How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-08-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostFamous
One should take a vitamin, anyway.
:p
I do, Im just curious as to calcium content.

Champagne taste on a beer budget...

25-08-2005
V.I.P.

cow milk.

you set the scene

I used to drink raw cows' milk (unpasteurized), and I prefer that to the pasteurized kind by a mile. But like many posters I don't handle milk that well anyway, and I am a vegan, so I stick with soy milk. I didn't like soy milk at first because it tastes a little thin and nutty, but it grows on you. and it's much healthier anyway!

25-08-2005
V.I.P.

Go SOY!

25-08-2005
crossed wires.

I can drink soy milk or cows milk, the taste of soy doesnt really bother me, you can get sweetened or unsweetened as far as I know...I also sometimes have rice milk, which is quite watery and sweet.

windowshopping

Soy milk definitely grew on me. I didn't like it the first few times, but now I drink it all the time. Chocolate soy milk is delish!

Orange juice is another great source of calcium.

25-08-2005
scenester

I like cow, i like soy ........then there is also Rice milk, almond milk , goat milk .....milk chocolate ( oh, wait a sec )

26-08-2005
i'm almost ready..

i drink rice milk.....
i used to drink soy, but never enjoyed the taste.... i still use it in smoothies and desserts though....when the creamy consistency is really useful....

i cant tolerate cows milk....
but i love the lightness of rice milk....its the only 'milk' my body will really tolerate 100%.....

almond milk is up there too, actually....
it would probably be my 2nd choice....

26-08-2005
fashion elite

soy sounds interesting, but personally I am still not convinced. Since I drink nonfat milk the info posted comparing the two in caloric and nutritional content does not apply. I do understand for those who cant tolerate milk or cant digest it...
but I must say, I dont know very many people who actually love it! Its always about how good it is for your body than your taste buds....
and tho this must sound close minded to some, deriving so many things outta soy sounds kinda un natural to me.. shruggs...

backstage pass

I love soy milk, they're really quite yum plus soy is one of the healthiest foods out there. As for cow's milk, I hardly drink it...unless there is no other drinks left hehe.

haha, sorry, but the sound of "cow's milk" really made me laugh. I know milk comes from cows but i've never acknowledged it that way....

26-08-2005
V.I.P.

Everything in moderation is my mantra. Soy is good but I heard from my bf's mom who had breast cancer that her doctor told her to stop eating anything soy. Also read stories about vegans who ate too much soy and got cancer, supposedly that was what they thought caused it. Who knows. I love soy milk and skimmed milk. Though if you're going to drink milk at all, the kind that's in those tetrapaks and don't need to be refridgerated are the safest. Something to do with the heating process. I forget why.

V.I.P.

On the question of Calcium, because Calcium is used by the body to absorb Proteins, trying to get Calcium from protein rich milks is kind of pointless. The best way is dark leafy vegetables and salads.

And to add my two pennies worth to the Soy/cow debate, I am furiously against diary as anything other than a treat in a diet. We just aren't designed for it, like we aren't designed for alcohol. We may have made ourselves fairly tolerant (although many aren't especially in Asia where a lot of people are lactose intolerant) but it is not really a question of tolerance because what that really means is that dairy is affecting our digestive systems in the long run but not enough to ellicit a strong allergic reaction. The problem with this is we are damaging ourselves without knowing.

Also what other animal in nature drinks milk past weaning and moreover drinks the milk of another animal. Nature is the best guide. Just like salt isn't good for us -hello why do they say 'salt the ground'? Because plants cannot grow in salted Earth because it is BAD BAD BAD.

26-08-2005
backstage pass

I adore SOYMILK. I use it in everything

The only reason some soymilk is more caloric than regular milk is because they put more sugar in it. But soy is definitley a lot healthier for you. Plus you're not drinking something that comes out of a cow's boob.

27-08-2005
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastic'sWife
and tho this must sound close minded to some, deriving so many things outta soy sounds kinda un natural to me.. shruggs...
i agree, but i also think drinking another animals milk (that is designed for a calf that has a stomach with four departments) seems kind of unnatrual to me as well...

gromosexual

i love soy milk, but not flavoured kinds

although, i suggest putting some soy milk in a blender with a banana, some strawberries, a spoon or two of honey and a scoop of your favourite ice cream/sorbet (berry flavours work best)... you will love it

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cows, milk, soy