How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-07-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_knows_best
Like many others, I love sweets but am limited to 900 calories a day on my diet. To satisfy my sweet tooth I eat ultra low fat cool whip on fruit. the cool whip only has something like 35 calories in 4 tablespoons, and is very satisfying. Also, Equal low cal sugar makes candies that have 10 calories per candy and are very good to punch that chocolate craving. Baskin Robins makes some delicious 10 calorie each candies that come in several different flavours, my favourite is mint chocolate chip, mmm. Berries are fairly low cal as well and really help when you're craving sweets.
Thank you for the tips, but I must say, how can you be limited to 900 calories a day? NO ONE should eat that little. Youre doing yourself and your body a huge disservice by eating so few calories. If you dont get enough, your body goes into starvation mode and that can cause deterioration off your muscle. And as we all know, the heart is a muscle. I dont mean to preach, but please reconsider what you are doing.

Champagne taste on a beer budget...

25-07-2005
windowshopping

^^ What kind of diet are u on that u can only eat 900 caloriess....?

25-07-2005
front row

I looove Miso soup. It's low cal, virtually no fat, and so tasty.

I am a cheese and cracker kind of gal, so my alternative is a couple pieces of Melba toast and low-fat Kiri cheese.

25-07-2005
V.I.P.

rice cakes

25-07-2005
V.I.P.

Extra gum! you must buy Polar Ice though, the others are rubbish and don't last as long

25-07-2005
rising star

I like to stuff myself with handfuls of fruit. But other than that, I made these oragnic cupcakes that were really tasty and really low on calories/fat.

05-08-2005
front row

Question for anyone who might know: will sugar-free Jello make you put on weight? does it have any hidden chemicals that might make you add a few pounds? i ask this because I've been snacking on this sugar-free Jello lately (10 cals per serving, 40 for whole thing) to help me stay full in between meals while I've been watching my weight, and I've actually gained about 4 pounds recently. what's up with that? do you think it's this new snack or something else i'm doing wrong

05-08-2005
trendsetter

Maybe you should jsut drink plenty of water. It keeps you full for awhile.

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaballerina
Question for anyone who might know: will sugar-free Jello make you put on weight? does it have any hidden chemicals that might make you add a few pounds? i ask this because I've been snacking on this sugar-free Jello lately (10 cals per serving, 40 for whole thing) to help me stay full in between meals while I've been watching my weight, and I've actually gained about 4 pounds recently. what's up with that? do you think it's this new snack or something else i'm doing wrong
Hmmm, maybe your metabolism slowed and you should eat little substantial meals every few hours....dont worry , 4 pounds is nothing....it could be water weight as your weight fluctuates throughout the month. Dont get mad at yourself, just try something different if its not working for you.

06-08-2005
windowshopping

Well if it was no calorie it wouldn't fill you up. I personally enjoy veggies and whole grain pitas dipped into hummus.

06-08-2005
Power to the 99%

My suggestion would be to eat a substantial meal so you don't need a snack. (Although I like the cheese and melba idea, I do that too. I like smoked Gouda for lots of taste, and whole-grain, no-fat melba. This is something that really doesn't need fat. It's a good idea to weigh the cheese until you can judge the amount without doing so.)

One of my favorite meals (dinners) when I'm on a diet is spaghetti with parmesan. Sounds decadent, but if you make the sauce yourself with low-fat ground sirloin, add very little fat, tons of veggies, and use thick pasta (glycemic index), the sauce is less than a calorie a gram and no snack needed. (I can give you what passes for a recipe at my house if anyone's interested )

I like Subway, or make your own with a toasted whole wheat pita, honey ham or turkey, and butter lettuce. So good you really don't need any mayo or cheese.

Btw, I do not put artificial sweeteners of any kind into my body EVER, whether I'm on a diet or not. That **** is bad for you.

Another snack idea--cottage cheese with a bit of pure fruit (from a jar) or fresh fruit on top. Fresh raspberries this time of year are so wonderful ... Good breakfast too.

06-08-2005
V.I.P.

celery sticks
air popped popcorn
cucumber slices
creamsicle

06-08-2005
front row

Even though it apparently has more calories, a bottle of water and a handful of nuts or trail mix would be much healthier for you and would go a long way to keeping your body happy. It will also help keep your metabolism up between meals.

Artificial sweeteners, as a whole, are very bad for the body, and WebMD suggests that artificial sweeteners may actually sabotage weight gain. This article goes into slightly more depth, actually mentioning the results of the study. Either way, the upshot is that artificial sweeteners (and most processed foods) are something your body is not well-equipped to handle.

06-08-2005
front row

Thanks to Rachelle, Katmango, and TigerLilly3000 for your wonderful advice, and you were so kind in giving it. Instead of being critical of my slight weight gain, you were positive and encouraging in your words and made me feel like I wasn't a failure. Thanks guys, I appreciate your thoughts, and moreover, the way you deliver them.

06-08-2005
front row

Dear Esmereldagrubb, Fashionista-ta, and Cheepmunk: you guys are the best! All those snack and meal ideas sound delicious, and healthy I am so thankful for the promptness and kindness with which you all responded. It is people like you who continue to make tFS a community of camaraderie and support.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fave, healthy, snack