Eczema and Other Skin Disorders - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-04-2006
rising star

Help! Eczema
anybody who also suffers from eczyma due to the dry winter weather ? any good suggestions to prevent.

18-04-2006
tfs star

Unfortunately I don't know too much about excema. I've heard Glycomed, which you can buy in Target is really really effective at preventing and treating that.

18-04-2006
fashion elite

Not sure how to prevent, but if you have it and want to treat it, your best bet would be go to a derm. My mom has it, and I occassionally do, and she gets all these lotions from the dermatologist

18-04-2006
Midnight blooms.........

I have terrible psoriasis in my eyebrows and I've just started using "egyptian Magi healing cream". It's working quite well, you could try that

scenester

I've had eczema for almost 10 years now, and I've tried everything. It's been really bad, and now (knock on wood) it's more managable. Don't take this as medical advice, but merely a voice of experience. I've been to dermatologists and have had cortisone shots which were very helpful when I have a bad flare up. I've used topical steriods for unsightly rashes, they were helpful at the time too. But now when I look back when I first had an eczematic rash it was just a small one inch patch on my arm. They as I used topical steroids it conicidently spread to my face, legs, back and soon scalp. As if almost the eczema was looking for other spots to pop up where treatment wasn't applied. Be extra cautious when using cortisones. I've noticed more improvement the less dependent i've become with the topical creams. But I have to make sure i eat right, otherwise my skin reacts badly. A lot of what you eat has an effect on your skin. Dont over moisturize either, use a humidifier, take short lukewarm showers don't wear itchy fabrics like wool

19-04-2006
dsq
backstage pass

from what i remember in class:

-avoid extreme temperatures
-increase the humidity in your house
-avoid stress
-use mild soaps when showering or bathing
-apply a good hydrater after you shower such as glysomed as someone already said or an emollient such as aquaphor
-wear clothes made of cotton (avoid wool as someone said already and nylon)
-buy some hydrocortisone from the pharmacy on the red scaly areas to reduce itching and inflammation
-you can also use a wet compress on for one minute and off for one minute to relieve the itching
-certain foods such as eggs, wheat, soy, and fish may aggravate the condition but not always.
-go see your doctor!!

19-04-2006
front row

Most people in my family get it. I just use hydrocortisone cream. I don't know if it works the best though.

19-04-2006
rising star

Thanks everybody for the advises !! I almost did what you folks have suggested, use mild soap like cetaphil, put a humidifier in my room, use topical cream etc etc. I tried to avoid cortisone cream as it may have side effects like discoloration etc etc. Sometimes i take my allergy pills recommended by the family doctor in order to sleep better and stop scratching the affected areas in bedtime.

and I hate the dark brown spots caused by the eczyma. I have friends who have eczyma on their face, thats even worst !!

20-04-2006
tfs star

i have eczema and the best thing for mine is an over the counter paste called betnovate ointment. its got betamethasone valerate in it in a very small quanitity so it takes a little while to take hold but when it does youll notice the difference in days. its fabulous but it can be a little heavy when i need it for my face as its oil based! Thats the only prob ive found with it though.

21-04-2006
backstage pass

What are the symptoms of eczema? I'll do some research besides here, but it would be nice if I could "hear" some real accounts from fellow tFS'ers.
I have developed some red, dry little spots on my face and I'm wondering if that's it... the spots only itch occasionally, but they've been there for about 6-7 weeks now, have spread a bit, and some of them are close to my one eye which is a bit worrisome.

Last edited by Browneyes; 21-04-2006 at 08:03 AM.
21-04-2006
scenester

it could be eczema, it does itch but the spreading could also be caused impetigo. see your doctor!

22-04-2006
tfs star

if you scratch then it is likely to spread. i had it on my leg and it moved to my face after i scratched and touched my face not noticing. Learn from my experience if you touch the infected area wash your hands straight after. As to the impetigo thing - i thought i had that at first but the doctor said it was actually exzema. apparently they can have very similar symptoms. Exzema is usually quite dry though

22-04-2006
tea time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninins
it could be eczema, it does itch but the spreading could also be caused impetigo. see your doctor!
i've had impetigo and it only spreads to where there is a wound or spot because the skin needs to be broken for the infection to get in. also impetigo looks like blisters and are well very 'juicy' (was the only way i could think to describe it).

but i think a doctor is always the best way to figure out what it is especially if your worried.

http://cedricandfanny.blogspot.com/
23-04-2006
windowshopping

i've had eczema for over 16 years. (i'm 18 now). my eczema is the extreme case and it's bad. i've been to many doctors since i was little and even traveled oversea to find a doctor. there's obviously no cure for eczema but there are ways you to controll it.

i've been on medication ever since i was little. right now, it's calm. i'm using an oitment called protopic. find a dermo. and have she/he help you find the right medicine to calm down the eczema. g'luck.

23-04-2006
rising star

ughhh, I HATE ECZEMA
I've had it since I was really small and my doctor said that it's closely linked with asthma which runs in my family, but i got the eczema instead. when i was small i used to get behind my knees and the other side of my elbow, but then it stopped for years. it's just come back and the last 4 years or so and i get it mainly on my neck, but it just itches in small 50p-size patches and people always think i've got lovebites and it's so annoying and extremely embaressing. when i say i've got eczema they just say "yeah yeah" i also get it at my hairline at the back of my neck and so i never like to wear my hair up.
i've used the chortisone creams but youre only supposed to use them for about a week until it clears up because it thins your skin, but when i stop it just starts up again. sometime as well i get really itchy and puffy eyes and my doctor said that it's probably to do with the eczema. he keeps giving me things but they all work temporarily but as soon as i stop using them it flares up again

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
disorders, eczema, skin