How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-10-2005
windowshopping

I really like cow milk on one hand for its taste, on the other for its protein. I use round abount 2l a day for drinking and shakes with milk.
Soy milk is drinkable, but I always prefer cow milk (in my opinion 1,5%fat is the best).

13-10-2005
scenester

i actually do like soy milk on it's own and also got used to eat cereals and drink coffee with it etc. since i find the theory of cows milk being unhealthy and unnatural plain logical. I never drank that much of cow's milk on it's own anyway, but i eat a LOT of cornflakes, sooo the switching was quite a quest, really, mostly because the best cereals, the flavoured, sugared ones, don't go that well with soy.
but then just a few days ago we ran out of soy milk so i used the leftover cow's milk from the fridge - and gahhh it just tastes better. i was so used to soy milk and now i have to start from the beginning again, bleh.
and this may be purely psychosomatic, but i really do feel kind of bad and bloathed after having 'eaten' so much of cow's milk after barely not having any since a few months!

but if cow's milk, then whole. skimmed milk tastes just like water!

Last edited by sardine; 13-10-2005 at 06:58 PM.
13-10-2005
front row

I drink skim cow's milk. I do not like the taste of soymilk, and skim cow's milk generally has less fat and calories.

14-10-2005
princely

If you continue drinking skim..eventually it will taste like milk again, and ull wish you never drank the whole milk :S

28-10-2005
tfs star

I drink organic cow milk(from vermont) which tastes normal, or soy milk. Soy milk tastes different depending on the brand. Chocolate soy milk is better than chocolate cow milk IMO.

28-10-2005
V.I.P.

Cow milk for cereal/smoothies/milkshakes
Soy milk if I'm drinking it by itself

28-10-2005
windowshopping

I drink soy. I can't even drink cow milk anymore- it justs taste funny to me. In my opinion, Westsoy Vanilla, is the best tasting...not "chalky" like some other brands.

29-10-2005
tfs star

i love silk plain light soy milk. . . it's delicious and nutricious.

29-10-2005
V.I.P.

MILKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

I drink Cow Milk (1%), but that's because I never had the chance to try soy milk. I'm sure I would like it, I'm not too difficult on things like that.

But I absolutely adore cow milk, so much infact, that my friends call me "ptit veau" (lil' calf)!!!

29-10-2005
front row

There's a tremendous amount of propaganda out there about food, so I think it's important to be very skeptical about various claims.

According to an online grocery site (peapod.com), a gallon of organic soy milk costs $7.20. By contrast, ordinary skim milk costs $4.09 per gallon.

I think the alleged health benefits of soy are very overrated, and probably economically driven. People have been consuming dairy products for centuries. They are delicious and inexpensive.

One way to research health-related claims is to go to PubMed at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi

You'll see that on the whole, dairy products are nutritious and associated with health benefits rather than risks. For people who are concerned about fat and cholesterol, fat-free dairy is readily available. Lactose-free milk is also an option for the lactose-intolerant.

29-10-2005
V.I.P.

^ Interesting facts... i'll do some research on that issue, never ever thought of it that way!

I drink skim milk..... I used to drink 3.25% milk when I was a bit younger......

29-10-2005
tfs star

many people have some mild form of eczema.. and in those cases, its best to stay away from cows milk as it has an irritant similar to the iodine found in shellfish..

plus, one of soymilk's nutritional benefits is that its known to brighten the skin.. & btw a popular childrens drink in asia

I don't think soymilk is overrated in health benefits.. maybe since its relatively new in the west, marketers are trying to jump on the health craze bandwagon to justify the high price.. since soymilk production hasn't been established long enough yet?

30-10-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky*
many people have some mild form of eczema.. and in those cases, its best to stay away from cows milk as it has an irritant similar to the iodine found in shellfish..
Again, here's where skepticism is important. If you search pubmed (see link above) with the words "milk" and "eczema", you will find that the "irritant" Pinky refers to is merely milk protein. Some people mount an immune response to it and develop an allergy to it, just like some people are allergic to peanuts. Cow's milk allergy is an important source of eczema for INFANTS, not adults. 90% of kids with cow's milk allergy are no longer allergic by age 4.

Natural course of cow's milk allergy in childhood atopic eczema/dermatitis syndrome.

In a study of 1100 adults aged 20 - 45 years, only 1.3% had any evidence of food allergy, as determined by skin prick testing. Only one person in their sample of 1100 had an allergy to cow's milk (0.09%). Clearly this is an uncommmon problem in adults. By contrast, peanut and shellfish allergies are about five times more common--but still rare in the general population (0.61% and 0.53% respectively). Risk of eczema was associated with PEANUT allergy, not cow's milk.

Prevalence of food allergies in young adults and their relationship to asthma, nasal allergies, and eczema.

A number of factors contribute to the development of peanut allergy in childhood--including exposure to soy milk!

Factors associated with the development of peanut allergy in childhood

Therefore, it is impossible to make ANY blanket dietary recommendations to people suffering from eczema. Such people should see an allergist physician, and receive testing for allergies, and make appropriate dietary or lifestyle modifications based on that.

30-10-2005
front row

I don't drink that much milk. >_< If I do, it's usually soy - i can't really stand the taste of cow milk.

30-10-2005
tfs star

oh wow tinu... you are really an advocate for cow's milk!
just out of curiousity.. while you were researching this topic, did you come accross any facts that argue cows milk has more or equal benefits to soy? I've always wondered..

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cows, milk, soy