it here.

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by designme
I finally got a bottle of Chanel black satin from ebay but it's not the limited edition one . I tried the LE one at the Chanel store and I how the shimmer softens the black just a tad. And I like how the shimmer is real subtle. They were completely sold out obviously so I put my name on a waiting list... can you believe it? For nail polish!

If you gals are scoping out the limited edition (w/ shimmer) on ebay, be careful... sellers are peddling the regular black satin (no shimmer) that is sold in europe for a ridiculous amount of money. I've already fallen prey. Not that I don't like this one but the $$ I paid for what I thought I was getting (the LE one).... ouch.
Oh I didn't know there are two kinds of Black Satins. And they both have the same name, some more.

The one I have is the non-shimmer one which is the non-Limited Edition one. Bummer. The shimmery one looks so much nicer.

Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
but i dont think it looks great on everyone
on the contrary i'd say its not for everyone
I'm curious, Lena... who you do believe can't wear it? Don't want to fall victim to it if I shouldn't be wearing it

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
black, chanel, nail, polish, satin