How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-09-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
I'm curious, Lena... who you do believe can't wear it? Don't want to fall victim to it if I shouldn't be wearing it
I was wondering the same thing. My skin is rather pale ... I'm not sure if I can get away with it.

Either way, it is a beautiful colour.

11-09-2006
windowshopping

I agree with Lena that it can't be worn by everyone. First of all, I think it actually looks fine with paler skin. Of course, this probably has to do with the undertones of the skin. The essie mani/pedi in black I got last week definitely looked better on my skin (rosy, pale/medium) than on my sister's (more olive). She decided to go for something that was darkest, darkest burgandy. It just looked better on her skin. I have a former collegue who is african-american who got a black mani/pedi and it looks fantastic on her! So, yeah, as with any color, skin undertone and polish shade rather than skin darkness is probably the key.

More than skin tone, though, I think pulling off black polish has to do with style. If you dress like a 1990s high school goth (short hair that's big on top with manic-panic high light over black, polyesther black pants and an Emily the Strange t-shirt), the fact that you're wearing black nail polish isn't going to make you any more fashionable than you were last season. In fact, the girlier and less goth your look is, the better.

I do think, though, that just about anyone is has a current look (most tfs readers, I would think) can probbly pull of some shade of black or almost black nails.

11-09-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanarama
a 1990s high school goth (short hair that's big on top with manic-panic high light over black, polyesther black pants and an Emily the Strange t-shirt)
*cringes* I've actually seen adultsdress that way ... in this decade

Quote:
First of all, I think it actually looks fine with paler skin. Of course, this probably has to do with the undertones of the skin. The essie mani/pedi in black I got last week definitely looked better on my skin (rosy, pale/medium) than on my sister's (more olive).
But moving on, that's excellent news for me! Thank you for the help doll *gives karma*

11-09-2006
trendsetter

wearing OPI black onyx...a friend of mine was laughing cause i used to make fun of her when it was 'gothic to wear it :p

11-09-2006
fashion insider

i have been wearing black nail polish for awhile now, and since i'm sick of it, i've checked out dark chocolate browns and extremely dark navy blues. both achieve the effect of having very dark nails, but don't bore me like black, deep burgundy or purple (which are all nice, but i've worn to death).

windowshopping

dark chocolate and navy sound nice. What brands/colors do you use? I was checking out some blues the other day and none were really dark dark.

Also, does anyone have any tips for painting your own nails? Mine are really short (and stubby), but they look good when I get a manicure. I can't seem to get it looking nice and neat myself, especially with dark colors. In the past, when I've done it at home, I just do a clear or a slightly shimmery color. They're a lot more forgiving.

12-09-2006
front row

try black as your first coat and apply blue over it, i layer with black to make black cherry colors deeper so i would think it would work with blue, to do your own manicure paint three stripes down the nail starting in the center and try not to paint close to the edge better have a lil nail showing ( not alot but a lil ) than polish gooped at the corners, you just have to practice i used to be horrible but its great now and i do really dark or really bright colors so i had to get good, oh yes and not too much polish on the brush dip once for each nail and wipe one side on the edge paint with the other

Quote:
dark chocolate and navy sound nice. What brands/colors do you use? I was checking out some blues the other day and none were really dark dark.

Also, does anyone have any tips for painting your own nails? Mine are really short (and stubby), but they look good when I get a manicure. I can't seem to get it looking nice and neat myself, especially with dark colors. In the past, when I've done it at home, I just do a clear or a slightly shimmery color. They're a lot more forgiving.

12-09-2006
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Quote:
YES, I've browsed just a few of your basic retail chain stores for a dark chocolate/brown, and have come up with nothing. And the only dark, dark blue I found was a Midnight Blue color by Cover Girl. Those colors are nearly impossible to find. And the only cheaper-brand black I could find was by Wet 'n Wild for $0.93. So I said what the heck, and if anything, it'd be a trial run of black on my nails. I love it! Though, I'm still in search of a dark brown... it's such a change for me, being that I normally only wear clear (or no) nailpolish on my finger nails. :Heart:

13-09-2006
fashion insider

for dark chocolate, i use mac's molasses, and sometimes a blue (dark, but not crazy dark) called moody blue, which i layer with black (essie's or wet n' wild's). i put the black on first and then the moody blue as a top coat of sorts because it's sort of shimmery (but not in an annoying way). i have a very dark blue from wet 'n wild, but i think the name is rubbed off...i know i bought it at target.

windowshopping

thanks for the tips, lala and siren.
Right now i have wet-n-wild black with something I bought from a manicurist at a spa. It just has a handwritten lable that says "Black Orchid" on it. It's really a dark, dark super matte plum, but layered with the black it looks like a brown-black. Actually it looks like black, but a more flattering shade than just the wet and wild alone. When I hold it next to a black, it looks brown-black. I put a shiny top coat for an almost patent leather sheen. Nice!

13-09-2006
windowshopping

If this trend lasts, I think I'm going to have my wedding party get black manis and pedis!

19-09-2006
backstage pass

so only US got the shimmer version? what about canada?

20-09-2006
little soul

I'm in London, and I thought Black Satin was limited edition...I didn't realise there were two kinds!

20-09-2006
backstage pass

well apparently so, the ones made in France are just plain black and the ones made in USA have a shimmer.

20-09-2006
rising star

I'm also wearing OPI's Lincoln Park After Dark and it's just fabulous. I like the fact that it is almost black but ever so slightly plum so it isn't so harsh.

I'm an old school goth from back in the day so it is nostalgic for me to be able to break out this shade and wear it again, especially with chicer and more mainstream clothing. I love the dichotomy!

The only downside to black or any darker polish in my opinion is that it really does look like hell when it starts to chip. I think it's more high maintenance than a lot of colors.

Oh, and let me tell you, I used to be all about chanel and dior polishes, a sucker for the pretty bottles and shades but honestly, I think I'm a total OPI convert now. It is half the price with less chipping and less drippy mess during application.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
black, chanel, nail, polish, satin