How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-04-2012
don't look down

Summer 2012... (temptalia.com):

Quote:
Dior Croisette Collection for Summer 2012

“On vacation, you can wear all the colorful and casual clothing that you like, but you must always be elegant,” said Christian Dior. Inspired by the art de vivre of the French Riviera, the Dior Croisette Collection combines the peace of the French countryside with the splendour of Saint Tropez. These locations have always been a prolific source of inspiration for Christian Dior. From Dior’s first swimsuit collections and seaside fashion creations in the Fifties to the current Cruise Collections, the French Riviera also embodies the brand’s most daring, fresh and colorful lines today.

Between the shimmering turquoise of the Mediterranean Sea and the sparkling gold of the sand, through soft coral and bikini pink, the Croisette reveals all its elegance and optimism in sunny and aquatic-inspired shades. The skin is warmed up and illuminated in a natural glow effect, while the eyes are dressed up with luminescent sunny shades or fresh azure blues. The lips are colorful and subtly sparkling while the nails complete the look with coral and blue shades inspired by the most glamorous emblems of the French Riviera. Available April/May 2012.

Dior 5-Couleurs Croisette Edition ($60.00) (Limited Edition)
  • Aurora Warm
  • Swimming Pool Cool
1-Couleur Eye Gloss ($28.00) (Limited Edition) (Sephora Exclusive)
  • Tan (560)
  • Sunset (750)
Dior Addict Lip Balm ($30.00) (Limited Edition)
  • Crystal Coral (Sephora Exclusive)
Lipstick ($30.00) (Limited Edition)
  • Palace 354
  • Casual Gold 414
  • Jet Set 544
Ultra-Gloss ($28.00) (Limited Edition)
  • Brown Panama 432
  • Pink Croisette 464
  • Orange Pareo 542
DiorShow Liner Waterproof ($29.00) (Limited Edition)
  • Turquoise 258 (Not at Sephora)
Vernis ($23.00) (Limited Edition)
  • Bikini 231
  • Saint Tropez 401

10-04-2012
fashion insider

Love the lipstick colors Perfect for summer.

11-04-2012
V.I.P.

The eyeshadow colours are nice as well.

don't look down

A few more shots of the Croisette collection (makeup4all.com):

fashion insider

Lovely colors

24-04-2012
don't look down

A look at the warmer eyeshadow palette (temptalia.com):

Quote:
Dior Aurora Eyeshadow Palette ($60.00 for 0.24 oz.) is a limited edition five-shade palette for summer. The shades were inspired by the emblems of the French Riviera. It’s really rich, deep, and filled with warm tones.

The shade in the upper left corner is a rich, molten orange-gold with a soft frosted finish and excellt color payoff. Bare Escentuals Remix is yellower, not as dark. Chanel Blazing Gold is lighter, paler. MAC Goldmine is a bit more golden. Inglot #430 is yellower. Urban Decay Honey is yellower and not at all orange. MAC Juiced was the closest I could find, though it’s more orange.

The shade in the upper right corner is a medium-dark brown with subtle red undertones. It has good pigmentation. It is actually similar to quite a few shades! MAC Havana is just slightly deeper and has a stronger red undertone. Buxom Golden Retriever is just a smidgen warmer. Benefit Dandy Brandy seems nearly the same. MAC Roasted Chestnut has a stronger red undertone. MAC Buckwheat is less golden. MAC Make Your Mark is darker.

The center shade is a pale, icy pink with a subtle blue undertone. It looked almost yellow-toned in the pan, but it looked rather cool against my skin tone. The color payoff is decent to good, though slightly sheer. MAC Joy & Laughter is similar, slightly more lilac. Dior Garden Roses is slightly darker. Dior Garden Pastels is very, very similar. Tarina Tarantino Diamond Dusk is also incredibly similar.

The shade in the bottom left corner is a beige-peach with a slight iridescent sheen. It had decent pigmentation but was a bit sheer when swatched. It was slightly better when applied to the lid/eye. Inglot #330 is similar but peachier and matte. Giorgio Armani #1 Madreperla had a simialr shade but it was lighter, less yellow. MAC Dazzlelight is a bit lighter. MAC Vanilla is lighter, less yellowed. Urban Decay Skimp is similar but doesn’t have the same sheen.

The shade in the bottom right corner is a medium-dark orange with a subtle dusting of gold micro-shimmer and a satiny sheen. It had pretty good color payoff. MAC Rule is similar but has a matte finish. Dolce & Gabbana Cocoa is slightly lighter. MAC Fresh Daily is very similar. Milani Primary has a similar orange shade as well.

This kind of palette is very effortless to use on warmer complexions–the colors complement not only each other but warm skin tone in a very obvious way. There has certainly been a fair number of gold/copper/bronze eyeshadow palettes on the market, so while this one is lovely in its own right, it’s not exactly a unique color combination. It’s practical, wearable, and something that would work well for summer-themed looks. Cooler complexions may find there are too many orange-based shades here to be as instantly flattering, but like anything, it’s workable if you want it to make it work–usually by pairing it with the right cheek/lip. For instance, I wear cool-toned products but have to pay attention more closely to coordinating shades.

The pink is kind of a weird addition; it doesn’t really go with the palette, and I think its overall paleness makes it less functional. If it were a shade that perhaps contrasted more, it could add a complex dimension to the look. You could certainly do a combination where the pink is the lightest shade and then graduated from orange-gold to copper/brown. I think a coral would have been a nice shade to have mixed in.

The texture of these is soft, finely-milled, and very smooth. They’re dense and buttery, and they aren’t too powdery, which is something that Dior’s eyeshadows can sometimes suffer from. Because of their soft, finely-milled texture, they blend easily on the lid and with each other. Without a primer, these shades wore for eight hours with very faint fading around the edges. With a primer, these shades wore for ten hours with very faint fading around the edges. Overall, the color payoff was good to great.

don't look down

But it looks so colourful in the palette! (temptalia.com):

Quote:
Dior Swimming Pool Eyeshadow Palette ($60.00 for 0.24 oz.) is one of two limited edition summer eyeshadow palettes from the brand, and while Aurora soared, Swimming Pool sinks (couldn’t resist!).

The upper left shade is an iridescent pink-peach with sheer color. It had a powdery texture, though it wasn’t as bad as other shades in the palette. Tarina Tarantino DIamond Dusk is similar but has no peach. Bobbi Brown Black Ruby ends up looking similar because it’s also very sheer. Make Up For Ever #940 is very similar but has a much stronger duochrome.

The upper right shade is a pale silver with sheer color payoff and a powdery finish. Tarina Tarantino Lovely has a similar silver but has a more frosted finish. Guerlain Les Aquas is similar but has a more metallic finish.

The center shade is a light-medium sky blue with a mostly matte finish. It is very powdery, and it’s one of the most pigmented out of the five–but it’s still on the sheer side and impossible to build up on the lid. I wore this in the crease, and I kept going back (four times!) to get mediocre color payoff. The powdery texture makes this extremely easy to blend into oblivion–it just disappears as soon as you attempt to soften the edge. Buxom Husky is a smidgen lighter. NYX Cool Blue is darker. MAC Styledriven is very similar but has a frosted finish. Inglot #367 is lighter.

The lower left shade is a seafoam green to the eye, but when applied, it’s a sheer iridescent aqua that seems to bunch up on itself and disappear in sections. It doesn’t like to blend, and it doesn’t apply evenly. Giorgio Armani Airy Jade was the most similar, though it’s more metallic. Cle de Peau #112 doesn’t have the same finish. Lancome Fashion Forward is greener.

The lower right shade is a pale, frosted beige–the high metallic finish makes it appear almost white, though. This was the other more pigmented shade in the palette, though it’s still on the sheerer side. The texture was also the least powdery. Dolce & Gabbana Jewels seemed the closest.

This palette is characterized by two things: sheer and chalky. Let’s throw in powdery, too, because nearly every shade kicks up a ton of excess powder even when you barely touch your brush to the pan. When I applied these eyeshadows to the lid over a primer and over bare lids, I still couldn’t get much color payoff, and they didn’t want to blend. The aqua shade disappeared and looked so uneven. The blue shade insisted on looking like a pale, pasty blue. I’m about medium in color, but it’s horrific on me–the chalkiness is just emphasized and exacerbated with the genuine chalky base of the shades. I think the only people who could possibly wear this would be really pale skin tones. What little manages to apply to the lid wears so-so; it seems a little faded after six hours or so both with and without a primer.

Swimming Pool may be one of the worst palettes I’ve come across from Dior. I can’t get over how powdery the finishes are, how sheer the colors were, and how they didn’t want to stick to the eye at all. I can only think of one compliment: it was a nice combination of colors in theory, but the execution was awful. I typically don’t return products I buy for review, since I get my “use” out of them, but this makes me want to reconsider that policy and get my $60 back. I’ll have to settle for letting all of you know to check this out in person first!

don't look down

Lots of muted and earthy shades in the Autumn 2012 collection (makeup4all.com):

Quote:
Dior’s Fall 2012 makeup collection Golden Jungle

The star products are two lips and eyes palettes which are called Golden Jungle Palettes and come in Golden Browns and Golden Kakis variations.

Other products for eyes are 5 Couleurs Designer in khaki and two 3 Couleurs Glow palettes in Ivory Glow and Nude Glow.

There are also four new Dior Addict shades in Wild, Instinct, Fatale, Daring and two new shades of Diorblush.

As for the nail polishes, Dior will bring out five new shades: gold, khaki, brown and a crackle duo.

don't look down

A look at the crackle duo from this collection (britishbeautyblogger.com):

Quote:
Dior 2012 Golden Jungle Nail Effect

I know nail bloggers are giving a collective sigh of despair as Dior are so on the tail end of this trend with their crackle polish. However, Golden Jungle Nail Effect is genuinely a brilliant crackle; probably the best I've used because it even gives visible texture as well. If you want a wider, more croc-style crackle, the tip is to use a generous slick of polish, but if you like it a bit finer, more snakey, then use less. I've got a bit of a mix of both - I'd like to say by design, but more by luck!

I did notice that it takes really quite a long time to crackle up - about ten to fifteen minutes to be finished with the cracking effect so don't start this if you're in a rush!

don't look down

It seems that the centre shade in this 5 Couleurs is more of a glittery wash than a pigmented highlight (temptalia.com):

Quote:
Dior Golden Savannah Eyeshadow Palette ($59.00 for 0.21 oz.) is a new and limited edition eyeshadow palette inspired by the jungle for the fall season. It contanis five shades: a yellowed medium brown, coppered bronze, glittering platinum, dark brown, and deeper brown.

The first color (upper left corner) is a medium brown with yellowy tan and a soft gold sheen. The color payoff was excellent, and it had such a nice softness to it, which resulted in a really smooth application of color. NARS Paramaribo is darker. theBalm Schitoz is similar, a smidgen lighter. Wet ‘n’ Wild Comfort Zone is close, slightly less yellow-toned. MAC Wedge is darker, no yellow. MAC Soba is close–a smidgen less yellow in the base color. MAC Double Feature 4 is pretty close but slightly darker–it shares the yellowness, though.

Next, we have a warm-toned, coppery bronze with a soft frosted finish. It has nice pigmentation with opaque results and a smooth, soft feel and application. This kind of color, though, is incredibly common, even if this particular shade is more subdued than a lot of other coppery hues. Urban Decay Snakebite is a little darker. Bare Escentuals Cognac is less copper. Urban Decay Baked is very comparable. MAC Bronze is a bit darker. Inglot #405 is more metallic.

The center shade is a metallic platinum with a silvery-gold shimmer and glitter. It’s very reflective, and it’s sheer. Truth be told, it feels and acts like a layering shade. It has a sheerness that seems like it was deliberate so you could use it over the other shades in the palette, but I can’t confirm this, as it’s not part of the description of this palette or of Dior’s 5-Couleur palettes in general. When I wore it, I tested it over another shade in the palette, and surprisingly, there was very little fallout after application. MAC Manila Paper is similar but has no silver. Make Up For Ever #101 is very similar but more opaque. Dior Couture Gold has a shade nearly like it in the center as well.

In the bottom right corner, there is a medium-dark olive-tonted brown with an almost cool undertone (but there is definite warmth). The color payoff is fairly good, and the texture was soft and applied smoothly. Giorgio Armani #24 is darker. Urban Decay Cobra is darker and more matte. Urban Decay Deeper is comparable.

The fnial shade is a dark brown with a subtle gray tinge that makes it look like a neutral-toned brown. It has a soft sheen. This shade was slightly drier than the others, but the color payoff was still good, and it did apply evenly. Inglot #409 is more metallic. Urban Decay MIA is a bit darker. Tarina Tarantino Dreamy is very similar.

What I didn’t love about this palette was the same thing as Guerlain Les Fauves: the colors are too alike. If you have a good-sized stash and are applying makeup at home, it’s not a big deal, but if you only want to take this palette and maybe one other for traveling, then it’s a little less ideal. This palette has a lot of brown, but they’re on the darker end of the spectrum–a beige or light-medium olive green could have worked exceptionally well in this palette. Aside from the sheerness of the center shade, the palette was high quality from the pigmentation to the texture to the wear. I had no fading or creasing (and very, very little glitter fall out from the center shade) over a twelve-hour period.

don't look down

Apparently there are some retro-looking nail varnishes and lipsticks for Dior Holiday 2012 collection (beauty-staff.livejournal.com):

don't look down

A look at one of the nail varnishes - cute packaging but poor performance, it seems (temptalia.com):

Quote:
A Gold By Many, Many Names

Dior Diorling Diorific Vernis ($26.00 for 0.40 fl. oz.) is a sheer, shimmering champagne gold with flecks of copper-red. I’m pretty sure this is a renamed version of Golden Light (also known as Golden Era and or Lumiere or #207), and while it may be called Diorling, the number is #207. China Glaze Jingle Bells has a similar coloring, but it’s opaque and does not have any red shimmer/sparkle. Chanel Diwali is more of an antique gold (less yellow). OCC Cruising is a stronger yellow gold and has a lot more shimmer/glitter. Readers mentioned some great dupe potentials here as well!

After two coats, it’s still rather sheer. Without a color description from Dior, it’s hard to say what they were aiming for. I prefer to err on the side of a lower grade rather than give a brand the benefit of the doubt, but you may prefer this kind of sheer look. The consistency was on the thicker side–thicker than the version I had previously–which did cause a little unevenness in the texture of the polish as it applied. I did get some pooling along the sides, too. There are noticeable brush strokes from the metallic finish of the polish that become more visible under harsher light. I don’t have any wear problems with Dior’s formula and typically see a week with minor tip wear and no chipping.

Since it was released previously, you can pick up the color in regular Dior packaging as well. If you go that route, it’s less expensive at $23, but it does contain less product (0.33 fl. oz. compared to 0.40 fl. oz.). I think the regular packaging makes for easier application, but the packaging on this one may strongly sway some. It’s not comfortable to use to apply the actual polish, though the brush wasn’t the normal wider brush of Dior’s polish. The bottle I have from before seemed to apply better. There are three other shades coming in this limited edition, holiday packaging, though–so maybe one of those will perform better!

Sheerness aside, the consistency and application of the polish were problematic, so it's not a shade I'd feel good about recommending.

don't look down

Much better results from another shade in this range (temptalia.com):

Quote:
Dior Diva Diorific Vernis ($26.00 for 0.40 fl. oz.) is a deep, dark black with just a hint of brown and multi-colored flecks of shimmer in fuchsia, gold, and bronze. China Glaze Midtown Magic is browner and has more shimmer. Dior Czarina Gold is also browner and has a lot more shimmer–also has a few bits of green sparkle. Chanel Strong almost similar in natural light, but it has a berry tone to it.

Now this shade is one that just might be worth picking up to get your hands on the packaging and feel good about doing so. I think the way it looks in the bottle is gorgeous–all dark and foreboding with lots and lots of shimmer catching the light. More importantly, it performs beautifully. The consistency is just right, so it’s not so thick that it pools or bubbles, but it’s not so thin that you have to sacrifice pigmentation. It’s fully opaque after two coats, and it dries down a bit faster than average and finishes with a natural shine. (For really glossy nails, I would still use a top coat.) I typically get a full week of wear out of Dior’s polishes with no chipping and just minor tip wear. It’s not a cinch to apply with the little cap of a handle, but at least what’s inside the bottle is quite nice.

I think this is an unexpected color and combination for the holidays that's still festive and delightful. The formula was nice to work with, and it had opaque coverage in two coats.

Making a Mess

^ Oh I love that rich black nail varnish but the one above it not so much. The shade isn't very appealing.

tfs star

I admit that I'm a Chanel girl when it comes to these two brands (I keep comparing Chanel and Dior, don't know why), but I have to say that my personal favourite lately has been Dior Addict lipstick in Hollywood Rose.
The Iconic mascara is also very nice!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
dior, makeup