How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-05-2006
front row

Do people still wear powder?
I stopped wearing powder a few years ago because I kept reading that it was "passe" but I was thinking of going back to it in the hopes of prolonging my foundation- however I'm not sure how it will go with cream and liquid blushes, etc. Would you powder before or after the blush, or are the two just not compatible? Also, what are some good powders? Thanks!

08-05-2006
backstage pass

I have really oily skin and I use maybelline powder finish foundation and it works really well. It lasts long and keeps your face perfectly matte. The only people I know who use powder are over 50 but I don't see why you can't still wear it if it's what works for you. And about the blush, I'm pretty sure you put it on before the powder because the powder sets everything.

08-05-2006
tfs star

Hi Sylphide, beautiful name...

Foundation>>cream/liquid blush>>loose powder

is the way to go.

A powdery face is passé, but powder itself is more or less a necessity...try a fine, subtly iridescent loose powder applied very lightly w/ a large brush (not a puff, since you get too much and looks cakey) which will help set the foundation and blush and prevent you going from glowing to greasy...if you do it correctly you won't even notice it. Check the powders and foundations thread or the makeupalley.com for recs, try and see what works w/your skin, foundation, and personal taste...you'll be set! Hope that helps!

edit: if you moisturize well, use an extra dewy foundation like Vitalumiere and a subtly iridescent loose powder it will look the most youthful and natural.

Last edited by Melisande; 08-05-2006 at 07:51 PM.
08-05-2006
V.I.P.

I used to use Stila Illuminating Powder foundation for the longest time. But switched, and now devoted fan of LAURA MERCIER powder foundation. I highly recommend it. It's awesome, and has staying Power!

08-05-2006
front row

I use powder! I find Maybelline Shine Free loose powder stops my t-zone from getting too shiny during the day, and it does make the make-up last longer. I use Benefit's Benetint blush, and powder after i apply blush. Sometimes i need to apply a light dust of powder blush over the top, but usually its fine HTH!

09-05-2006
rising star

Any powder is good as long as it's blended in well. I hate to look 'greasy' and 'shiny' without it.

09-05-2006
fashion icon

I use a matte foundation but I put on powder after a couple of hours when I start looking a little shiny.. I don´t concern myself too much with what is considered passé in the make-up world though..

09-05-2006
adi
fashion insider

my skin gets oily very easily during the day so yes i do use powder. it also attches the foundation to it's right place so powder is my saviour

09-05-2006
little soul

I think powder can be a very useful product. On a big night out, it will help set your makeup, but when you want to go au naturel, just a little powder and concealer will be all you need. I think that powders have really moved on, and many are very very light so you don't need to worry about a 'cakey' look. Also, some contain shimmer which can give a very subtle glow. In the Becca Makeup Threadthere's an interview with the creator of that brand, and some information about their powders.

09-05-2006
V.I.P.

I use powder and no, I'm no where near 50! I've got really oily skin and using a bit of powder goes a long way especially on the T zone. But I never retouch with powder during the day because I feel that just blotting and adding powder will make the face cakey. I only blot during the day.

09-05-2006
Meg
inspired contemplation

I miss using powder but just haven't gotten around to buying more. I find it's really one of the best ways to get absolutely flawless looking skin. That said, the older you get, a cheaper powder is generally the way to go. The more expensive powders tend to be more finely refinded/milled which means that they get into 'cracks' in your skin more and show up.

09-05-2006
trendsetter

I would never be without my Cle de Peau loose powder A face doesn't seem "finished" until it's set with powder.

Once during the day I use Boscia Rose Linen Papers to blot if needed...but the Cle de Peau does wonders for keeping the shine away.

09-05-2006
front row

I use Biotherm silky powder to set my foundation. If you go for special event in the evening you have to put powder... otherwise your make up is not perfect.

09-05-2006
backstage pass

I use powder, but actually I don't wear make-up very often.

10-05-2006
trendsetter

If you have oily skin, you have to wear powder. Who said it was passe? it IS a necessary makeup step.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
people, powder, wear