How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-02-2007
backstage pass

Location: Second or Third Circle of Hell, depending on the day
Eliminating sugar from your diet
I just want to start off by saying that I'm not looking for weight-loss diet advice I want to modify my current diet to optimise my health, both physical and mental.

I am very seriously contemplating cutting out sugary junk for good. I have never been able to stop at one square of chocolate, or one biscuit (cookie). I have attempted to practise moderation and failed miserably. Failure = depression = more biscuits

This would be a *huge* challenge for me. Rarely a day goes by that I would not consume some sweet food, and it is by far my favourite type of food. There is little I enjoy more than dunking chocolate bicuits in a cup of hot tea, pathetic as that is! :p

Has anybody ever cut out a food/ food group that they felt they were addicted to? How hard was it, and how long did it take for you to stop craving it? Is it possible to reach a point where you can breeze past the e.g. dessert menu and not even feel like you're missing out?

03-02-2007
V.I.P.

lucky for me, I have conquered sugar!
Yes it is possible.
Swap a sweet for a fruit and keep a food diary so you can improve.
I keep a food diary. It's not much of a hassle.
=]

03-02-2007
fashion icon

Good to hear that you are wanting to make such a healthy change! I'm the same as you in that I can't seem to stop after one square of chocolate etc either so the only thing that works for me is to cut out sweets completely as sad as that is. And to tell you the truth after about a week of not eating them you don't crave them at all and to be honest - I don't miss it one bit!! I feel so much healthier too! If you do crave something sweet when you first start off try replacing it with something like frozen grapes or even dried fruit like dates.

Wishing you luck!!

03-02-2007
backstage pass

Thank you both so much for responding...it's great to know that I'm not the only one who is a bit of a psycho when it comes to sugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetFantasy
Swap a sweet for a fruit
I have seen this advice touted a lot. I'll try it, but since I'm generally quite ambivalent towards fruit I can't imagine that it's going to go even 0.001% of the way to curbing my cravings.

sYdneY__ : I'm definitely going to have to go down the route of total denial like you. I gave up sugar for about 4 months before, and it STILL didn't curb my cravings, you're so lucky!

03-02-2007
fashion icon

That's okay

Yeah it can be really tough especially if everyone around you is consuming sugar like it 's going out of style

I found that over the Xmas/New Year period I really struggled to get away from sugar again but I'm slowly getting back on track at the moment. I so wish I was one of those people that could eat it in moderation but I'm obviously not and probably never going to be!

I've sent you a PM!

03-02-2007
trendsetter

I don't know if it is possible to eliminate it completely. I mean, sugar is everywhere. If you just want to be healthy, just don't eat so many processed foods and that should cut down on your sugar consumption.

fashion icon

^ Yeah I totally know what you mean. I mean even some yogurts have sugar in them. I just try to eliminate highly processed junk food style sugars.

03-02-2007
scenester

I used to love sugar, and then I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes (it's sometimes called "juvenile diabetes"). I can no longer eat table sugar in anything (I can have fruits, which have natural sugar), because it will make me very sick. I still crave sweets, but now I eat food with "Splenda" in them. It's a sugar substitute, that's made from sugar (I don't understand how that works, but my endocrinologist says it's completely safe for me to eat). It doesn't have any calories, and is healthier than sugar. It could be an option for you to start weaning yourself off table sugar (that way you wouldn't have to cut it out cold-turkey). hth.

03-02-2007
front row

Thank goodness for a thread like this, lol! I'm a sugar addict (there is actually such thing) and it's driving me nuts. It's very similar to any other addiction, actually. I take lots of sugar knowing I shouldn't really be doing it, get high, crash, get depressed, take it again... My fear is that it might turn into diabetes or something and put me at risk. It's so difficult to stop though cause if it weren't, I would have done it a long time ago.

03-02-2007
V.I.P.

UGH, I seriously wish I could cut some sugar out of my life . 2 of my grandparents died from diabetes, one of them went blind right before dying, I feel like..if I keep at this pace, I will soon join them in diabetes-limbo .
I really don't know how to live without it, I feel so tired and with very low blood pressure if I don't eat something sweet.. I've tried replacing it with water but it doesn't work, I go back to one BIG sugary-something at one point of the day or week. my body just aims for it.

tfs star

I'm thinking of cutting out sugar form my diet too. I read somwehere that it's suopposed to be really good for the skin and energy levels. And who couldn't do with better skin and higher energy levels It's also going to be challenge for me. I love cakes and biscuits and I love to bake. The only food I've actually managed to eleminate were chips; doritos, lays, ruffles and the ilk. And that's not even a food group.

Does anyone know if they're a difference between refined and unrefined sugar? And how will I know if something contains refined or unrefined sugar?

blog: http://pascommedesenfants.blogspot.com
04-02-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxkissbangxx
I'm a sugar addict (there is actually such thing) and it's driving me nuts. It's very similar to any other addiction, actually. I take lots of sugar knowing I shouldn't really be doing it, get high, crash, get depressed, take it again...
This is me all over, and recently my sugar "lows" have been getting really bad (probably because they're combined with feelings of guilt).

Because I know that I'm not a moderate person and will have to go the whole hog, I'm now torturing myself with thoughts like "I can't believe I'm never going to have a M&S cookie/ Cadbury's creme egg/ caramel square again" (UK and Ireland based people will know what these are :p), which really isn't helping me!

God, I frustrate myself! I just have to pick a day to start and work towards it....somehow accept my fate...

04-02-2007
fashion insider

I'm a sugarholic though. Substitutes I have found are:

a) Raw coconut. I just nibble away at it throughout the day.
b) Sweet potato. I love this stuff. Especially roasted. In fact any veggie chips are good to have around as a stash, parsnip etc..
c) Nuts. Especially things like cashews because they're naturally quite sweet.
d) Bananas. Strawberries. Any fruit is good but I like the fruit I can nibble. Strawberries are probably my favourite.
e) Chocolate body cream. Before you say anything - it's not to eat. It just smells so good I sniff my hands instead of getting caramel/chocolate snacks. It's sort of like when I sniff my room mate's tuna pizza and imagine i'm eating it.

04-02-2007
backstage pass

i really don't like this trend to judge some special kind of food like sugar, carbs or fat and completely exclude it from your menu. this can't be healthy at all (unless you have to stick to a special diet because of medical reasons).
imo everyone of us should learn to eat healthyly and just as much as your body needs - but not more.
the point is that this is much more difficult to follow than just strictly to ban these food, for example as people are used to get weak and eat tons of chocolate instead of one ar pieces a day.

04-02-2007
backstage pass

Good luck! I do this from time to time, for several weeks to several months. I think the longest I was off sugar was 6 months. What always makes me fail is the fruit!

For me personally, something like dates, grapes, orange, pineapple, etc, causes my blood sugar to spike the same way - and sometimes worse than - a cookie or a piece of cake. I have to stay away from most fruit if I'm going to be successful and see any improvement (it's medical, not weight related for me, I have difficulties with my blood sugar and how it relates to my hormones).

It helps that I've never really had a sweet tooth, I always tend to go for salty or fatty foods instead. Except at certain times of the month, then I think I would kill for a piece of chocolate, as cliche as that is.

Right now I'm mostly sugar free - no cakes, cookies, pies, etc. We're gluten free, so the simple carbs of white bread/flour are out anyway and gluten free sweet substitutions are revolting. I make lowfat, no sugar added banana-yogurt milkshakes with flaxseed sometimes, and I put raw turbinado sugar in my coffee on sundays, and the occasional square of dark chocolate or a clementine. I don't really miss it all that much and am hoping I can stick with it for longer this time, because I really do notice a positive difference in my body and health.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
diet, eliminating, sugar