How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-01-2012
rising star

April
The color is amazing!

03-01-2012
I don't know

Love April, looks like a color that works year round

Thanks for posting tigerrouge

03-01-2012
backstage pass

I just got the Rouge Allure Velvet #37 L'Exuberante lipstick. It's a really beautiful bold pink, I thought it would be perfect for summer. I read some reviews that said it was drying but that wasn't the case for me at all. However, I always apply balm before lipstick so that may make a difference.

I also got some nail color in Black Pearl. It's a beautiful classic grey that in the light has a slight metallic bluish hue.

It was my first Chanel makeup purchase and overall I'm very pleased!

V.I.P.

i love you tigerouge for being so cynical everywhere else, but yet posting so enthusiastically about makeup

03-01-2012
don't look down

Ha! Chanel make-up must be my kryptonite - throw in a few YSL items and I might even admit to feeling happy...

An eyeshadow to complement the June nail varnish, if you're into orange, and two Rouge Coco Shines (temptalia.com):

Quote:
Chanel Tigerlily Ombre Essentielle / Soft Touch Eyeshadow ($28.50 for 0.07 oz.) is described as a “golden orange.” It’s a warm tangerine orange with a soft golden orange shimmer set in a low-sheen finish. It reminded me a lot of MAC Juiced, which is a little dirtier–not quite as clean of a color as Tigerlily. MAC Straw Harvest is also similar but lighter.

The color payoff is good, delivering a healthy amount of color without having to pack it on, and the texture is soft, smooth, and even. Though I’m not always in love with Chanel’s eyeshadow quads, I’ve had really good luck with their individual eyeshadow formula. They tend to have that silky-smooth feel that just adheres to the lid without work; it’s like they just melt against the skin for a smooth appearance that’s about as natural as orange skin is ever going to look. The shimmer is faint but noticeable; it enhances but doesn’t overwhelm, so if you find frosty finishes tend to accentuate lid texture, this is a nice way to get some of the reflective qualities of a frostier finish without that problem.

FINAL THOUGHTS
This type of orange is very on-trend for 2012, and the balance between softness and vibrancy is done well with Tigerlily. It has enough brightness not to look burnt, but it's not so bright that it reads neon.

Quote:
For spring, there are two new Chanel Rouge Coco Shines ($32.00 for 0.10 oz.); they include: Candeur (pastel pink) and Flirt (soft coral). Chanel lists both of these as joining the permanent range.
  • Candeur is a pale neutral pink with almost opaque color coverage. It’s a touch lighter compared to Guerlain Rose Innocent.
  • Flirt looks like a slightly pinked coral in the tube, but when I applied it to my lips, it took on a much pinker appearance. I suspect that this shade will lean more or less coral depending on how much pink is in your natural lip color. This shade had more semi-opaque color coverage with some translucency so it doesn’t read heavy or opaque at all. It’s like a much lighter version of theBalm Strawberry. MAC Flamingo is slightly warmer, less pink. MAC Blossom Culture is slightly more opaque. MAC Ever Hip is less pink and more opaque.
I’ve reviewed the formula in the past, and while it feels lovely on lips initially, I’ve found the formula to be just above average but not really worth the price tag. The wear time is under two hours (I normally average four), which is definitely a bummer. For me, what is most disappointing is the lack of hydration. The formula is supposed to be moisturizing, and indeed, it feels like it will be, because it glides on and feels lightweight and more like a lip balm than a lipstick.

The formula isn’t drying, but it doesn’t add moisture for the short period of time it’s on your lips. I feel the need to add some sort of balm after these are up or else reapply. Because of the really creamy, glide-on consistency, it is also easy to overapply these. The color is intended to be soft and translucent, though these seem more pigmented than other Rouge Coco Shines I’ve tried. There are readers who definitely enjoy these, so they may be worth checking out if the color really grabs you. I haven’t had a great experience with them, though, and I think Chanel can and has done some really amazing lip products in the past–these just don’t hit the mark for me.

rising star

I am too excited about the summer collection. Attraction and Delight have my name on them.

backstage pass

I love the idea of the shines, I just wish they would last longer on the lips. It's the only thing stopping me from buying one.

I think I might stop by the counter today and get the waterproof liner, I've read a lot of good reviews. Any of you guys use it?

V.I.P.

can anyone reccomend a chanel foundation that doesnt look patchy after a while? and which lipstick is monika wearing in the spring 2012 video commercial?

backstage pass

I think I'll get 'June' nail varnish and the 'Flirt' lipstick from the spring collection, they're so pretty!

don't look down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarlettLover View Post
I love the idea of the shines, I just wish they would last longer on the lips. It's the only thing stopping me from buying one.
I was hoping that the Glossimers from this collection would provide a good alternative to the shines in this collection, but it seems they're not the most impressive we've ever seen (temptalia.com):

Quote:
Chanel Spring 2012 Glossimers ($29.50 for oz.) include three new and permanent (according to the press release) shades: Bonbon (soft pink), Petillant (golden beige), and Bagatelle (pink).
  • Bonbon is a sheer gold-shimmered pale pink. There’s no real color to it; on my lips, it provides a semi-opaque covering of shimmer. It’s similar to NARS Super Orgasm (a touch darker), Chanel Aurore (slightly more of a beige base), and Benefit I’m With the Band (more golden sheen).
  • Petillant is sheer and virtually colorless with white and pale pink shimmer. This is really, really subtle; unless you’re a Glossimer devotee, this one is easily skipped, because it doesn’t have as much shimmer as most Glossimers do either. It may sound harsh, but these kinds of glosses are numerous, and while having a couple in your back pocket is great for layering, it’s difficult to see nuances between them, so most of us don’t need too many of them.
  • Bagatelle is a light-medium, blue-based pink with gold flecks of sparkle. This one was the most pigmented with semi-opaque color coverage. The gold shimmer in this is larger than the others, so it actually felt a little gritty on the lips, compared to the smooth feel of most Glossimers. It reminded me a bit of MAC Splashing, which isn’t blue-based, and Givenchy Glamorous Fuchsia, which doesn’t have the gold sparkle.
Chanel Glossimers have certainly earned their accolades because of their comfortable, non-sticky texture and ultra-shimmering appearance. In the sunlight, these really sparkle and look like shimmering water with the amount of dazzle and shine they give off. I didn’t fully appreciate them until I saw how they looked outdoors. Indoors, they’re a little less spectacular, but they’re generally a really pretty gloss that tends to have sheer to semi-sheer color coverage but lots of shimmer. I usually find these to have a really smooth shimmer, but Bagatelle felt gritty from the get-go. I could just feel the shimmer on my lips. Bonbon wore for about two and a half hours, while Petillant disappeared within an hour and a half. Bagatelle wore the best, as it wore for four hours.

FINAL THOUGHTS
The grittier feel of the shimmer in Bagatelle definitely makes it underwhelming, while the lack of shimmer and color of Petillant seems to take sheer almost too far. Bonbon was my favorite of the three, because it looked and applied the best. I still really like the Glossimer formula, but these three may not be the best examples of them!

don't look down

These remind me that I haven't had the pleasure of buying a proper 'twist the tube and apply like a lady' lipstick for some time... (same source):

Quote:
Chanel Charme Rouge Coco Lipstick ($32.00 for 0.12 oz.) is described as a “pink.” Sometimes brands get too creative with their color descriptions, but Chanel could afford to be less glib! It’s a soft, medium pink with very subtle blue undertones and a silver micro-shimmer that gives it a lightly frosted finish. The color payoff is semi-opaque–it gives decent color but there is some translucency in the color so your natural lip color will peek through. MAC Behave Yourself is similar but applies less evenly and perhaps a touch lighter. Dolce & Gabbana Fascination is similar in hue but several shades darker. MAC Speed Dial is a bit darker and has a golden sheen.

The Rouge Coco formula is supposed to be hydrating and have wearable shades with “full-coverage finishes.” Charme is not quite opaque, but it felt more moisturizing than many past Rouge Cocos have felt for me. When I tested this shade, it wore for around three and a half hours before it began to noticeably fade away, but my lips felt just shy of normal in terms of hydration.

FINAL THOUGHTS
The color is extremely wearable while still having some brightness. It should work well for not only spring but for summer--you could even layer a subtle coral gloss on top to make a really summery lip.

Quote:
Chanel Superstition Rouge Coco Lipstick ($32.00 for 0.12 oz.) is described as “golden beige.” It’s a semi-sheer warm, light beige with a pale golden shimmer-sheen. It has color payoff, but it’s more of a translucent color, so it allows more of the natural lip color to peek through while giving the illusion of more coverage. On my lips, it helps to even out my natural lip color and provide a subtle shimmer, but overall, it’s more my-lips-but-better in regards to color. MAC Mellow Mood has a more golden shimmer and a pinker base color. MAC Freckletone looks similar swatched but has more color payoff, so it gives a very peachy color instead. Similarly, MAC To the Future has a similar color as the swatch but opaque color coverage and a creamy finish, rather than a shimmery one.

It’s semi-sheer to semi-opaque, but it’s translucent enough that it’s definitely not an opaque lipstick. It seems to be one of the sheerer Rouge Cocos I’ve tried (more like a Rouge Coco Shine). It’s just shy of being a heavier frost. The wear time on Superstition was disappointing–only a mere hour and a half when I typically average four hours across a regular lipstick–and it wasn’t moisturizing (which is a selling feature of these lipsticks), unfortunately. They’re non-drying, at least, so I didn’t find my lips were chapped after reapplying this two or three times (I thought perhaps the short wear was a fluke!).

FINAL THOUGHTS
These are supposed to have medium to full color coverage, so the sheerer color payoff combined with the poor wear time really brought down the overall rating for this product.

front row

Bummed, I finally tested out Vitalumiere in #10 and it's way too beige. Vitalumiere Aqua irritated my skin. Oh well...

05-01-2012
I don't know

^I bought Vitalumiere around a month ago and I wasn't all that happy with the shade either. I should have tried it on before purchasing it but I was in a hurry and just went with the shade I always wear in Mat Lumiere..

But it's not that bad, it's just not ideal

Lucy - what kind of moisturizer are you using? And do you have dry skin? Because in my experience, foundation sets bets when you're well moisturized but not with a thick cream, but a lighter one.

If you have good skin, I would recommend the Aqualumiere foundation as it's lighter and doesn't come on too thick

05-01-2012
front row

Yea I'm glad I tried it on in the store rather than buying it right away. I've worn #10 in the Teint Innocence compact in the past, it's a bit more on the neutral side. My skin needs a bit more moisture now, though. I went back to the shops and found Laura Mercier's Silk Creme, it says it's oil-free but it feels very comfortable on the skin, not at all drying.

Last edited by moirla; 05-01-2012 at 10:35 PM.
08-01-2012
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarlettLover View Post

I think I might stop by the counter today and get the waterproof liner, I've read a lot of good reviews. Any of you guys use it?
ScarlettLover, I have #70 Black Shimmer and I love it! I'm on my second one in 2 years..I guess one per year is enough haha.
I agree with you on the shines, I wish that they would last longer..

Beauty Blog: Lacroixthebeautyblog.blogspot.com

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, chanel, good, makeup