How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-02-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misssakura
d) Bananas. Strawberries. Any fruit is good but I like the fruit I can nibble. Strawberries are probably my favourite.
I find berries good, esp like cranberries as they are naturally very sweet. And they're good for you too!
I like smoothies as well, they're a good substitutes for sugary drinks (although some do contain a lot of sugar so make sure you read whatís in them first)

04-02-2007
tfs star

I've been mostly winning my battle against sugar for the past few years. Sugar makes me break out, so sheer terror keeps me in check:p .

I don't find it hard anymore unless I am extremely exhausted and PMS'ing, or served a gourmet dessert.
However I do keep a stash of sugar-free Belgian dark chocolate and Reese's pieces

I love baking but have found that making apple pie with whole wheat and no sugar tastes so much better. Macrobiotics teaches correctly that maple, rice and malt syrups, fruit juices and unrefined beet sugar are the best sweeteners so I use these in my cooking instead. (Honey still spikes the blood sugar level.)

For those of you who still get constant cravings I seriously recommend going cold turkey not only white sugar but white bread, white rice, and honey until cravings subside. Once you get to like the taste of whole grains, refined counterparts taste almost violently sweet. It won't take long. After that, you can have a taste here and there.

And kindi I totally understand where you're coming from, it's not healthy to cut out all carbs or fats. There are good carbs and fats which are necessary for our bodies. However, refined sugar is a completely different story: it has zero nutrients and wreaks havoc on our endocrine , digestive system, and circulatory systems, liver, and brain, not to mention it is as addictive as many illegal drugs, and causes fatal illnesses such as diabetes. If it were up to me I would make it illegal except for medicinal purposes and a few French patissiers .

Last edited by Melisande; 04-02-2007 at 09:41 AM.
04-02-2007
front row

I am trying to do something similar--in terms of not actively trying to diet or lose weight, but simply to be healthier. I started at the start of the year and am actually sticking to it, thanks in large part to starting a food diary. It isn't a hassle, helps keep me accountable for what I eat and also keeps portion control in check (eg, holy crap! maybe I didn't need that 15th pizza roll after all? lol).

Anyway, as far as cutting out sugar, I have two remedies that I don't think have been mentioned on here yet:

1. If you crave something sweet, eat a pickle. Seriously. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but apparently, it satiates the same taste buds that something sweet does.

2. If you really do want something sweet, eat a dried fig. It's SUPER sweet, yummy, chock full of vitamins women need but often don't get enough of (potassium, iron) and is only 45 cal apiece, which is an added bonus.

Good luck!

04-02-2007
fashion icon

^ The pickle thing is soooo true.

V.I.P.

eliminate sugar?
never!

04-02-2007
backstage pass

I don't usually crave sugar and therefore I don't consume much of it, but I don't feel like I am denying it to myself. Although I've noticed that if I have something sweet like say ice cream (my great weakness) two days in a row, my body starts craving it, and that seriously scares me. When this happens I usually go on a sugar detox for a week or so, where I have no sugar what so ever to get it out of my system. I have a friend who needs something sweet every single day, and she has probably had sugar every day for years. I do not want to end up like that, it's scary to watch how she makes up reasons and excuses to herself to eat sweets. I swear that sugar is just as addictive as nicotine.

05-02-2007
Brooklyn, baby!

Your body will get used to the change. I've eliminated most (I say most because I will still let myself eat the occasional desert) because there are of the sugar (besides fruit and honey) from my diet. Eventually your body gets used to the change, and no longer craves "bad" sweets. Before, I wasn't a big fan of fruit, but now I crave it over "bad" sweets. Good luck!

05-02-2007
front row

Hmm...I notice that I crave sugar the most when my energy is low. I would suggest eating small, regular meals and making sure you get enough protein and whole grains throughout the day and maybe it will make it easier to stay away from sugary foods. I think if you keep your blood sugar level relatively even it will be much easier to give it up. And like many people said, fruit is awesome. I love things like strawberries because they're sweet and they are so healthy.

06-02-2007
front row

My doctor reccomended that I eliminate sugar from my diet, and I have, slowly! Well, I guess I still eat a little honey on my yoghurt, but I've really cut out things like cakes and biscuits. Anyway, its been a few months, but my skin looks so good! I really feel its because of the changes I've made to my diet. Also, my dark under-eye circles are pretty much gone!

06-02-2007
backstage pass

^^^
Wow, I wonder if my dark circles are sugar related?

I've been trying hard to cut back on my sugar consumption. I've stopped eating sugary snacks at work - which isn't easy because someone down the hall keeps a candy dish. I use Splenda in my coffee or get a soy latte, which has enough sugar added for me. I've found that if I don't have any sugar in the morning its much easier for that day, but if I have something sugary in the a.m. it sets me off to wanting it all day.

I really think some people are more sensitive, my mom and I both go nuts for chocolate, white bread, rice, but my sister doesn't. She's lucky that way.

06-02-2007
front row

I'm trying to replace a lot of sugar with splenda. I'll never give up the chocolate completely, but sugar in anything else isn't hard for me to give up.

06-02-2007
fashion insider

This isn't weight discussion or anything but I've read things similar to this over the years:

Quote:
Can Splenda Cause Weight Gain?

Yes, all diet sweeteners can cause weight gain for many reasons. The body doesn’t consider Splenda (or any chemical sweetener) as food; therefore, fake sugars don’t satisfy your body’s demand for nourishment, which in turn increases your craving for real food.

Simple carbs (manmade sugars) pass through the intestinal wall into the bloodstream. This means weight gain, increased fat and elevated blood sugar that can lead to weight gain. And Splenda is a simple carbohydrate!

Carbohydrates are the most abundant source of energy found in nature. They are products of plant photosynthesis, which provide the plant’s fuel for life in the form of sugar. When we eat complex carbs, we are eating the plant’s energy, which in turn becomes our own energy. When we eat the right kind of carbs, we are providing our bodies with fuel so we can perform daily activities from thinking about work to walking up a flight of stairs. If you are eating a balanced diet with reasonably sized portions, carbohydrates from natural sugars should not cause weight gain. But these days we are victims of the “fear of carbs and sugar” fad, and the artificial sweetener manufacturers seem to be taking advantage of this with a "sugar-free" marketing frenzy. And don't forget that Splenda is a simple carb.
This will probably be edited because it has the word 'weight' in it. I just dislike artificial sweeteners. They don't seem very healthy to me. :/

06-02-2007
scenester

Don't know if anyone's said this, but eliminating sugar completely is actually very dangerous for you. You see, the brain needs sugar, it's the energy that makes your brain work. Cutting out all sugar will at some point make your brain use it's natural fat (glia cells i.e) as energy, which can cause it to short-circuit. Bottomline is that you can end up having fits or worse, have basically any kind of mental issues.

So never ever cut out all sugar! Eat fruit daily and do allow yourselves sweets like once a week.

/Anna

backstage pass

Location: Second or Third Circle of Hell, depending on the day
Your brain's main food is carbohydrate, not refined sugar. It technically is a carb but it's the least healthy way to get your daily carbs in. Plus I was only aiming to cut out sugary junk, not all sugars

06-02-2007
front row

For a religious fast (Lent(im not catholic so i do not go by the traditional lent restrictions)i eliminated all sugar from my diet.I then kept on doing it because my skin looked amazing.I have always had very good skin but eliminating sugar made it even better.During the holidays, i started to eat sugar again.Now i'm going back to no sugar.I have some oreos because its very hard to quit cold.I plan to eliminate cookies by next week.Its better to pace yourself tho.I suggest apples or honeydew to quench any sugar craving your getting.Non natural sugar is bad for your health but sugar in some form is essential to health.I hope you do well on your goal.Just pace yourself.

Sonja

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
diet, eliminating, sugar