How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-02-2012
fashion insider

The Clinique Make-up Thread
Is anyone else super duper excited about the 're-launch' of Almost Lipstick/ Black Honey spin-off? I was a huge fan of Almost Lipstick in the 90s and wore my beloved, long DC'd Bronze Lilac everyday in high school ( I wore it for my senior photos). I usually stash the Superbalm Moisturizing Lip gloss in my purse and altho i wish it was a tad bit more hydrating it's still a staple for me ( the pigmentation is great while still being sheer ) . I loved the texture of the LE Black Honey lip balm stick/ gloss w/applicator wand duo but it was just too awkward to carry around in my pocket.

How gorgeous are these colors?!? I'm going to pop into Macy's tomorrow to check out all the new shades altho based on online swacthes i'm the most jazzed about the Chic Honey shade. ( Black Honey pulls orangey, coppery on me).

source: rougedeluxe.blogspot

11-02-2012
fashion insider

Well I dropped by Macy's after work to test drive the CLINIQUE Chic Honey but wasn't blown away. The CLINIQUE SA scraped off a gob from the top of the bullet using the stick part of a Q-tip so application was awkward and not the same as applying the color from the tube. and i had forgotten that the lighting at Macy's is sh*te so I did not get a true picture of color intensity. I'll probably just end up going to Nordies on a day off during the day to see how the color/undertones wears after 'mellowing out' and mingling with my natural lip color.

Of course this blogger makes it look amazing:

coralandmauve.at

coralandmauve.at

coralandmauve.at

fashion insider

Here's the original "universally flattering" Black Honey:

rtroncampus.com

V.I.P.

I am so sorry but the black honey color looks kind of outdated.

I am a huge fan of their skin care products but Clinique's makeup is quite average. I mostly use the makeup that comes in their gift with purchase. Their eyeshadows are very very pigmented and smooth texture. But the lipsticks they give out are usually pretty bad colors, same goes for the blushes..... Recently tried out their mascara that comes with a tiny wand to elongate lashes but it clumped my lashes real bad. I wish they made their Lash Doubling mascara in a formula that does not smudge cause the look was very nice.

13-02-2012
fashion icon

Yes agree!!

fashion insider

^ Well that shade has been around since like the 70s; what it lacks in modernity it makes up in sheer longevity, pun intended The Almost Lipstick in Black Honey does not suit me so I prefer the Superbalm as it goes on more sheer/ less orangey. I remember the exact moment in 1997 when my cousin's glamorous girlfriend introduced me to the shade.

Black Honey is the lippie equivalent of their Dramatically Different lotion, aka dramatically out-dated and embarrassingly not cutting-edge. It always strikes me as odd when a company so proudly declares that the formulations of their best-selling this and that hasn't been changed for the past half a century as if that's really the best for the skin!

I found some of CLINIQUE's face creams to be quite harsh altho I do love their Liquid Facial Soap extra mild cleanser.

I've held onto my mum's ancient Clinique Starstruck eyeshadow from the early 90s. The line and certain products like Almost Lipstick have a very strong emotional pull and sentimental value for me; I cherish the memories attached to certain products

Altho I must say Clinique has the worst GWP. But I like millions of other women can't help but be drawn to miniature make-up like a moth to a flame. But man mini lipglosses are a godsend for the jean pocket!

Never had much luck with the rest of the color line but I have used their foundations and powders which worked well enough but not enough to keep going back. There's one sparkly forest green tube mascara i keep around just cuz the tube is so pretty to look at. and of course those shockingly simple yet hypnotic Irving Penn Clinique adverts are ingrained in my cosmetics psyche!

fashion insider

Just for kicks old-school CLINIQUE Glosswear packaging and comparison swatches:

source: getlippie.blogspot

Making a Mess

I don't get the hype around Black Honey . I too think its an outdated shade. And only looks best on those with a darker skin tone.

And I've always wondered is the Almost Lipstick line part lipstick and lip balm or part lipstick and lip gloss?

V.I.P.

black honey almost lipstick is the only lip product i've ever bought from clinique. i love it.

has anyone tried the new clinique BB cream?

Last edited by lucy92; 09-03-2012 at 02:07 PM.
13-03-2012
fashion insider

lucy92, i think i sampled shade 2 in that BB cream and wasn't thrilled by it. the color, as with many of the BB creams I've seen and tried are very orange which strikes me as very odd given that the trend originated in Asia. also it is very absorbent i.e. hard to blend. the coverage was ok as with most tinted products but the color is so orange it's best that is more on the sheer side. It seems most BB creams are geared toward oil/combo acne prone skin so finding a more cushion-y, blendable, moisturizing formula might be tricky. Dr Jart silver label was the only one i've tried that felt more like silky moisturzier but that lent a gray-ish, pink cast on my skin

front row

I've recently started using clinique superpowder double face powder and I really love it! Much better than their anti-blemish and even better makeup liquid foundations.Their mascaras are absolutely awful though

29-03-2012
front row

Clinique blush in Iced Lotus: to buy or not to buy?

29-01-2013
don't look down

New for Spring 2013 (makeup4all.com):

Quote:
Clinique Chubby Stick Shadow Tint for Eyes ($16/£16) are finally here! And these are promised to be lightweight, creamy, long-wearing and versatile.

There are twelve shades: nudes and browns, greens, pinks and purples, also blues and grey.

They are already out in the US and will be out in UK/EU in February.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
clinique, makeup, thread