How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-04-2012
backstage pass

I really like 'Holiday' and 'Delight'. So pretty

25-04-2012
V.I.P.

thank you tigerrouge, chanel island is looking like a "MUST". i have been looking for a seashell pink for ages.

i'm wearing chanel june nail polish right now. its been a bit of disappointment (uneven streaky appearance) it could be that creme colours are not for me however.

front row

Tumulte was such a disappointment. I was expecting light pink, instead I got a blush so incredibly pigmented which makes me look older.

04-05-2012
don't look down

A closer look at Delight from the Summer 2012 collection (temptalia.com):

Quote:
Chanel Delight Le Vernis ($26.00 for 0.40 fl. oz.) is a pale golden bronze with lighter champagne, copper, and bronze shimmer. It has a strong metallic, almost foil-like, finish. Urban Decay Superfreak is more pewter-like; less bronzy, more silver-gold. OCC Cruising is a golden yellow. MAC Soiree is the closest I could think of, but it has a rosiness to it. China Glaze Jingle Bells is much yellower.

This actually could be a one-coater, and I liked the way it looked better at once coat–it almost gets a little too thick-looking (but it doesn’t seem thick in terms of actual, physical thickness). It was totally opaque in one coat, but I did swatches with two coats. The drying time on this is very quick, regardless of whether you’re doing one or two coats. The texture was really fantastic on Delight; it wasn’t too thick or too thin, and it flowed beautifully across the nail during application with no bubbling, streaking, or pooling along the edges. Not many polishes chip on me, so I’ve had no problems with Chanel and wear–I get noticeable tip wear after a week of wear but no chipping.

This shade will be flattering against warmer skin tones and is very appropriate for summer. It reminds me of sandy beaches, partially because of the color but also with the finish--though not gritty (it dries smooth), you can kind of see grains of sand.

don't look down

I think I'd love Holiday a lot more if I didn't already have some orange shades from last summer, never mind new releases for this year (temptalia.com):

Quote:
Chanel Holiday Le Vernis ($26.00 for 0.40 fl. oz.) is a bright medium-dark orange with a cream finish. MAC Morange is similar, a touch lighter. NARS Lal Mirchi is redder. MAC Kid Orange is redder. MAC Oriele is redder but muted. Essie Braziliant is darker, more red-toned. It has some red undertones, but it’s more orange than red–definitely not coral. There’s enough vibrancy for it to pop, but I wouldn’t describe it as a neon–there’s too much depth for that.

There’s definitely no shortage of orange nail polish options this summer! It seems like every major brand has launched at least one. This shade seems a bit more dupeable, though it can be a little difficult to find an orange that is mostly orange, rather than orange-red, that isn’t neon. It was opaque in two coats, and it applied evenly and fluidly–it was the easiest to apply out of the three in the summer collection. The consistency was just a tiny bit thin. There was the slightest jelly-like quality to it, though it’s really a cream. I typically get a week of wear out of Chanel’s formula, but I don’t have issues with nail polishes chipping on me aside from some matte formulas (with no base/top coat).

don't look down

Every year, I look upon these bronzer compacts with longing, because being so pale and cool-skinned, I can hardly ever find shades that aren't (a) too orange, or (b) seem like dirt (same source):

Quote:
Chanel Sable Beige Soleil Tan de Chanel ($60.00 for 0.53 oz.) includes seven stripes of shades that range from warm tans and browns to warm pinks to warm golds and beiges. Chanel recommends using different combinations of the seven hues to highlight and sculpt the face. Two of the shades looked exactly the same on me (the second and fourth shades), so swatches shown include six individual swatches and then one all-over, blended together swatch.

The individual stripes include an orange-tan with a golden shimmer, sheer beige with champagne shimmer, dirty orange-brown with a frosted copper shimmer, pale beige with a satin finish, white gold with a golden shimmer, and a muted tan-orange with a gold sheen. Together, it creates a light-medium warm, golden tan with a soft gold sheen. Guerlain Terracotta is a bit darker, less golden. Urban Decay Gilded is more orange. Illamasqua Thalia is darker and more shimmery. MAC Golden is the closest, though it has less of a golden sheen.

It’s a really soft color, and it’s not too orange or brown–there are definitely a lot of beige tones–so it should flatter a lot of skin tones that are light to medium in color. As a highlighter, this could work on warmer, deeper complexions, though, just less so as a bronzer. Because it’s a softer hue, it’s easy to apply and hard to overdo. It warms up my cheeks and adds natural color without making me look burnt or overdone. The sheen of the finish is subtle and not at all frosted or shimmery, so it doesn’t emphasize pores or imperfections in the skin’s texture. It wears about seven hours on me with a little fading around the top edges.

The texture is incredibly soft and finely-milled, feels like silk against the skin, and blends effortlessly as a result. If you want to use it as more of a highlighter, stick with the lower half of the compact (and avoid the very bottom shade), and if you want a deeper, more bronzed color, stick to the upper half of the palette, focusing on the first three shades.

don't look down

The curse of the no-colour Glossimer again - and one that delivers a little more (same source):

Quote:
Chanel Sirocco Glossimer ($29.50 for 0.19 oz.) might look like a soft peachy gold in the tube, but it’s virtually colorless on the lips. The base is mostly clear on my lips with a fine dusting of pale peach shimmer–it’s very subtle, barely-there shimmer. From afar, it looks like I’m wearing clear gloss or some shiny lip balm. The dupes are endless! Any gloss that has a tiny bit of shimmer but is otherwise clear will do.

Chanel’s signature gloss formula is supposed to deliver shimmer and “high-shine glow” with shades that range from “sheer and natural” to “sparkling and rich.” The formula is supposed to be both comfortable and long-wearing. Though it can be hard to make the distinction, there is a line between sheer and clear. If you want a comfortable, hydrating product that doesn’t have any color, I think you ought to opt for lip balm, which will do a better job at moisturizing your lips. This is just too close to clear to be “sheer and natural” to me. Maybe if there was more shimmer or even the slightest tint to the base color it would reach a level of sheer that makes sense.

I totally get the appeal of Glossimers; they can be really dazzling and sparkling, nearly breathtaking in the sunlight, but this lacks the shimmer that gives that effect. I’m a fan of the formula, generally speaking, but some of the more recent releases have been disappointing. Sirocco lasts about two and a half hours before the shine is gone, and since there really isn’t any color, the rest of it appears to be gone, too. The texture is thin without being too thin, comfortable, non-sticky, and keeps lips feeling good while its on.

Quote:
Chanel Calypso Glossimer ($29.50 for 0.19 oz.) is a medium-dark burnt tangerine with soft gold shimmer. MAC Caqui is a bit redder and much more opaque, so it also looks more intense. MAC Knockout is darker, more vibrant, and redder. MAC Dare to Wear is more shimmery and a little lighter. Lancome Cherrywood Luxe is redder.

Calypso is semi-opaque and applies fairly evenly without settling into lip lines too noticeably. It has a healthy glossy shine, and it wears for four and a half hours. Chanel’s signature gloss formula is supposed to deliver shimmer and “high-shine glow” with shades that range from “sheer and natural” to “sparkling and rich.” The formula is supposed to be both comfortable and long-wearing. The formula is moderately hydrating, and the texture isn’t too thin or too thick, lightweight, and comfortable to wear.

don't look down

Seems you could get a better product with better performance for half the price... (same source):

Quote:
Chanel Peche Cuivre Le Crayon Khol ($28.00 for 0.05 oz.) is a golden peach with a subtly metallic finish. It’s actually very similar to Giorgio Armani’s #5 Copper from the holidays–it might be the faintest bit darker. This shade is one that is best as a brightener–it’s the kind of hue that works really well on the water line to wake up peepers, but the texture of this doesn’t lend itself to comfortable application on the water line.

The formula is supposed to have “rich, intense” color with a “semi-matte finish.” It is also listed as safe for usage on the rim of the eye. Each of Chanel’s pencil eyeliners comes with its own sharpener. The color applies mostly opaque in one pass, but it requires a lot of pressure to get it to apply evenly in one go. I’m not keen on the hard, dry texture of the pencil; it feels rough against the lash line. It will pull and tug noticeably, and I ended up having to go back and forth several times rather than exert more pressure as it wasn’t comfortable to use otherwise.

This color may be most striking on deeper skin tones, because on my complexion, it just gets lost. It only wore for six hours before looking faded; this combined with the harder texture makes this a disappointment. Chanel’s Le Crayon Yeux is a much better formula, so I was really shocked at how different (in a bad way) this formula was. Eyeliners really need to be soft, provide good color payoff, and wear long and well. I think there are too many stellar eyeliner formulas on the market to make excuses for under-performers.

Vogue Paris Intern

I'm wearing the Rose Caché nail polish.

my picture

backstage pass

I'm wearing Graphite for the first time, like it!

don't look down

Seems another case of "barely there" (temptalia.com):

Quote:
Chanel Empreinte Rouge Coco Shine ($32.50 for 0.10 oz.) is a pale beige-rose with a subtle gray cast. There’s also a very subtle gold shimmer. Cle de Peau #129 is similar, though it applies pinker and warmer. MAC Win-Win has a totally different texture but appears a bit similar. MAC Lazy Day has a similar gray cast but is more opaque. Benefit Jing-a-ling is also pink with a gray cast but is also more opaque. I caution you on comparison colors, though, because there’s enough translucency that and subtlety to this shade that I expect it to look a bit different person to person.

It has semi-sheer color coverage; at first glance, it will appear sheer or almost colorless, and that’s because it is nearly the exact color of my lips, and I don’t mean that in a my-lips-but-better kind of way–because I don’t like my natural lip color much (very corpse-like), so the result is just a more evened out corpse-like color. So it’s not my take on MLBB myself, but it could work for someone with more naturally pigmented lips looking for a way to mute them here and there. If you’re scratching your head thinking, “No way this is semi-sheer,” I encourage you to look very specifically at the freckle on my lip–you can see how prominent it is on my bare lips, but you’ll see how much of it is covered/appears faded with this product on.

There are a lot of readers who love this formula, and while I like it, I’m not in love for two reasons: it’s not really moisturizing in my experience, and it wears off too quickly. It’s not drying, but it doesn’t hydrate my lips during the short time it lasts on my lips. I’m lucky if these last two hours (and I typically get four hours of wear out of lipsticks). Empreinte lasted a whopping hour and a half. What I like most about the formula is the consistency; it’s very soft, smooth, and has a lot of slip, so it glides on lips easily and feels really comfortable to wear. A small downside to slippery formulas is that it’s easy to over-apply and they do have a tendency to disappear faster than less slippery formulas.

backstage pass

picked up 'holiday' & the 'brun intense' eyeliner lst night. . def. in love w/both!.
'holiday' is vry orange-y & i love that for fingers and toes.
'brun intense' smudges well. . & i fully expect to be wearing it smudged & pairing it w/an intense blk mascara
looking forward to wearing both this summer

16-05-2012
V.I.P.

New nail polish...

chanel.com

16-05-2012
.my prison is your brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk_x_honey. View Post
picked up 'holiday' & the 'brun intense' eyeliner lst night. . def. in love w/both!.
'holiday' is vry orange-y & i love that for fingers and toes.
'brun intense' smudges well. . & i fully expect to be wearing it smudged & pairing it w/an intense blk mascara
looking forward to wearing both this summer
I was eyeing (no pun intended) the brun intense, might have to make my move. I also want to the Sable-Emouvant eyeshadow, looks like the perfect neutral.

Thanks for the reviews!

16-05-2012
backstage pass

^. . another word on the eyeliner, def. use your fingertip to smudge.! It comes with a smudger thing at the othr end, but i really find it works/looks better when you use fingers to pat it around (also a lot gentler!.)

sable-emouvant is gorgeous. . so tempting!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, chanel, good, makeup