How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-01-2008
V.I.P.

^ exactly generally as far as i know perfumes are for women and clones are for men

15-01-2008
V.I.P.

..... colognes my dear. clones are entirely different things

16-01-2008
jedinečnej krásy

i always thought that at their root, perfume and cologne are the same thing. the difference is that perfume has a higher volume of alcohol and perfume then cologne.

16-01-2008
Storm & Sommer

I agree I think they are basically the same in root...

The interesting story of 4711 if anyone is interested

pinterest : hanneonpin
18-01-2008
Rebaptising my badness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemova View Post
Today I bought CH by Carolina Herrera, The One by Dolce & Gabbana and J'Adore. Tomorrow I'll finally buy Acqua di Parma.
So I tried the Acqua di Parma colognes and perfumes and none of them interacted well with my skin. I ended up buying CK's Euphoria for men for my boyfriend instead. I'm totally in love with it.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanne View Post
I agree I think they are basically the same in root...

The interesting story of 4711 if anyone is interested
thank you Hanne
4711 is a true classic in some parts of Europe, my family and i have a lasting relationship with it. i think niche fragrance lovers unfamiliar with 4711 might really appreciate it

Soviet Camaro

Yes, thanks Hanne for the interesting read!

Today I am wearing Kolnische Juchten, which allegedly is an even older cologne than 4711. It was originally made by Farina, but this version is by Parfums Regence and made in Paris. Here is the description of it (from ThePerfumedCourt)

Quote:
Kolnisch Juchten was first produced a couple of hundred years ago by Johann Maria Farina, the world’s oldest Eau de Cologne manufacturer in Cologne, established in 1709. This is a rich, smoky leather scent unlike anything else. “Juchten” is the German word for Russian leather. The rich, woody, smoky odor that came to be associated with Russian leather is due to the application of birch tar in the tanning process. A very deep, dark, balsamic fragrance that smells of old black leather, tar, and charred woods. The notes are leather, amber, tobacco, a hint of woods, spices and finally, in the drydown, patchouli.

fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSunday View Post
i always thought that at their root, perfume and cologne are the same thing. the difference is that perfume has a higher volume of alcohol and perfume then cologne.
Cologne and EDTs are the lightest in concentration and have higher alcohol contents.
EDP is the next strongest in concentration and Parfum is the highest (besided like a pure essential/fragrance oil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Perfume extract (Extrait): 20%-40% (IFRA: typical 25%) aromatic compounds
Eau de Parfum (EdP): 10-30% (typical ~15%) aromatic compounds
Eau de Toilette (EdT): 5-20% (typical ~10%) aromatic compounds
Eau de Cologne (EdC): 2-5% aromatic compounds
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfume

21-01-2008

Lately I have been into "food" parfumes.. you know, like Yver Rocher have many smells like Apple, Licorice, Raspberry, Strawberry and my favorite Pear. Also I have tried Sugar apple and Cotton candy by Body fantasies. I think those are nice smells but maybe I don't want to smell like them too often.

Of course there are some more like fragrance such as Pink Sugar and Dessert treats' Candy and Cupcake, which is my new favorite.. It starts with cherry but after some seconds it turns some adorable sweet. So sweet. Sometimes I want off all the flower things and citrus and it's nice to try something new, even if I usually go soon back my old favorites.. Would be awful if I wouldn't have sense of smell.

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma peel View Post
http://www.basenotes.net

good info on all perfurmes!
Check out their forums too. They have lots of people who are AVID perfume collectors. If you're curious about a specific perfume chances are someone there has tried it. (I personally am a fan of Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana on Women...among others and I wear sexual by Michel Germain)

Last edited by dolemite; 21-01-2008 at 01:35 PM.
21-01-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasha View Post
But isn't cologne also for women? At least in my language cologne, edT adn edP are 3 different things and they exist as well for men as for women. I'm confused.
It all depends. From my experience, the differences is sometimes is just marketing. Other times, perfumes are sometimes manufactured for both men and women.

Examples of Unisex (perfumes manufactured for both men and women) perfumes would be:

Montale's White Aoud
Detemer Fragrance Library's products
Armani's Prive Eau de Jade

21-01-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveCouture View Post
I just tried Vera Wang "Princess" yesterday and I really liked it...I also tried Sarah Jessica Parker's "Lovely" which I found to be so much more refreshing than her other scent. I'll probably buy them on ebay b/c you usually can get good deals on perfumes there
Be careful of eBay. They may be cheaper but you more than likely will get burned on shipping, be sent a knockoff, or not get the product at all. There are good online perfume stores that may be a few bucks more but they make up for it in customer service.

21-01-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolemite View Post
It all depends. From my experience, the differences is sometimes is just marketing. Other times, perfumes are sometimes manufactured for both men and women.

Examples of Unisex (perfumes manufactured for both men and women) perfumes would be:

Montale's White Aoud
Detemer Fragrance Library's products
Armani's Prive Eau de Jade
ianastar and i wrote about that already. it's got nothing to do with marketing or unisex or not. americans just adapted the term "cologne" as fragrances for men and "perfume" as fragrances for women.

in reality cologne and perfume just mean different concentrations of actual fragrance oils in alcohol.

21-01-2008
tfs star

into kai recently, so fresh though it works for winter too. sort of over my artisan parfumer pepper stage, they just don't last long enough though their mimosa will go back into rotation in the spring...

21-01-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_a_Licious View Post
ianastar and i wrote about that already. it's got nothing to do with marketing or unisex or not. americans just adapted the term "cologne" as fragrances for men and "perfume" as fragrances for women.

in reality cologne and perfume just mean different concentrations of actual fragrance oils in alcohol.
I should have been more clear. I was referring to the differences in mens and womens scents. Perfumes are classified into mens and womens categories as a marketing ploy simply to make hetrosexual men more comfortable to the idea of wearing fragrances.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fragrances, perfumes