How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-09-2012
don't look down

I not sure if I like the gold shade in the mix (same source):

Quote:
Chanel Harmonie du Soir Eyeshadow Palette ($65.00 for 0.14 oz.) contains four shades, which are described as “bronze gold, taupe, violet-plum, and pink.” The formula of this palette is different than Chanel’s usual quads, but the palette is much like Topkapi, which came out in July 2011.

The first shade is a golden bronze with a frosted finish. It had full color coverage, and it applied smoothly–almost melted against the skin. Dior Night Golds is similar but lighter. Dior Couture Gold is lighter. Chanel Apparence is lighter, more golden, less warm-toned.

Next, there is a reddened taupe–little hints of brown and gray mix to create a warmed-up taupe with a soft frosted finish. It had lovely color payoff and a soft, smooth application. Urban Decay Rehab is darker, grayer. Urban Decay Midnight Rodeo is similar–slightly more of a gray sheen. MAC Satni Taupe is darker.

On the bottom left, there is a reddened plum with a delicate pink shimmer-sheen. Like the previous shades, it also had excellent pigmentation and a very silky-smooth feel and application. L’Oreal Glistening Garnet is pinker. NARS Charade is more subdued. NARS Grand Palais is darker, browner. Urban Decay Last Call is slightly darker. MAC Cranberry is darker, less pink.

The final sahde is a pale, light pink with yellow undertones and a frosted, metallic finish. It had great color payoff and went on very smoothly. MAC Love Power is darker. theBalm Matt Chung is lighter, less yellow-toned. MAC Young Venus is cool-toned. Dior Garden Pastels is similar. MAC Taupeless is a bit darker. Inglot #356 is less shimmery.

Guerlain Turandot isn’t exactly the same, but they had some at-a-glance similarities. Turandot has a stronger yellowy gold shade, as well as a reddish-brown (instead of the pink in this palette). The plum in Turandot is much more red-toned, less pink. The taupe in Guerlain’s palette is darker, more of a metallic sheen, less gray.

The formula in this palette is excellent; soft, buttery textures combined with excellent color payoff and beautiful long-wear. If Chanel changed all of their quads to this formula, I’d be in serious danger–or at least my wallet would be! What’s great is that soft, smooth, dense consistency isn’t powdery at all–just fabulous color and smooth application. I wore the palette without a base, and it wore for a full eight hours without any creasing or fading. When I wore it over a primer, I achieved the same results. The colors apply true-to-pan, don’t require any packing to get there, and they’re extremely blendable.

Now, I would like to point out that 0.14 oz. isn’t a lot of product, and it’s less than their regular eyeshadow quads ads well.

29-09-2012
don't look down

Two of the three Glossimers from the Holiday 2012 collection (same source):

Quote:
Chanel Mystery Glossimer Lipgloss ($29.50 for 0.19 fl. oz.) is described as a “fresh rosewood.” It’s a soft pink-peach with a creamy finish. MAC Persistent Peach is similar but a smidgen brighter. MAC So Vain is darker, pinker. Dior Pink Veil is pinker, shimmery. YSL Pure Watermelon is more orange. Benefit Spiked Punch is similar but shimmery. Chanel Caprice is a bit pinker and shimmery.

Mystery is non-sticky, lightweight, and very comfortable to wear. The consistency isn’t too thick or too thin, and for a creamy gloss it settles very little into the lip lines–certainly not noticeable from a regular viewing distance. It also applied rather evenly. When I tested it out, it lasted for four hours, which was good. This gloss has a high-shine finish that gives lips a fuller look (just an illusion). It’s a your-lips-but-better kind of shade with better coverage.

Quote:
Chanel Allegorie Glossimer Lipgloss ($29.50 for 0.19 fl. oz.) is described as a “sheer shimmering pink.” It’s new and limited edition from Chanel’s holiday collection, which will debut this October. It’s a pale, light-medium pink with subtle yellow undertones and a dusting of warm white shimmer. If you have more pigmented lips, this will lighten it, as there is some color in it, it’s just a light one at that–you can see how it softens and covers up my lip freckle somewhat. Because it’s pale and sheer, it’s more dupeable than not. Here are a few I came up with: NARS International Velvet is less warm-toned, Chanel Caprice is more opaque, MAC Fresh Air is pinker, and Bobbi Brown Pastel has pink shimmer.

What makes Glossimers popular are their non-sticky, thin consistency combined with high gloss finish and sparkling shimmer. They also tend to wear a little longer than the average gloss. Allegorie wore for four hours, which is about average across all gloss, though a little better than average for such a sheer color. The shimmer isn’t too dense, so it doesn’t look frosted or metallic on, but it does catch the light nicely and have a very Glossimer-like feel and look. I liked that it while it was sheer, it wasn’t completely colorless. It was comfortable on, both hydrating and non-sticky. It could have applied just slightly more evenly.

don't look down

One of the two Illusions d'Ombre (temptalia.com):

Quote:
Chanel Apparence Illusion d’Ombre Eyeshadow ($36.00 for 0.14 oz.) is a new and limited edition “gold bronze” releasing just in time for the holidays. It’s a shimmering, pale bronze with a subtle golden warmth. The finish is strongly metallic with a fair bit of sparkle. Bobbi Brown Bronze is similar, slightly darker, and has chunky sparkle. Urban Decay Maui Wowie is a smidgen darker and has glitter. Giorgio Armani #18 is yellower.

Illusion d’Ombre is a long-wearing eyeshadow with a gel texture and can be worn as an eyeshadow or as an eyeliner. It feels spongy; you can see in my pot that it’s pulled away from the sides, but a simple push of the product with a spatula spread it back into place. Upon touch, it hadn’t dried out or anything, either (in case you were curious!). When applied, it has a slight translucent quality to the overall color, which actually makes it look nice as a wash, but it’s not fully opaque. It also appears lighter on than it does in the pot, which is a result of the high sheen finish.

When I took it for a test-drive, it lasted for a full eight hours without creasing or fading, and perhaps, more importantly, I didn’t experience any fall out. There’s a sparkle to it that’s not obvious but noticeable, on top of the metallic finish. I think so long as you weren’t looking for fully opaque color, you’ll like this. I can see a lot of Chanel fans more than happy with this shade release.

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerrouge View Post
From the Holiday 2012 collection - this soft pink blush is my most likely purchase from the range, given that I'm super-pale [/URL]
It is a beautiful shade indeed and I have troubles with blushers too, since I'm pale almost everything is too much for me, even if I apply it really lighty I can't really achieve a natural blushed effect.
Though I doubth this collection will be available here.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

Last edited by Jinadaze; 29-09-2012 at 03:36 PM.
29-09-2012
V.I.P.

i dont own any gel texture eyeshadows (like the illusion d'ombre that tigerrouge posted about) i'm still waiting for chanel to put out a gold/champagne coloured eyeliner. i dont think i'm skilled enough to use the illusion d'ombre as an eyeliner...

i bought the chanel beige nail polish this week. havnet worn it yet.

thinking about buying the rose beige nail polish even though its very similar to other chanel polishes i own (ie peche necre, jade rose etc)

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
i dont own any gel texture eyeshadows (like the illusion d'ombre that tigerrouge posted about) i'm still waiting for chanel to put out a gold/champagne coloured eyeliner. i dont think i'm skilled enough to use the illusion d'ombre as an eyeliner...
I find the application really easy with the brush you get with it. I have it in two shades (Illusoire and Ebloui) and love how it pops out the eyes. It's buttery soft and almost waterproof, it doesn't smudge a whole day.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

Last edited by Jinadaze; 30-09-2012 at 08:35 PM.
05-10-2012
don't look down

It's nice to hear news of forthcoming products and collections, but I can't say I was overly impressed with the effect of this particular catwalk look (makeup4all.com):

Quote:
CHANEL Ready-to-Wear Spring/Summer 2013

Makeup was created by Peter Philips and he used the following products:

Skin prepared with HYDRA BEAUTY SERUM

The Complexion
  • VITALUMIÈRE Satin Fluid Makeup
  • ÉCLAT LUMIRE Highlighter Face Pen
  • CORRECTEUR PERFECTION Long Lasting Concealer
  • POUDRE UNIVERSELLE COMPACTE Natural Finish Pressed Powder
  • No blush
The Eyes
  • ILLUSION d’OMBRE Long Wear Luminous Eyeshadow in Platine Précieux – Exclusive Collection “Souffle de Liberté” available in March 2013
  • STYLO YEUX WATERPROOF Long-lasting Eyeliner in Ébène
  • LE CRAYON KHÔL Intense Eye Pencil in Graphite
  • CRAYON SOURCILS Sculpting Eyebrow Pencil
  • MASCARA INIMITABLE WATERPROOF in Black
  • RECOURBE CILS DE CHANEL Precision Eyelash Curler
The Lips
  • ROUGE ALLURE Luminous Satin Lip Colour in Gracile
  • LÈVRES SCINTILLANTES Glossimer in Plaisir
The Nails
  • LE VERNIS Nail Colour in Eastern Light – “Hong Kong Collection CHANEL” available in February 2013
  • LE VERNIS Nail Colour in Ballerina
  • BEAUTÉ DES ONGLES LAQUE BRILLANCE EXTRÊME
Photos by Vincent Lappartient and vogue.com

V.I.P.

Agree. I like the eyes, especially the slightly green color but the overly bold eyes and bare lips look is kind of boring now.. the nails are are also disappointing.. last season's colors were so much better.. let's hope the actual beauty collection will be more interesting..

11-10-2012
don't look down

Not strictly make-up, but certainly another one of Chanel's rather mad videos (youtube.com/chanel):

don't look down

I have a LE pressed powder that's similar to this shade, and while it's a delightful formulation, I can only wear it on crisp winter days, because a pale, sparkly face doesn't make much sense in summer (temptalia.com):

Quote:
Chanel Reverie Natural Finish Loose Powder ($52.00 for 1.0 oz.) is described as a “rosy golden beige.” I think Chanel missed a vital component of the description, though: LOTS AND LOTS OF SPARKLING BITS AND BOBS. The base color is a soft, candlelit beige with a hint of warmth and pinkness that features flecks of sparkle. It seems less sparkly compared to last holiday’s Feerie (which I don’t own but saw briefly). If you’re not a fan of loose sparkle in your face powders, I’d pass on this. It’s a finishing powder that mattifies and sets makeup, but it also had noticeable bits of sparkle everywhere I applied it. I barely patted it on, and there was a healthy blanket of sparkle all over my face (well, the half I applied it to).

The good and bad news is that you can’t really see it in the photos. You can definitely see it in person, though. We were waiting for some to-go food when I was testing it, and my husband looked at me strangely and said, “You have glitter all over your face.” Why, yes, yes, I did! I’d describe the particle size to be more that of sparkle, so noticeably smaller than glitter but larger than shimmer and more reflective. It’s not so densely-packed with sparkle that every inch of your skin is sparkly, but it’s definitely apparent.

I’m not keen on it as a finishing powder; I think the random sparkles take away from the mattifying, finishing effect of the powder itself. I’d rather grab one of the flesh-toned shades (although, this is really quite transparent on, as finishing powders are designed to be) that do just that but do not have any sparkle. However, The Muse loves it, so give her a review a look-see for some balance. With the amount of sparkle in this, I thought it was better suited for holiday glitz on shoulders and decolletage. It would even work well on legs and arms. Now that I think of it that way, it reminds me of an old Benefit powder that was a sparkly powder that came with an elegant, over-sized pouf to apply, which was quite fun and pretty for body.

The powder itself does mattify and finish off foundation quite well, and it helps keep my foundation in place and to last longer by extending the wear an hour or two hours. I don’t think it hides imperfections, though, because the sparkle draws attention to them. It’s extremely finely-milled and feels truly like silk against the skin. It’s lightweight, doesn’t look cakey, and should work well on many complexions.

Where to Buy: Chanel, $52.00 (Late October)

don't look down

I especially like the last shot (temptalia.com):

Quote:
Chanel Malice Le Vernis Nail Lacquer ($26.00 for 0.40 fl. oz.) is a deep, dark red with ruby red shimmer. Guerlain Lou-Ling is similar in the base color, but it doesn’t have the same ruby shimmer. MAC Gadabout Girl is darker, no shimmer. MAC Vintage Vamp is browner and has no shimmer. Deborah Lippmann Single Ladies has a similar base color but is a cream. China Glaze Velvet Bow also is similar to the base color but doesn’t have any shimmer. Illamasqua Scarab is redder, warmer.

Malice is a stunner in person. It’s so rich and dark, but it doesn’t lose its color to black–it’s definitely a burgundy-red with a little wine-tint to it. Then there’s the ruby shimmer that catches light so well. Chanel nailed this polish; the consistency was a dream to work with, as it flowed across the nail without pooling, streaky, or bubbling. It wasn’t too thick or too thin, and it was fully opaque after two coats (one is almost enough). It even had a slightly glossy shine to it naturally, though I’d still recommend a top coat to get the most out of this polish. I typically get a week of wear with minor tip wear but no chipping with Chanel’s formula.

Sometimes Chanel does amazing color in their lacquer range, and sometimes, the formula isn't quite there; here, Chanel knocks it out of the park with a flawless formula, enchanting color, and a hue that is utterly perfect for the holidays.

don't look down

The Beauty Look Book recommends the shade as well (thebeautylokbook.com):

Quote:
Chanel Malice #637 ($26 for 13 ml/0.4 oz) is the newest nail polish release for holiday this year. I found mine at Neiman Marcus in-store, but the entire holiday collection had not yet arrived (and there were no testers). It's a stunning drop-dead gorgeous dark wine vamp infused with red shimmer. It's quite dramatic and deep. The finish is a smooth shimmer. It's not quite as shimmery or frosty like Delight or Island, but the shimmer isn't invisible like it is with shades such as Distraction or Jade Rose. I've worn this color for three days now with no wear/chipping/peeling. I haven't been this smitten with a nail color since Black Pearl. I do find it different enough from Vamp to justify owning both.

V.I.P.

^ That colour is divine. I must have it.

04-11-2012
backstage pass

Haven't checked the thread in a while, Provocation looks soooo pretty! I have to get it! Although Malice is perfect for the holiday season, it's really festive looking.

don't look down

A first look at Spring 2013 (twitter @AlexSteinherr):

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, chanel, good, makeup