How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-07-2012
backstage pass

^Thanks for posting! That was interesting...at first I was like what?? But it got better, the footage towards the end with the crystals on the model's face was pretty striking. Certainly a memorable video.

I'm a bit disappointed with the varnish colors that have been released recently, the only one that even remotely interests me is Vertigo.

10-07-2012
backstage pass

Vertigo is nice. I'll probably get it..

V.I.P.

tigerrouge, did you use a primer underneath your chanel eyeshadow? i'm strongly thinking about picking up complice.

don't look down

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
tigerrouge, did you use a primer underneath your chanel eyeshadow? i'm strongly thinking about picking up complice.
I tried to take snaps of it but I couldn't get decent enough close-ups to really show anything... so here's a shot from a discount retailer, because the entire Ombre Unique range was discontinued (beautiful4u.com):

This shade was 'No 7 - Declic' and it represented the outcome of several years searching for the perfect shade for highlighting the browbone, because I find that's one of the easiest ways to have a fresh look to your eyes.

For me, the problem with finding the perfect shade for this purpose was that most eyeshadows were either too white (chalky) or the shimmer was too obvious (glitter). Even as a cool-toned person, I still need a certain ratio of yellow/gold spun into the shade for it to look natural on the skin in daylight.

What the Chanel eyeshadow offered was particles of gold milled so finely within the white that it gave a perfect pale 'glow' without looking like glitter. And because of the fine texture, it went on like a dream, really soft.

Now, because the application was generally only on the browbone and not across the lids, I never had to use primer. So what I would advise is getting a light touch of Complice applied as a trial run at the counter to see what the actual wear is like on lids.

I can't vouch for the performance of this particular (newer) range of shadows, and I don't like to think of people spending money when they might find a mid-priced shadow gives better results, but every use of Declic has been a pleasure, despite it being a rather basic shade, because of the formulation.

V.I.P.

that's also what i've been looking for gold or champagne colored eye shadows that will open up the eye area. (i'm kind of a no-fuss kind of girl.i can only deal with basic technique)

i also own the urban decay naked palette (has a lot of gold-y type shades) so buying a similar coloured shade might be overkill.

perhaps i should buy a chanel gold coloured pencil instead. might be a better use of $.

my current primer is a year old (also from urban decay) so i might have to dump it.

good advice about asking the makeup artist to apply the complice, i'll ask them to put a primer on one eye.

don't look down

Urban Decay probably do better pencils than Chanel, in terms of shade range and softness.

Speaking of decay, I don't know whether this new shade is a polished neutral or a deathly greige. This is the sort of colour I'd take ages applying, then after all the effort, I'd decide that I didn't really like it (temptalia.com):

Quote:
Chanel Frenzy Le Vernis / Nail Lacquer ($26.00 for 0.40 fl. oz.) is described as a “lilac grey.” It’s a light taupe with a cream finish. There’s a little brown, little gray in it. Looks like the inside of a mushroom to me (aka it’s sooo taupe!). Zoya Farah is a little darker, browner. Essie Sand Tropez is very similar but a smidgen lighter. MAC Inert is grayer, a little darker. It’s the new nude; not beige, not mannequin hands–sophisticated and elevated. Why is taupe always so lovely? I could see this being a really nice go-to for office-appropriate nails.

It’s mostly opaque in two coats, but there is some visible nail line coming through. It does apply fairly well, though. I was expecting major streaking, but it was mostly even and very easy to control. The consistency was a nice balance of thick and thin, not going too far in either direction, so I didn’t have problems with bubbling or pooling, either. I felt like it took a little long to dry but not too much longer than usual.

don't look down

The Star Product from the autumn range (temptalia.com):

Quote:
Chanel Lumiere d’Artifices Beiges Illuminating Powder ($65.00 for 0.63 oz.) is designed to be a beige-based highlighter with an iridescent finish. It’s a soft peachy beige with a very fine shimmer-sheen. It has a glitter overlay that doesn’t seem to go all the way through, so while you might see some sparkles on the initial swatch or application, they’re not there going forward. NARS Miss Liberty is more shimmery but still similar. MAC How Beautiful is more beige. MAC Rose Ole is slightly darker and less peach.

The texture of the powder is very finely-milled, but it does err on the side of powdery–a lot of excess powder is loosened the moment your brush makes contact with it. The powderiness translated on the cheeks, too, but can be taken down by spritzing water (true with most powdery finishes). It does feel so soft and silky, though, so I was disappointed by how it did look powdery when applied. If you like a really subtle highlighter, the way this reflects light is minimal but noticeable–it’s one of the subtler highlighters I’ve come across in the past few months. When I tested the wear on my cheeks, it managed around seven hours before looking a little faded (it was hard to tell, since this is so skin-colored against my complexion).

Vogue Paris Intern

I'd actually love to try Frenzy. It seems to be a great classic color.

V.I.P.

does anyone know when the sky line nailpolish is supposed to come out? it was supposed to be a july release. is it online only?

my urban decay pencils turned rock hard rather quickly, so i dont think i'll be repurchasing them.

V.I.P.

When the fall collection will be available in Europe?

14-07-2012
V.I.P.

i'm disappointed with the sequins highlighter. it has been done by Chanel before and better too.

14-07-2012
don't look down

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
does anyone know when the sky line nailpolish is supposed to come out? it was supposed to be a july release. is it online only?

my urban decay pencils turned rock hard rather quickly, so i dont think i'll be repurchasing them.
And they get such good reviews... I always think there's an argument for doing 'follow-up' reviews of products after a month or two, when a mascara or nail varnish formula has seen some use, or after the fancy top layer of an eyeshadow has worn off.

The last pencils I bought were Hard Candy ones, but these days, I either use fluid liner or powder shadow around the eyes, simply because they're softer to apply. I generally find pencils are either too hard - or so soft, they crumble and are no use whatsoever. I know there's advice about 'storing them in the fridge' but I don't do my make-up in the kitchen, so it's hardly going to be handy.

Anyhow, Sky Line... (makeup4all.com):

Quote:
Blue Illusion de Chanel Makeup Collection

‘The juvenile grace of an almost nude face showcases eyes with marine depths, mellowed by the radiance of blue tones. On eyelids, ILLUSION D’OMBRE takes on a scintillating and satiny effect that makes eye makeup glow with each bat of the lashes. Two airy shades of grey blue, one pale, DESTINATION, and the other more intense, APPARITION, adapt to all faces. Eyeshadows are applied according to inspiration: in sheer washes or deep colour blocks, in monochrome or gradations.

Mascara-laden lashes accentuate the graphic tracing of the eye contour with a sophisticated note. LE CRAYON YEUX BLEU AÉRIEN borders the eyelids with an intense stroke, like a horizon line over the ocean. The effect can be optimized with LE CRAYON KHÔL and le STYLO YEUX WATERPROOF, chosen in the MARINE shade, perfect to intensify the depth of the eyes or create evening makeup.

The natural complexion is simply dressed in a tender pink blush with JOUES CONTRASTE ROSE ÉCRIN. LE CRAYON LÈVRES NATURAL becomes one with a subtle shade of ROUGE COCO SUPERSTITION, a golden beige, the favorite colour of Mademoiselle. For the final step of this chromatic journey, LE VERNIS SKY LINE sweeps nails with a delicate shade of pearly blue that captures and softens the light in its pearly reflections.’

Available exclusively in all Chanel boutiques, Harrods, Selfridges W1, Selfridges Manchester Exchange, House of Fraser Glasgow and Fenwick Newcastle from 13th July 2012.

don't look down

And a closer look... (alipstickaday.blogspot.co.uk):

Quote:
Sky Line is part of the Blue Illusion de Chanel makeup collection, from Chanel's spring/summer 2012 Haute Couture show. The entire Haute Couture collection featured the colour blue and was inspired by the glamour of air travel in its heyday.

One thing that Chanel does very well is linking its fashion shows to its makeup line - something I have yet to see in other French fashion houses with their own cosmetics line. Sky Line was another case of 'oh I want that' after seeing backstage beauty photos from the Haute Couture show.

I wanted to buy Sky Line (from seeing the backstage photos) but was apprehensive as blue nail polish doesn't sit well with my olive/tanned sallow skintone. My worry was that it would be too close to Riva, which did not complement my colouring. But as you can see, Sky Line is completely different to Riva and in my opinion much more beautiful.

With Riva next to Sky Line, you can see Sky Line is a blue with purple undertone. Nails Inc Blue Bell in the background is a pastel lavender and looks more in tone with Sky Line.

Sky Line has micro shimmer and is similar in texture to Island from the summer collection. The finish is pearl metallic, and the shimmer is not perceivable to the eye - I can only really capture it in super close up macro shots.

Colour wise I find it hard to describe Sky Line. At the counter under department store lighting, Sky Line definitely looked like a light 'sky' blue. However when viewed under natural daylight, I see it more as a lavender blue.

Initially, sight unseen, I thought Sky Line was going to be one of those cult Chanel colours that won't look good on me (Paradoxal & Riva springs to mind). I really really like Sky Line - it's a colour that works with my colouring and just looks very fresh and elegant (for an unusual colour).

In fact I'd put it out there and say I like it better than all of Chanel's recent releases that I picked up this year - from the spring collection (April), the Roses Ultimes de Chanel collection (Distraction & Frisson), the summer collection (Island, Delight & Holiday) and the Bombay Express collection (Diwali).

trendsetter

Preview of the Holiday 2012 Collection called Eclats du Soir de Chanel

Quote:
The Harmonie du Soir Quadra Eye Shadow palette ($65) offers shades of bronze gold, taupe, violet plum, and pink. I think it looks covet-worthy.

The shimmering soft pink Joues Contraste blush in Star Dust ($43) appears to be an absolute must-have. It's my kind of color.

The photo shows Rouge Allure Velvet ($32.50) luminous matte lip color in L'Impatiente - a shade that will be too dark for me. However, there will be a Lèvres Scintillantes Glossimer ($29.50) in Allégorie, a sheer, shimmering pink that looks gorgeous.

An eye shadow duo in Nuit-Claire ($42) will offer shades of rosy beige and deep black. Even more exciting to me is Apparence ($36), a Long-Wear Luminous Eye Shadow in gold bronze.

The Ligne Graphique de Chanel ($34) liquid eyeliner will be introduced in Rouge Noir, a deep red black. I'm going to have to see that.

The deep black-red Les Vernis ($26) nail lacquer in Malice appears perfect for the holiday season. All of the products I've listed will be limited editions. The collection also features lovely re-promotes. I think there will be something for everyone.
Source: bestthingsinbeauty.blogspot.com

don't look down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarlettLover View Post
I'm a bit disappointed with the varnish colors that have been released recently, the only one that even remotely interests me is Vertigo.
Definitely sounds like one to try at the counter because it seems that images wouldn't do it justice (temptalia.com):

Quote:
Chanel Vertigo Le Vernis / Nail Lacquer ($26.00 for 0.40 fl. oz.) is described as a “grey-black.” I’d like to describe it as one weird color that’s impossible to describe! In the bottle, it’s like a deep, dark smoky plummy brown with bits of shimmer in it. In natural light, it’s an inky brown with a hint of gray and touch of burgundy. In bright light, it’s a plum-tinged brown with bronze and red shimmer. Cult Nails Enigmatic is redder, lighter, purpler. Rescue Beauty Lounge Recherche is purpler, more eggplant than brown. Illamasqua Baptiste is definitely purple. Chanel Paradoxal is purpler, less brown (but it’s kind of the closest in “feel”). China Glaze Bogie is duller, more purple.

Oh, Vertigo is a complex one, which is what you hope for when Chanel debuts a new shade. I don’t know if it’s a pretty shade or one of those pretty-ugly kind of shades that people either love or hate. I see myself closer to the love it crowd, but I don’t think it’s particularly flattering against my skin tone, so it’s not something I’d end up reaching for. I always appreciate it when a brand manages to come up with a color that’s more nuanced or harder to dupe. I wish the shimmer was more noticeable, though, because it’s nearly invisible under most lighting conditions!

Chanel’s formula wears a full week on me with minor tip wear but no chipping. The consistency of Vertigo was just right–not too thick or too thin–and it applied easily and evenly. The color was fully opaque after two coats.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, chanel, good, makeup