How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-08-2007
fashion elite

For my upcoming birthday, I am thinking of using at LEAST $100 on cologne (or maybe even some perfumes, too). What are some suggestions for things I should buy?

29-08-2007
tfs star

hmm...I will have a look at what my brother has to see for you ( I don't know much about male scents)

Rebaptising my badness

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowetpink View Post
I haven't heard of those Dior ones Nemova! Are they common?
Dior Me Dior Me Not is a limited edition eau de toilette created in 2004. I was lucky to find it still in stock, and I'm in love with it.

Here's the link to it at OsMoz:
http://www.osmoz.com/encyclo/marques...RFUM&LANGUE=en

tfs star

http://www.basenotes.net

good info on all perfurmes!

29-08-2007
Rebaptising my badness

^Great site, thanks for sharing!

Rebaptising my badness

History of Perfumes
Brand: Creed

Quote:
The House of Creed is the world's only privately held luxury fragrance dynasty, founded in 1760 and passed from father to son since then, serving more than 11 royal houses and the public for 247 years. Today the firm is led by sixth-generation perfumer Olivier Creed, who also serves as worldwide chairman of the company. His son, Erwin Creed, the seventh generation, is next in the line of succession. Erwin Creed has already helped in the development of Creed's Love in White fragrance for women and the new unisex Virgin Island Water.
Established in 1760 in London by James Henry Creed, it became a favourite with the aristocracy and royalty, receiving its first royal warrant in 1781 from King George III. Creed was adopted by many of the fashionable courts of Europe: from Napoleon III and Empress Eugénie, to Franz Joseph and Elizabeth of Austria-Hungary, and Queen Christina of Spain. In 1854, the House of Creed moved to Paris under the patronage of Empress Eugénie.
In the twentieth century, Creed continued to be extremely popular with celebrities and aristocrats, especially in the golden age of Hollywood, when many stars commissioned their own personal fragrances.
Creed fragrances for men and women are hand made, using the costly and time-intensive traditional infusion technique. Most of the modern perfume industry has abandoned infusion in favour of mechanized commercial techniques.

Quote:
Commissioned fragrancesOther popular Creed fragrances
References
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creed_%28perfume%29"
Source: Wikipedia

Rebaptising my badness

History of Perfumes
Brand: Acqua di Parma

Quote:
Founded in 1916 in Parma, the Acqua di Parma company started out by offering an Eau de Cologne intended to scent the handkerchiefs of elegant men.

Since the 1930s, this Eau de Cologne or " Colonia " has become a real symbol of Italian elegance. Its success has contributed to the international development of the brand, particularly in the United States. Worn since the 1950s by stars like Humphrey Bogart, Cary Grant or Ava Gardner, today, the " Colonia " has a faithful following that includes Kevin Costner, Woody Allen and Sharon Stone.

In 1993, the family company was taken over by Diego Della Valle, Luca Di Montezemolo and Paolo Borgomanero, respectively founders or CEOs of Tod's, Ferrari and La Perla. The three buyers committed to broaden the Acqua di Parma range by creating new lines: Home Fragrance (pots-pourris, incense, candles…), Home Collection (household linen), Travel Collection (leather accessories), as well as Blu Mediterraneo, an aromatherapy line.

In search of a new partner to bring the necessary funding and know-how to develop the brand internationally, they found the ideal partner in LVMH. In October 2001, the Group acquired 50% of Acqua di Parma capital and Parfums Christian Dior was entrusted with the license for the Italian company's perfumes.

Now based in Milan, Acqua di Parma relies on a very exclusive distribution network with around 900 sales outlets worldwide, including their own boutique in Milan and corners in department stores, and is planning the progressive roll-out of boutiques in the main capital cities.
Source: FragranceX.com

Quote:
The Favorite Scent of the Stars

Movie stars, such as Audrey Hepburn, Ava Gardner, David Niven and Cary Grant, all wore Acqua di Parma's classic scent. This famous Italian perfume matched their elegance, class and style.

The company opened its first small factory in Parma in 1916 and produced its first scent, Acqua di Parma Colonia. This was designed to scent the handkerchiefs of elegant Italian men, at first.

During the most fashionable era of Hollywood - the thirties to the fifties- this light, woody scent with its tones of lemon and rosemary found its appeal. The other heavier, stronger perfumes on the market, mostly from Germany, began to lose their allure. Acqua di Parma became 'the classic symbol of Italian elegance.'

Unfortunately the popularity of this delightful scent began to decline during the sixties and the nineties. It was rescued by three powerful Italian businessmen who all retained a fondness for the classic scent - Luca Montezemolo of Ferrari, Diego Della Vale who owned Tod's, and Paolo Borgomanero, a shareholder of the lingerie company, La Perla. In Montezemolo's case, the Acqua di Parma Colonia scent was his father's favorite. They kept the famous cylindrical bottles and the bright yellow packaging while introducing many other products. These included candles, linen, an aromatherapy line and new perfumes.

The perfume again became popular with celebrities, such as Sandra Bullock and Sharon Stone.

The aromatherapy line, Blu Mediterraneo, was inspired by the Italian landscape and includes bath oils and perfumes. Like the original perfume, this line is unisex, so the products are suitable gifts for men and women.

In 2001 the company was sold to the extremely large high-end brand company, LMVH, but the perfumes are still hand-distilled in Italy.

Last year Acqua di Parma introduced its first female fragrance, Iris Nobile, which was created by the company's 'nose', Paola Paganini. Inspired by the beautiful iris garden in Florence where growers compete for various prizes, she decided to base the perfume on this expensive and delicate flower which is the emblem of Florence. She used the common variety, the blue pallida, and the oil from the rhizomes or thickened stems. These are gathered, dried and distilled over three years.

Catherine di Medici called the scent of the iris, 'the Queen's water', and introduced it to France. Perfumes created from this aristocratic flower have a long history and were very popular in nineteenth century Italy, so it is good to see that they are back in fashion.

Other Acqua di Parma perfumes include the elegant Colonia Assoluta, which is packaged in the company's signature 1930's Art Deco bottle, and the evocative Fico di Amalfi, based on the Mediterranean smell of the fig. This is in the Blu Mediterraneo range.

The company now supplies its toiletries and lavish robes to many luxury hotels and cruise ship lines, such as Silverseas. Its products are sold in stores all over the world, including Harrods, Bergdorf Goodman and Neiman Marcus. These are certainly worth buying for the pleasure of adding a touch of Italian elegance to one's life!

Lisa-Anne Sanderson
Source: Life In Italy

Official website: http://www.acquadiparma.it/acquadiparma.aspx

Rebaptising my badness

I got Rochas' Absolu and Burberry's Weekend today! I'll post my thoughts on them tomorrow.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanAvril View Post

http://www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com/welcome.html - if anyone has gotten something from this site, PLEASE let me know!
I found out about them from a thread on tfs, and since then I've gotten fourteen scents (all imps though) from that site. What would you like to know? Or are you a bpal addict who wants to share the love heehee.

I've got my own scent question/comment. Does anyone remember Dior Addict? It's my one true love...but everytime I bought a bottle it went sour quickly or was already bad. I know perfumes change over time, some more than others, but I was wondering if anyone knew how to get fresh Addict. Maybe refrigerating the perfume? Or does anyone know when they make new batches, so then I could snatch it up and indulge. I really love the perfume, but spending so much money on essentially nothing is a drag; I don't want to throw it out again.

01-09-2007
Rebaptising my badness

Another good site:

http://www.basenotes.net/

scenester

Love this thread ! I am seeking out a new perfume for fall. I have some (I think 4 or 5) Hermes samples and another sample of a frag called Datura Noir by Serge Lutens coming in the mail. I hope one of them turns out to smell great.

01-09-2007
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismarck View Post
I found out about them from a thread on tfs, and since then I've gotten fourteen scents (all imps though) from that site. What would you like to know? Or are you a bpal addict who wants to share the love heehee.
I would like to know if I should start buying there. Just reading all the descriptions of the perfumes make my head hurt. They sound like they smell soooo good!

01-09-2007
tfs star

I am ashamed to say it, but Paris Hilton "Heiress" (sp?) smells so good to me! It reminds me of being a little girl.

Rebaptising my badness

My impressions on my two (not so new) perfumes:

Absolu by Rochas - despite being created in 2002, it smells like the old classics. I must confess I didn't like it that much - it's doesn't smell bad, but it's too heavy and "old lady" to me. I ended up giving it to my mom, because it's the kind of perfume she likes. Its oriental-woody scent evokes the old Givenchy and Hermès perfumes. Very good but a bit too strong for my taste.

Weekend by Burberry - now this is my kind of perfume. Fresh, sweet and, in this specific case, very outdoors-y. Smells like a soothing, floral bath. The scent is very pleasing and it's not overpowering. I strongly recommend it.

Last edited by Nemova; 01-09-2007 at 08:12 PM.
01-09-2007
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemova View Post
My impressions on my two (not so new) perfumes:

Absolu by Rochas - despite being created in 2002, it smells like the old classics. I must confess I didn't like it that much - it's doesn't smell bad, but it's too heavy and "old lady" to me. I ended up giving it to my mom, because it's the kind of perfume she likes. Its oriental-woody scent evokes the old Givenchy and Hermès perfumes. Very good but a bit too strong for my taste.
That's how I felt with Classique by Jean Paul Gaultier. I kept hearing that it was sexy and fresh. Then once I smelled it, my nose was clogged for the rest of the day. It was possibly the strongest perfume I have ever smelled, next to Shalimar. But they both smell great.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fragrances, perfumes