How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-05-2006
fashion icon

Companies that don't test on animals
I thought we could make a thread of beauty products - especially cleansers and moisturisers that don't test their products on animals! I know the body shop doesn't test their products on animals, does anyone know of any other companies that don't? I found this on www.neutrogena.com "The ingredients in Neutrogena products have been proven safe historically, so instead of using laboratory animals to assess the safety of its formulations, Neutrogena performs a number of predictive tests in humans. However, since there is always the possibility of a regulatory requirement due to the discovery of an important new compound that might require expanded safety testing, Neutrogena does not wish to preclude the possibility that it will ever use lab animals in product safety tests." So it looks like they don't test on animals at the moment so lets hope they keep it that way! Those poor bunnies!!

Thanks

Last edited by sYdneY__; 15-05-2006 at 03:12 AM.

15-05-2006
Meg
inspired contemplation

Great idea for a topic Sydney, just wanted to remind everyone that this is not about animal testing in general, but to share product knowledge on companies that do not support it for cosmetic purposes.

15-05-2006
V.I.P.

Wow, you read my mind! I was up to check google for information on that (and yes, especially about Neutrogena).

As far as I know, Nivea don't test their products on animals.
The Body Shop has been bought up by L'Oreal and I heard/read rumors about the Body Shop doing animal tests now, but in my opinion that seems really unlikely.

V.I.P.

from Caring Consumer:
Companies that don't test on animals
Companies that do test on animals

Nyx
front row

Thank you for starting this thread, sYdneY__! This is a very important topic.

I'd like to make an important distinction between companies that claim not to test on animals.

Most cosmetic companies that don't really conduct these tests themselves still use mostly ingredients that have at some point been tested on animals by others.

So if you really want to make sure that the label you're using is bunny-friendly, you should look out for companies that do not use any ingredients that have ever been tested on animals.

Companies like this do exist, but I can't think of any on top of my head and right now I'm too busy to search for examples

15-05-2006
V.I.P.

I'm using nivea and clinique products atm and I thought they're tested on animals, but they're not! A pleasant surprise

15-05-2006
fashion elite

Another thing to consider...........which most companies dont make aware to the consumer..........

Company A might not have tested their products on animals but they might have purchased ingriedents from Company B -- that is involved in animal testing of some sort.

I use:

www.lush.com because they won't even purchase ANYTHING from another company if that company is known to have tested on animals.

Another great source is PETA............that have a great shopping/consumer list of companies that DO and DONT test on animals.

15-05-2006
tfs star

Jane cosmetics doesn't, and Avon just recently stopped.

You can check out caringconsumer.com for a list

15-05-2006
tfs star

Oops sorry Satic Chic, i see you beat me to it.

16-05-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by satin chic
beat me to the punch.

16-05-2006
fashion insider

lush doesn't. they have the BEST skin products by far, and i'm a junkie. everything is all natural and my skin has responed really well to them in the past six months since i've been using them. i'm hooked.

17-05-2006
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesiren
lush doesn't. they have the BEST skin products by far, and i'm a junkie. everything is all natural and my skin has responed really well to them in the past six months since i've been using them. i'm hooked.
Lush is not completely ALL Natural though............they use "safe synthetics" where they need to.

But they do have alot of vegan products. And everything is handmade, and they use organic ingriedents where they can.

17-05-2006
Diamond

I'm a fan of Fresh Body Market

http://store.freshbodymarket.com/index.html

~Madeleine Albright
18-05-2006
backstage pass

http://www.neavs.org/crueltyfree/cfl...compassion.htm

I use mainly Jason and Rachel Perry products and am happy to see them on this list

front row

Like Ianastar said, be sure when reading the label that "this FINISHED product is not tested on animals" is different from "this product is not tested on animals". I know Bath and Body Works is this way, here in the US.
Last summer I made a pact with myself to not use anything tested on animals, man has it been HARD. You don't realize how many brands do, even running to Target to pick up toothpaste was a production. Now, a year later, I feel as if I might be making a difference. But, I also write my old favorite tested on animals companies to urge them to change their procedures.
Very good thread!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
animals, companies, test