How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

31-10-2011
don't look down

Another one of the duochrome/metallic nail varnishes from the Holiday collection - I'm fascinated with how it looks in the bottle, but it seems to come out as a different colour on the nail (temptalia.com):

Quote:
Dior Apparat (871) Nail Lacquer ($22.00 for 0.33 fl. oz.) is a new and limited edition shade in time for the holidays. The bottle of Apparat doesn’t look like it does in the promotional photos, but it doesn’t look like the bottle color on the nails either. The resulting color on the nails is actually comparable to what one would have expected, based on the promotional photos, so I guess it works out in the end.

In the bottle, it has a very coppery burgundy brown look. On nails, it’s a deep red with ruby and gold shimmer and a slightly metallic finish. The metallic finish enables some brush strokes to be seen, but it’s very subtle and barely noticeable in natural light. I wish the golden shimmer danced a little more in the light than it actually does; it reads less like something special as it does just a shimmery garnet hue. The color is reminiscent of Zoya Karina but with finer shimmer.

Dior’s formula wears a week on me with minor tip wear but no chipping. Apparat had a really nice, even flow and it was opaque in almost one coat, though I did two for good measure. The brush is larger than the average brush, and it’s tapered at the top, which works if you have larger nail beds, but if you have really petite ones, you may find it difficult. I like it, and it makes it easy to avoid too many brush strokes and do one or two pulls per nail.

02-11-2011
don't look down

Not at all fond of this metallic from the Holiday collection - certainly not with that finish at that price (same source):
Quote:
Dior Or Divin (221) Nail Lacquer ($22.00 for 0.33 fl. oz.) is the brand’s take on your traditional holiday gold, which is part of its recently launched holiday collection. It’s new but limited edition. Or Divin is a pale yellow gold with a part metallic, part shimmer finish. It’s a bit warmer compared to NARS Versailles but much paler and less orange compared to Chanel Gold Lame.

You can see the threads of gold shimmer running through the color as well as visible brush strokes. I used two coats, and there was a fair amount of visible nail line; a third coat would have softened it still, but I don’t think it would have eliminated it. The color didn’t apply as evenly as I would have liked; it seemed to sheer out as it was pulled, even with waiting between coats.

FINAL THOUGHTS
I wasn't impressed by the color payoff or the general application for Or Divin. It's nice that it has a less metallic finish than many holiday golds, and it's not as orange-toned, so cooler complexions would be able to wear this one, too.

fashion elite

^ wow that looks BAAAAAD.

don't look down

Another look at Exquis from the Holiday collection, it's another colour that seems more promising in the bottle than when applied on the nail - although some might say, how exciting can a muddy brown get? (temptalia.com):

Quote:
Dior Exquis (611) Vernis Nail Lacquer ($22.00 for 0.33 oz.) is a murky brown–it’s not quite taupe; it seems too brown to be taupe–with muted golden shimmer threaded through the color. It was opaque in two coats. Dior’s formula lasts a week on me with minor tip wear (with a base/top coat–I use Zoya Anchor and Armor). For a brown, it’s not overly warm, so I think cooler skin tones may find it a workable brown. The lightness of it should also help with wearability. I think the addition of the golden shimmer keeps it on-trend without being overkill. Exquis applied easily without being too thick or thin, so it flowed evenly across the nail bed and didn’t bubble or streak.

China Glaze Street Chic has a very similar base color, though it’s slightly less murky. Rescue Beauty Lounge Decorous is a bit lighter and cooler-toned. China Glaze Ingrid is similar in overall color and shimmer, but it is several shades darker.

don't look down

This Holiday collection seems to be full of gold products that really do not perform to the expectations you'd have from a premium brand - this one doesn't do much on its own, and for layering over other shades, you could find something similar for half the cost (same source):

Quote:
Dior Or Etoile (217) Rouge Dior Lip Color ($32.00 for 0.12 oz.) is one of four new and limited edition holiday lip colors from Dior. This shade is a sheer, warm yellow gold with pale gold shimmer. It has a high-shine finish. On lips, it brightens and lightens, while adding warmth and shimmer, but as expected from its sheer swatch, it doesn’t provide much color. I couldn’t think of a lipstick that was quite like this, but it was reminiscent of MAC Luxure, which is a lipgloss, though it is not as warm. NARS Albatross, which is another lipgloss, is also very similar, but it has a glossier finish.

Though Dior lists it as long-wearing, I’d have to disagree; Or Etoile seems to disappear after three hours! The formula on this one is creamy enough to glide across lips and deposits a healthy amount of shimmer on the lips. On the upside, for such a frosted color, it didn’t feel drying over the three hours I wore it.

FINAL THOUGHTS
This kind of lipstick works best for layering, even if it's just with clear gloss, because it will bring it altogether. I wish it wore longer, though, especially for a formula touted as long-wearing.

don't look down

At least you can rely more on their 5 Couleurs compacts... possibly my most favourite item in a GWP is when Dior gives away mini quints (same source):

Quote:
Dior Couture Gold (554) 5 Couleurs Eyeshadow Palette ($59.00 for 0.21 oz.) is a limited edition palette for the holidays that contains five shades, which tend to skew on the warmer side and keep in the spirit of all things glittery, glam, and metallic.

The first shade, on the upper left, is a white gold with a frosted finish. It has good color payoff and a really soft, buttery texture. This particular shade has several viable dupes: Tarina Tarantino Dreamy, Urban Decay Zephyr, Bare Escentuals Breathtaking, and MAC Manila Paper. Opposite that, on the upper right, is a burnt gold–more orange than yellow kind of gold–with a frosted, metallic finish and sheen. The pigmentation is good, and the eyeshadow feels silky soft. It’s similar in color to Urban Decay Blunt, Milani Drenched in Gold, and Bare Escentuals Aspire.

In the middle of the palette is a pale, sparkling gold with a really glimmering finish. The texture is a bit gritty, because this shade has more of a glitter finish than anything else. I didn’t think it was going to hold up well on the eye, but surprisingly, the fall out was minimal (and surprisingly little for this type of finish). The color seems similar to MAC Femme-fi but the finishes are completely different. It’s also similar to Bobbi Brown Gold Bar and MAC Nylon. This shade is yellower than the shade on the upper left of this palette.

On the bottom left, there is a very dark brown with flecks of ruby and gold shimmer. The texture of this is the type that separates the base color from the sparkle on top; the brown shade is dry, powdery, and only so-so in delivering true-to-pan color payoff, while the overlying sparkle tends to get lost when the shade is actually applied to the eyes. These shades are similar though the color of the sparkle differs slightly: Bobbi Brown Black Gold, Tarina Tarantino Dreamy, MAC Legendary, and Wet ‘n’ Wild Comfort Zone. The last shade, which can be found on the bottom right, is a lightened copper with a golden sheen. The texture is really soft and smooth, and the hue has good color payoff. It’s not as copper as Urban Decay Limelight.

Couture Gold is a warm-toned palette, but it doesn’t contain a lot of strong yellow or orange-based shades, so it should be wearable on cooler complexions. This palette was a sleeper hit for me; I didn’t think I’d love it, even though it is pretty, but the way it comes together works really, really well.

backstage pass

That lipstick looks really nice. Wish it wasn't so expensive though.

fashion elite

ooh love the shades in that 5 coleurs compact.

I think its the only thing I ever buy from dior cosmetics, eyeshadow and mascara.

rising star

I love all of it.
Their line of skincare products are also absolutely fantastic. I received 3 bottles of Dior One Essential last year and it left my skin glowing. I also purchased the Base Mascara Lash Primer Serum a few weeks ago and they do wonders with adding volume to lashes.

don't look down

A peek at Dior's Spring 2012 collection (makeup4all.com):

Quote:
Dior Garden Party Makeup Collection for Spring 2012

Christian Dior once said: “After women, flowers are the most lovely things God has given the world.”

Mr. Dior used to have amazing parties which were called “Grand Balls of the Century” at his rose garden in Normandy.

And this Spring Tyen, isnpired by the beautiful flowers from the garden, created the Garden Party collection full of pastel lilac, rose and lime shades decorated with stunning floral prints.

This collection inludes:

Dior Garden Clutch (Limited Edition), £55.00
  • 001 Milly Garden, pays tribute to the couturier’s country house, and presents a contrast of pink and silvery blue with a violet-tinged grey for the eyes and fresh pinks to enhance the lips.
  • 002 Granville Garden, leads you down to the cliff-top rose garden, revealing precious pink and pale green shades accentuated by a deep brown, to emphasise eyes and complement the apricot-tinged, “pink kiss” lip shades.
5 Couleurs Garden Edition (Limited Edition) £41.00
  • 441 Garden Pastels, harmony, which floats between flowers and foliage with its pale pink, buttercup yellow and luminous greens.
  • 841 Garden Roses, harmony, which is a vision of romantic pinks, Parma violet and silver, accentuated by a dramatic purple.
3 Couleurs Smoky Eyeshadow £32.00
  • 461 Smoky Garden (Limited Edition)
  • 961 Smoky Violet
Rouge Dior Haute Couleur £22.50
  • 363 Corolle Pink (Limited Edition)
  • 448 Tulip Pink
Dior Addict Ultra Gloss £20.00
  • 152 Socialite Pink (Limited Edition)
  • 369 Party Lilac (Limited Edition)
  • 452 Pretty Rose
Rouge Dior Serum de Rouge £25.00
  • 255 Pink

don't look down

And a look at the 'Garden Pastels' 5 Couleurs (temptalia.com):

Quote:
Dior Garden Pastels Eyeshadow Palette ($59.00 for 0.16 oz.) is described as “pale pink, buttercup yellow, and luminous greens.” It’s new and limited edition just in time for spring. It’s slightly lighter compared to the usual Dior eyeshadow palette, which has 0.21 oz., while this palette only has 0.16 oz. I suspect it is due to the consistency difference somehow, since it doesn’t seem less full or smaller compared to other Dior eyeshadow palettes.

The shade on the upper left of the palette is a yellowy green with a soft, frosted finish. The color payoff is good, and the texture is very smooth, though there’s a little dryness to it. If you’ve played with Estee Lauder’s Cyber Eyes eyeshadows, you’ll know what I’m talking about. It’s dry, but still very soft and smooth, and while dry, it’s not powdery.

On the upper right of the palette, the shade is a bright frosted white with good color payoff and a smooth, soft feel. There’s not a lot to the color–it’s a neutral white, not too cool- or warm-toned, so there are a fair amount of white eyeshadow dupes.

The center shade is a soft pastel pink with a silver shimmer. It has decent to good pigmentation, but there is some underlying sheerness. The texture is nice and smooth, though.

On the bottom left, there is a pale yellow with a frosted finish that’s just slightly metallic. This shade had the best color payoff of the five shades; really dense and opaque.

The last shade on the bottom right of the palette is a green-tinted blue with a green-gold shimmer-sheen. It has decent color payoff, but like the center shade, it has underlying sheerness.

The texture of this palette is definitely different compared to previous iterations of Dior’s five-pan palettes. I don’t think it’s a departure from their typical formula but something in particular for the spring collection. Part of it may have been necessary to incorporate the design, but it’s certainly not an unwelcome or bad different! The drier consistency feels off at first, but it works well on the lid.

The new palette for spring doesn’t have much in the way of a description, but based on Dior’s other five-pan palettes, their eyeshadows are supposed to have rich, versatile colors that are “designed for easy application and long wear.” The drier consistency definitely helps these wear longer without creasing (without the aid of a primer), though I did find there was some slight fading after eight hours.

FINAL THOUGHTS
I like it, though perhaps not am not in love with it, since there are some sheerer shades in the palette. Everything has a fairly shimmered finish, so you may want to mix and match with other finishes to create more dimension. When worn together, it can feel like frost overload, depending on which shades you use! I went for the most obvious combination for testing: yellow, green, and blue/teal.

V.I.P.

i want someone to report on the nailpolish. they're supposed to smell of roses or something...

22-01-2012
don't look down

There's a limited edition trio of purple nail polishes coming up... (makeup4all.com):

Quote:
Les Vernis Violets Hypnotiques

Christian Dior described purple as a demanding and sophisticated shade: the “king of colours.”

‘From the iconic lilac worn by the couturier’s muse Mitzah Bricard to the deepest aubergine shade adorning the legendary bottle of the Poison fragrance, purple comes in endless shapes and forms in the Dior world. Floral, it is a fashion echo of the mysterious beauty of the iris and clematis.’
  • Its intense, shimmering version: Shadow (Dior Vernis No. 783)
  • The sensual, luminous aubergine shade of Orchid (Dior Vernis No. 981)
  • The deep, enchanting purple of Poison (Dior Vernis No. 996)
The three Limited Edition “Les Violets Hypnotiques” nail lacquers by Dior will be available from February 2012 in the Christian Dior boutique at 30 avenue Montaigne as well as selected retailers worldwide.

fashion elite

^ Divine! Deep and fatal

31-01-2012
V.I.P.

I love the spring makeup collection! The clutch is already on my wishlist- it's just too beautiful to resist.

temptalia

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
dior, makeup