How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
07-02-2007
  31
Zen
V.I.P.
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: California
Gender: femme
Posts: 5,722
My sugar cravings were wild at one point. Too much of it and bouncing all over the place. After that sugar rush dies, I die with it, crashing into this deep moody, bitching attitude. Take more processed sugary foods and I'm right back up to being all happy again! Caffeine had that effect on me as well. I kicked caffeine out the door too! That was sooo hard to do.

Now, I eat more of a vegetarian way. The more I eat fruits and vegetables, whole grains, whole wheat, I crave more of it. Your body changes over time. It's getting used to, but before you know it, that's all your body craves. I have seen good benefits to not eating meats, some dairy, and sweet, sugary, processed foods. However, one can't completely deprive themselves. I will each night at the end of my dinner eat a bite size reeses peanut butter cup for dessert! No more, no less. :p ...and oh! I do eat sugary stuff on special ocassions like the holidays or birthdays but not TOO MUCH...


Last edited by Zen; 07-02-2007 at 12:19 AM.
  Reply With Quote
 
07-02-2007
  32
V.I.P.
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 5,773
I don't believe in Splenda etc, but I neither like sugar. I try to avoid sugary treats the best I can. Of course there is sugar almost anything we eat, in fruits etc, but that is different. There is a massive change when I do eat sugar (as in refined sugar) and when I don't. When I don't, I have a lot more energy, I am happier, my skin looks better, my metabolism is better, my mood is better... There are a lot of benefits for me. What kind of bugs me is that everyone is supposed to like cookies etc. I prefer a nice juicy apple, I don't think a cookie tastes good plus it makes me thirsty. But when trying to say this to other people, they ask you if you are on a diet and it is considered extremely rude to say no to a piece of cake. Anyone else has these experiences? How do you deal with them? Do you just say you don't eat that or ... ?

Good luck to all of those who are in the process of doing this I can recommend buying a lot of juicy, fresh fruits and berries. You will quickly notice they have much more flavor than chocolate.

__________________
"Because of all sorts of cloth have their motions, as well as Bodies, it must needs that they differ in themselves." -Lomazzo
  Reply With Quote
07-02-2007
  33
fashion icon
 
sYdneY__'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Gender: femme
Posts: 3,115
^ OH MY GOSH I totally know what you mean!! All of my friends think I'm the strangest person in the world because I prefer to eat really healthily. They don't understand it when I say no to birthday cake and they think it's weird that I'll bring my own food if I know they are going to be ordering in greasy pizza at video nights. I don't understand why I'm the one thats considered weird? Why is it more normal to fill your body with processed fatty junk? The worst part about it all is that it does make me feel like an outsider sometimes or like something is wrong with me. It really starts to screw with you after a while But I guess you just have to ignore it and know deep down that you are doing whats best for your body!

  Reply With Quote
12-02-2007
  34
you set the scene
 
cestmagique's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 11,593
It seems like other people look down on it because they think that you consider yourself superior. When I was vegan my family was really annoyed by it because they thought I judged them when they brought home a pound of chicken. But that simply wasn't true... anyway I've been feeling like crap lately so I did a complete overhaul of my eating habits, including cutting out sugar. When I'm at home I always eat my own food so my family thinks nothing of it, but it's harder when I'm at a friend's house or out to eat. I just try to avoid making eating a social thing; and making it a money issue always works too! A friend of mine always wants to try new, relatively expensive restaurants so I just tell her that I'm trying to save money and we go to a dollar movie instead. Feigning illness always works too, or saying you just ate and you're full... kind of sucks to have to strategize so much just because you care about you own health though!!

__________________
"Marriage is for singles who are quitters."
NTSF: SD: SUV
  Reply With Quote
12-02-2007
  35
fashion insider
 
misssakura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Auckland/Berkshire
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,381
Uhoh..i'm drinking a cappucino. But I did turn down icecream last night....and a chocolate bar.

  Reply With Quote
12-02-2007
  36
backstage pass
 
sakina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 818
I'm the opposite of most of you.

I don't crave just sugar AT ALL. In fact, I usually complain that my drinks/ candy are too sweet. Although I still eat a good amount of chocolate and cream and what not, it's the fat I crave not the sugar.

I also tend to have rather low blood sugar a lot of the time and have to have some candy just so I don't feel dizzy. However, almost none of my food has refined sugar so maybe I'm not getting as much as my body craves.

  Reply With Quote
16-02-2007
  37
scenester
 
starfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: malmö, sweden
Gender: femme
Posts: 56
I was a huge sugar-addict until one day last summer when I decided to eliminated ALLLL refined sugar, which meant no more sweet chili sauce, no more white bread, no more... anything basically.

me eliminating sugar had nothing to do with a weightloss either, but I was afraid of it sounding that way and didn't know how else to explain it, so I didn't want to tell my parents and when they invited me to dinner (which doesn't happen all that often, but still), they had made cookies, bread, ice cream etc. for dessert and I don't want to be rude. so slowly, but surely I kind of slipped back into my old habbits 3 or 4 months later.

my problem is that I can't eat anything moderately, too. I'm incapable of saving anything for later, I have to eat all the candy I got at the store, even though it'll make me feel ill.

I still crave candy, but not as much anymore. the big mistake I am making is that I'm actually allowing it to myself these days, which is not good. before I would climb the walls if I didn't get my sugar. nowadays it's actually most oftenly making me feel sick.

__________________
I can tell you why I like seashells
you can tell me why you love changing
  Reply With Quote
16-02-2007
  38
you set the scene
 
cestmagique's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 11,593
^I can't moderate anything either. I am okay with eating natural sugars like honey (though I limit them) and so yesterday I had some organic ice cream. After that ONE instance I am now reeeeally wanting sugar! It's so irritating. I can go weeks without wanting sugar and then after a bit of controlled freedom, cravings come back so quickly. So either I just deal with these rough patches or I cut all of it out forever.

__________________
"Marriage is for singles who are quitters."
NTSF: SD: SUV
  Reply With Quote
20-02-2007
  39
V.I.P.
 
MulletProof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 24,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by BodhiTree
My sugar cravings were wild at one point. Too much of it and bouncing all over the place. After that sugar rush dies, I die with it, crashing into this deep moody, bitching attitude.
sounds like me!
I now buy a large caramel frappé with extra caramel every single day, rain or shine.. it makes me so happy. I know I need to slow down.. but a vegetarian lifestyle will never get me quite as "high"..

__________________
Metal teeth of carousels.
  Reply With Quote
20-02-2007
  40
rising star
 
annelein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by cestmagique
It seems like other people look down on it because they think that you consider yourself superior. When I was vegan my family was really annoyed by it because they thought I judged them when they brought home a pound of chicken. But that simply wasn't true... anyway I've been feeling like crap lately so I did a complete overhaul of my eating habits, including cutting out sugar. When I'm at home I always eat my own food so my family thinks nothing of it, but it's harder when I'm at a friend's house or out to eat. I just try to avoid making eating a social thing; and making it a money issue always works too! A friend of mine always wants to try new, relatively expensive restaurants so I just tell her that I'm trying to save money and we go to a dollar movie instead. Feigning illness always works too, or saying you just ate and you're full... kind of sucks to have to strategize so much just because you care about you own health though!!
I have a friend who tends to bring her own food and decline most things our group of friends offer. She eats very healthy, whereas the rest of us are more normal. I, and from what I've gathered other people in our group, don't exactly "look down" on her for her eating choice. But we are saddend when our food offerings are not accepted - it is a joy to cook for your friends and having the gift of food refused can feel like your signs of affection are being refused. We know that she is not refusing us. But there is no denying that happily accepting a cooked meal as is, rather than picking through it discarding most parts of it as "bad", is a smoother social greasing.

Even if you/my friend/whoever tries, for the sake of the own health which objectively is commendable, to avoid making eating a social thing - it still is for the people around. Sharing a meal is a bonding thing and refusal to partake could be seen as a refusal to bond ... (Also, sharing in "forbidden acts" like pigging out on cakes together makes a strong bonding experience. Showing your weakness, for ex for chocolate, and having the other person accept that makes friends. Showing your weakness and having the other person confirm that it indeed is a weakness than can be overcome, only that you, you weak weak chocoguffing piggy, haven't, doesn't make friends in the same smooth manner ... )

Just providing the "other side" of superhealthy eating versus normal "aware" eating habits and some group dynamics based on my observations.

  Reply With Quote
20-02-2007
  41
rising star
 
annelein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 102
And more on topic of sugar-cutting:

Has anyone tried practise what our mums and dads told us when we were little? "There is often-food, and there is seldom-food." I kind of believe in the diet-free day, so that when you crave that cookie, you know that you can have it on Friday and are hence able to hold out. Hopefully, craving will have subsided until Friday and you live another day.

  Reply With Quote
20-02-2007
  42
you set the scene
 
cestmagique's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 11,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by annelein
I have a friend who tends to bring her own food and decline most things our group of friends offer. She eats very healthy, whereas the rest of us are more normal. I, and from what I've gathered other people in our group, don't exactly "look down" on her for her eating choice. But we are saddend when our food offerings are not accepted - it is a joy to cook for your friends and having the gift of food refused can feel like your signs of affection are being refused. We know that she is not refusing us. But there is no denying that happily accepting a cooked meal as is, rather than picking through it discarding most parts of it as "bad", is a smoother social greasing.

Even if you/my friend/whoever tries, for the sake of the own health which objectively is commendable, to avoid making eating a social thing - it still is for the people around. Sharing a meal is a bonding thing and refusal to partake could be seen as a refusal to bond ... (Also, sharing in "forbidden acts" like pigging out on cakes together makes a strong bonding experience. Showing your weakness, for ex for chocolate, and having the other person accept that makes friends. Showing your weakness and having the other person confirm that it indeed is a weakness than can be overcome, only that you, you weak weak chocoguffing piggy, haven't, doesn't make friends in the same smooth manner ... )

Just providing the "other side" of superhealthy eating versus normal "aware" eating habits and some group dynamics based on my observations.
I can see your point. I wasn't saying that all 'normal' people look down on healthy eaters; my family did though. It's weird because I wasn't refusing to eat my mother's parmigiana or whatever that she slaved over for hours, but if she brought home a bucket of KFC I would most of the time give a polite 'no thanks,' and even if I had just eaten the family would still roll their eyes. Frankly, I don't have to eat like everyone else and it's annoying getting crap for it. I am sugar sensitive so why would anyone in their right mind get angry that I wouldn't try a bit of their cake or something?? Besides IMO social eating is part of why people become overweight; my friends and I used to meet up for lunch, then go to the mall where we'd get smoothies, then to the movies for cokes/candy/popcorn, and then of course we'd be "starving" when we got home. Thank god for young metabolisms, but they won't always be that way. That's why my friends and I try to do things that don't have to involve eating, like taking our dogs to the park. They're understanding about it. Anyway I hope I haven't offended you; the points I made in my other post were based on my personal experiences.

__________________
"Marriage is for singles who are quitters."
NTSF: SD: SUV
  Reply With Quote
20-02-2007
  43
rising star
 
annelein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by cestmagique
I can see your point. I wasn't saying that all 'normal' people look down on healthy eaters; my family did though. It's weird because I wasn't refusing to eat my mother's parmigiana or whatever that she slaved over for hours, but if she brought home a bucket of KFC I would most of the time give a polite 'no thanks,' and even if I had just eaten the family would still roll their eyes. Frankly, I don't have to eat like everyone else and it's annoying getting crap for it. I am sugar sensitive so why would anyone in their right mind get angry that I wouldn't try a bit of their cake or something?? Besides IMO social eating is part of why people become overweight; my friends and I used to meet up for lunch, then go to the mall where we'd get smoothies, then to the movies for cokes/candy/popcorn, and then of course we'd be "starving" when we got home. Thank god for young metabolisms, but they won't always be that way. That's why my friends and I try to do things that don't have to involve eating, like taking our dogs to the park. They're understanding about it. Anyway I hope I haven't offended you; the points I made in my other post were based on my personal experiences.
I see your point too, am definitely not offended. My friends group also try to take walks instead of drinking wine and eating snacks (we tend to do fifty-fifty though) and when we hang at cafes for hours we hang over coffees or tea, not coffees and cakes (most times). We try!

  Reply With Quote
21-02-2007
  44
tfs star
 
shoexgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: California
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,651
I'm the type of person who is always on the lookout for the next sweet. My favorites are dessert crepes, cream puffs, any kind of light cakes, chocolates and cheese cake! I need this more than anyone! I'm at serious risk for diabetes but I don't think about it as it flows into my mouth. I've got to stop. I'm getting checked for diabetes on Thursday. I hope my bloodwork gives a negative result that I don't have it. But tonight after dinner I wanted some chocolate chip cookies and I had a huge serving of grapes. They were sweet and the kind of sugar they have satisfied me.

__________________
"Only happiness is intrinsically valuable; other things are valuable insofar as they contribute to happiness"
  Reply With Quote
21-02-2007
  45
fashion icon
 
sYdneY__'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Gender: femme
Posts: 3,115
^ Reaching for the grapes instead of the cookies was awesome! You are making a great first step! Well done

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
diet, eliminating, sugar
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 PM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.