How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-07-2007
& b

just played with glitter eyeliner today

10-07-2007
fashion elite

^^ i love it!

reminds me of a mcqueen.

11-07-2007
rising star

You have great eyebrows.

13-07-2007
Press escape to continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismarck View Post
About the kohl: I believe in this month's Jane magazine there's an article about Egyptian kohl. She went to a shop in Egypt where they do everything by hand (and they have a website too! http://www.nefertaribodycare.com/index.htm). It's all natural, so you're not putting nasty chemicals and preservatives on your face, a downside to make up that I'd never really thought about before--make up like greasy potato chips. But it makes sense when I think about it. They applied some of their kohl to her eyes and she said it lasted all day.

I'm very tempted to get some, but I already have so much eyeliner and it seems so much hassle to ship it overseas. The article also said that Clarins is coming out with a kohl-based formula soon. I'm keeping my eye out for that.
I use powdered kohl from Egypt. Friends bring it to me every three or four years. I have grey that sparkles like mica, and flat black. No binders, just the kohl itself. It's really easy to use and refresh, but I have to check it occasionally because it can build up in the corners of my eyes.

I have seen powdered kohl in Middle Eastern shops and online. Click here, for example but it's currently out of stock.

Last edited by SomethingElse; 13-07-2007 at 02:34 AM.
02-09-2007
trendsetter

God, reading this reminds me of my mother who used to put kohl on my lower lids when I was a baby and toddler (common in Indian culture). It protects and cleans your eyes and makes the whites look very clear and bright. I think I'm going to start using it again and skip the eyeliner pencil.

03-09-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismarck View Post
About the kohl: I believe in this month's Jane magazine there's an article about Egyptian kohl. She went to a shop in Egypt where they do everything by hand (and they have a website too! http://www.nefertaribodycare.com/index.htm). It's all natural, so you're not putting nasty chemicals and preservatives on your face, a downside to make up that I'd never really thought about before--make up like greasy potato chips. But it makes sense when I think about it. They applied some of their kohl to her eyes and she said it lasted all day.

I'm very tempted to get some, but I already have so much eyeliner and it seems so much hassle to ship it overseas. The article also said that Clarins is coming out with a kohl-based formula soon. I'm keeping my eye out for that.
after reading this I looked around online and found that they say a lot of Egyptian kohl has a high amount of lead, which is obviously not so good. found a link to a company called Hashmi, who claims their kohl is lead free. anyone have experience with them? I'd like to try real kohl, but not if it's not safe :/

03-09-2007
trendsetter

Maybe you could try some Indian stores. I don't know if there are any in your location or if these stores would even sell it. The stuff my mom used when I was little was home made, so even I don't know for sure if they sell them. But I am going to start looking for it myself. The Indian names for it are Kajal or Kaadige, if you're interested.

04-09-2007
trendsetter

Thanks I didn't even think of that... I live in SF, there's a large Indian population here - just did a search on the net and found this place: http://www.yelp.com/biz/HSTPTKjdF2F2JJGgGWSXZA

I called them and they sell kohl I'm going down there this evening and checking them out.

04-09-2007
trendsetter

Nice! I haven't had a chance to check out the Indian stores around here just yet, so please let me know what you find. Good luck.

04-09-2007
trendsetter

Went down there a bit a go. The guy was really nice, I found the eyeliner - it's the Hashmi brand. You unscrew it and it's just a stick of kohl mixed with waxes, ect. I tried it on, and it's GREAT for the smudgy eye look. Really easy to blend. I don't know how long it'll last (on my face), but we'll see.

05-09-2007
trendsetter

Awesome Angel, that's great you found something on your first try. Thanks for the picture. I'm gonna go this Friday.

06-09-2007
trendsetter

K, I've worn it a few times now, and the verdict is - I love this stuff It stays on really well (I thought it would smudge all over after a while, but it didn't). It gives any other black eyeliner I've bought a run for it's money, and it was only $2.50. I have a mind to go buy a few more just to have, and maybe send a couple to friends. It glides on really smoothly - so much easier to tightline with it than with my other, smaller pencils. I have a feeling my Dior black waterproof liner is just going to sit in my makeup case now

10-09-2007
trendsetter

*sigh* I really don't know what to think now - did a bit more searching and came across a link that said the Hashmi brand of kohl has been banned in Maryland for containing high levels of lead :/ It didn't say the regular stick, it said "Hashmi Surma Special'.. but if that contains it, what's to say the regular kohl stick doesn't? And is it really something I want to take a risk on? Not really.

Sucks, too. I liked that eyeliner.

http://www.cosmeticsdesign.com/news/...poisoning-lead

1/2/2007 - Maryland authorities have set a precedent in the US after succeeding in their attempts to ban the distribution of lead-based eye cosmetics in the State on the grounds that it could caus lead poisoning.

The authorities mounted a campaign back in September to ban the distribution and sale of kohl-based eye cosmetics in the State. Kohl is popular in the Middle Easter, Africa and India, where it is often used as an eye-liner on children or as a teething product for infants.

The Maryland authorities have specifically targeted a product brand name called Hashmi Surma Special, after tests it carried out showed that it contained high levels of lead that could potentially lead to poisoning, particularly in children.

In response New York-based Best Foods, distributor of such products, reached an agreement with the Maryland authorities to cease distribution of all products containing kohl - specifically the Hashmi brand.

The Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE) has already notified all Maryland health authorities over the potential effects of the product on children.

This came about in September, after two children were diagnosed with lead poisoning in the Stae because they had worn lead-based eye cosmetics.

"Lead is one of the most significant and widespread environmental hazards for children in Maryland but exposure is preventable," said Jonas Jacobson, deputy secretary MDE.

"Although there continues to be a steady decline in childhood lead exposure in Maryland, the goal of protecting children from lead poisoning in the State by 2010 will only be accomplished with the co-operation of local health departments and the public."

The MDE advised the attorney general to ban the Hashmi brand after tests it carried out showed that the brand had particularly high levels of lead. Other kohl-based cosmetic brand names that are widely sold in the US include Kajal, Al-Kajil and Surma.

Kohl is a mixture of soot and other ingredients and is said to be administered to children to both strengthen the eyes and to ward off bad spirits from children.

10-09-2007
trendsetter

Damn, that sucks. I looked for the Hashmi brand but couldn't find it. I bought another little container of kajal, though. The more old fashioned type that you have to apply with your finger. I guess I'll have to look it up and see if there any issues with that one.

I guess the homemade stuff is the best bet after all.

17-08-2008
windowshopping

Eyeliner!
Perhaps a really silly topic, but I myself have difficulties with eyeliner and how to correctly apply it, decent products, etc.

Example: How do you apply eyeliner so that it doesn't appear simply as if your eyes are rimmed?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
eyeliner